Thread: Check your swivels

Default Check your swivels

I went out butt fishing at Deep Creek this past 4th. I only had a few old swivels and so I stopped in the Ninilchick tackle store. I bought some swivels that had spiral rings on the end of the swivel. These spirals are very small and your line gets caught in between the two ends of the metal circle, dose that make sense? Well I ended up losing two sets of gear and the butt on the end because the two ends of the wire cut into the line. Now it couldíve been the nut behind the wheel but Iím sure I tied them correctly. Has anybody else had this problem?

Is this what you are talking about?

I run my main line of 50-80# gel spun through 80# dacron and tie with a palomar. I've never had a failure or problem with that setup and like the corskscrew as I can quickly change terminal tackle from bait to jig.

Just keep tension on your line, or you run the risk of tangling up.

Yeah thats the good one. Those are the old ones I have but the ones I bought have a key chain like spiral link instead of the solid loop. I can't get a decent picture but it the same as a ring you would put on a key chain.

Are you saying that the line tie is a split ring like the rings used to hold the hook on a spoon?

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Are you saying that the line tie is a split ring like the rings used to hold the hook on a spoon?
    Yeah.. I think I got a picuture but I can't get my photobucket account open to post a pic.

I usually pick up a dozen of the 4/0's from BJ commercial every year. I also will tie the main line into a 4/0 swivel with 18" of 300# mono, and a 4/0 corkscrew on the other end. You can add a hook with a small grub or hoochie at the swivel, sometimes that extra hook will catch a suprising number of fish.

Hay thanks I'll try that. A buddy of mine thinks I might have had the tension on the reels set to high. I don't know, live and learn I guess but I'm not buying those other swivels regaurdless.