Thread: MSR Reactor???

Default MSR Reactor???

Just wondering if there is any new information out there on the Reactor? I'm thinking about getting the Whisperlite at the moment. Can anyone talk me one way or the other?

Default MSR Reactor vs Whisperlite

Reactor: a cannister type stove. Bob Hodson at Barney's Sports Chalet likes the Reactor vs JetBoil when compared head to head. Both I think use the isopropane/butane blend canisters only.

Whisperlite: I've been looking at the MSR Whisperlite because it's a multifuel stove - does not accept the cannisters, but will burn white or unleaded gas, or kerosene, and has a good reputation. This is one stove used in back country NOLS courses.

Good luck.

I have a Whisperlite Inernational. It will boil water in about 4-5 minutes. Easy setup, easy storage. I originally bought it to take with me on deployments......no canisters since it burns multi fuel.
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

I am pretty happy with my Whisperlite. Will work in any conditions that I will ever throw at it and I also like the mutiple fuel options. Light and packs small for storage which makes good for backpacking. You would not be disappointed.

Default Vote for Reactor

I like mine, very efficient, low maintenance, if it is cold out, you just put your canister in the bottom of your sleeping bag at night. I have boiled a liter of water in a little over two minutes. IMO seems cleaner as well.

I vote both! The reactor (or jetboil) for warmer light weight hunting and the whisper for extended trips and cold weather.

Thumbs up How much fuel/what kind on the Whisperlight?

What is your favorite type of fuel to burn?

How much do you carry for a week in the field? Or breakdown for days afield?

Weight ratio whisperlight vs. Reactor vs. Jetboil ... with fuel?

Thanks!

Default To be honest

I've only used unleaded gas since that's what's in my four wheeler. As I said, I bought it for deployments and never had the opportunity to use it on my last one. I have a 20 oz bottle I think (the tallest one). I've only used it so far on the weekends while riding, so not for a long period of time but I'm still on that one bottle, so I guess it uses very little gas.

H
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

I have a couple of 20oz bottles and a 32oz bottle for my Whisperlite. I use basic Coleman white fuel and depending on what you are doing (just boiling water, etc.), how much you are doing it, and what the conditions are, you could make a the 32oz bottle easily last for a week or more, but I would recommend having two 20oz bottles just in case. Two 20oz bottles lasted my father and I for a 10 day hunt one year without a problem.

I would recommend taking it out for a couple of camping trips to see what the burn rate is to determine how much you will need and what fuel works best for you.

Default msr

The MSR Reactor is cool looking and all, but just for boiling water in my opinion. Take a look at it up close. I have used the Whisperlite International for several NW float trips and it is a work horse. A pain to preheat in wind at times, and hard to simmer, but works 100% of the time. I bought a MSR Windpro to take on the next NW float this Sept. We are floating the Wulik. I will cook, simmer, etc.. with the Windpro, and boil water and keep the International as a back up. Guess it depends on the type of cooking you will be doing. If just boiling water, the Reactor would be great. But the MSR Windpro (or even Pocket Rocket) do that task very well too. Many ways to skin a cat.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I have the Snow Peak Giga, it's a canister stove. It's super lightweight and no clogging like liquid fuel stoves I've had in the past.

Default on sale...

Saw it on sale till July 21st at Summit Hut (online). It is $111. Best price I have seen it for. Below is the link.

http://www.summithut.com/products/reactor-stove-system/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.