Thread: tustumena moose

Default tustumena moose

just looking for some help, my brother is coming from MN to hunt in august with me he already had to buy a hunting liscense when we applied for goats this winter so we figured we'd go moose hunting instead. i was thinking about somewhere on the south shore of tustumena, i have heard of the horrible winds that can come up abruptly there and have been told that i need to get the boat all the way out of the water if i'm going to leave it. so if anyone has done this at all i would like any help i can get.

I would recommend scrapping the hunt along the south shore of the lake. Way more moose closer in to the population centers. Too many bears and wolves in the area you are proposing. Take a drive around Coho Loop or Kalifornski Loop and you will see what I mean. Drive it really early in morning. And yes if you decide to go to the lake any way, there is no safe anchorage until you get to Devils Bay. The winds can kill.

I have done this. We used a couple of block and tackle set-ups with a length of rope, along with a well placed stump. We used wet logs to pull the boat up on, then we wet the logs down again when we put the boat back in the water. Yes, it was a PITA, but it worked. I had a fairly lightweight boat at the time, with a heavier boat, it would be nearly impossible. It does have the tendency to get very windy on the south end of Tustamena, I would recommend using caution at all times on that lake, it can come up quick, as well as there are some shallow spots that will ruin your day for sure.

Default tustumena moose

My uncle got a permit for the north side years a go. We new of all the wind that they talk about so we brought three come-a-longs, pulleys and lots of rope to pull his 16' boat out of the lake with. When we got to our camp we cut a bunch of trees and laid them in front of the boat then used the come-a-longs to pull the boat several feet from the water. It took most of the day but we had the Stern a good three feet out of the water. After that we took the anchor and placed it a long ways up in the woods. We thought that it would be safe. The next day the wind came up in the afternoon so hard that we could hear the waves crashing on the beach a mile from the lake. We rushed back to find the boat gone. The anchor rope had been wore through by a tree at the end of the chain. We found the boat several hundred feet from camp overturned in waste deep water. We spent the rest of that day and most the next pulling it out. We had photos of the waves braking over our heads as we worked to get all the rocks and water out. We thought that we might be stuck there but after it dried out for a few days it ran fine. As for bears, that week we counted 22 grizzles. We had three walk through our camp wile we were there but they did not bother us. We also counted several black bears on the mountain side. At one point I was scared to death thinking that I was walking through the kitchen of a big bear. While I was hunting I walked into a spot that was tore up. There wasn't a peace of ground that wasn't over turned in front of me. I loaded my gun and started walking backward. I tripped over something and landed fail. I looked down to see the head of A moose sticking half out of the ground between my legs. I jumped up quickly, freaked out and heard a grunt beside me. I turned to see a Wolverine lumbering a way. I think that that was the closed I've ever came to leaving a load in my shorts. The good news was that I saw Three bulls on this trip. One that was really big but it was running away when I saw it and did not stop. If you go I would have someone drop you off at camp then come back to pick you up.

little dave wants to keep this spot to himself!
    Just kidding.
    Some places are not to be fooled with lightly.
    Although I'm not familiar with this area, it sounds like you've gotten some very valuable local knowledge given to you. I would advise using it.
    Every year we hear or read about people or situations that are deadly that, with local knowledge, were avoidable.

We spent a week on Tustamena last year on the non permit side and didn't see much. A couple of burns combined with a ton of brown bears have left little moose in the area IMO.

Come on...

Everyone knows there are no brown bears on the Kenai Peninsula other than the couple or so who work the Russian River! Otherwise, there'd be a registration hunt that would stay open for more than ten minutes!

(wink)

Taylor