Thread: Impertech smells fishy

Unhappy Impertech smells fishy

I ended up loaning out all three sets of raingear to clean fish a few weeks ago and I ended up having to wear my HH bibs. They now smell like a cannery and I need to get them cleaned up.

I've done everything but power wash them.

Any Ideas

NRSweb.com sells "Sink-The-Stink" in individual tubes. It's supposed to work miracles on protein & bacteria smells. I bought some, but I have not tried it yet, so this is just hearsay.

Have you tried washing them with white vinegar? Works wonders on fastfood clothes

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Soak in 5 gallon bucket of water and Frebreeze for a week.

Try using lemons or lemon juice (one of those little yellow bottles that looks like a lemon). The citric acid can do wonders. Vinegar will work as well. Soaking for a long period may damage the raingear....not sure about that though.

Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    NRSweb.com sells "Sink-The-Stink" in individual tubes.
    I'll look it up!
    Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Have you tried washing them with white vinegar? Works wonders on fastfood clothes
    Through the washin machine or just on the outside? I'll try the outside on a part that isn't so noticeable incase it eats through or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Soak in 5 gallon bucket of water and Frebreeze for a week.
    I think I'd rather smell like a rotten salmon
    Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    Try using lemons or lemon juice (one of those little yellow bottles that looks like a lemon). The citric acid can do wonders. Vinegar will work as well. Soaking for a long period may damage the raingear....not sure about that though.
    Aaah...do bears like lemons I think I should be able to make something work out of vineger and lemons...I'll give it a whirl!

Thanks Folks!!

Put them in a sealed 5 gallon bucket with 4 gallons of charcoal. It's worked for me in the past on other types of clothing.

Red face failed attempts...

Lemons and other acidic fruits...no workie

Simple Green...no workie

Powerwash...no workie

charcoal in bucket...next try

My wife soaked my poly and grundens rain gear in baking soda and water. Over night and washed the poly, rinsed the rain gear. Worked great.

Default I like this idea...

Quote Originally Posted by akjeff View Post
    My wife soaked my poly and grundens rain gear in baking soda and water. Over night and washed the poly, rinsed the rain gear. Worked great.
    bucket of charcoal was okay, but cleaning and smell free would be nice in one shot!

Lysol Kitchen Cleaner (spray). I haven't used it on rain gear, but it completely removes fish odor from coolers including rotting fish smell...(I forgot about all that bloody ice water for a few weeks). I would spray the gear down well and place in a plastic bag overnight, rinse completely the next day and dry. Good Luck!

Anyone have ay new ideas on how to clean their fishing gear not listed above?

I have a set of Grundens that I have had for 4 years now and while I do my best to clean them right after they get 'fishy' sometimes they sit for a day or two.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

I spray mine off with the hose. Then let them soak in a bucket with oxy clean for a day or so. Spray off with the hose again. I then wait for the wife to leave and put them in the washing machine with oxy clean and them them hang dry in the garage or in the shower. They come out smelling great.

Default Impertech smells fishy

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I spray mine off with the hose. Then let them soak in a bucket with oxy clean for a day or so. Spray off with the hose again. I then wait for the wife to leave and put them in the washing machine with oxy clean and them them hang dry in the garage or in the shower. They come out smelling great.
    Lol wait for the wife to leave. That's the key to the whole process right?

I got busted once washing my rain gear with fish guts on them and she was not impressed. It was better then when she caught me cleaning new traps in the dish washer. She got a little upset with that one. The funny thing is that I'm the one that installed the dish washer so I figured I could use it for what I wanted to.

Just a word of warning...

#2 son cleaned an AR upper in the dishwasher using Simple Green and we had suds over half the kitchen...mother was not happy...nor was I. One other thing... the meat residue from a grinder will bake on the sides and racks of the dishwasher during the drying cycle and is a real pain to remove and cooked on rancid deer fat really stinks on the 3rd day. Just trying to keep you guys out of trouble!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Default Impertech smells fishy

Thanks for the words of advice. Need to stay in the good graces with the Warden.