Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hunting regs new law

Thumbs down hunting regs new law

New law says no electronic game calls for moose, I loaded brush thrashing on mine, knew it was too good to last
    Last edited by ironartist; 07-08-2008 at 12:09. Reason: reworded
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I was in boondocks yesterday and they had a blow out sale on their electronic moose callers. LOL

Another new law that is stupid is allowing artificial light while dispatching wounded game. All a poacher has to do now is hunt with the light and then say the moose was wounded after shooting it dead.

Default lights

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Another new law that is stupid is allowing artificial light while dispatching wounded game. All a poacher has to do now is hunt with the light and then say the moose was wounded after shooting it dead.
    I think the light law was there, for a guy that is dealing with stuff out of a flash light, but I agree with you the guy thats out there with a million cp light is doing a bit more.
    Μολών λαβέ

Default So...

So what is the procedure for getting the electronic call for moose law reversed....No one asked my opinion before it was passed, and I knew nothing of it till it did. So if someone can coerce that change, how do I / we coerce it back? This state is going nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyfish View Post
    So what is the procedure for getting the electronic call for moose law reversed....No one asked my opinion before it was passed, and I knew nothing of it till it did.
    Put in a proposal to the board of game. Everyone has a chance to make their opinion known before the BoG passes new laws, but few take the opportunity to do so.

Default Last night

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    I think the light law was there, for a guy that is dealing with stuff out of a flash light, but I agree with you the guy thats out there with a million cp light is doing a bit more.

I could of used one last night. I awoke at 11:15 and found someone unloading my shrimp pots from my truck. He jumped down and went towards one on the ground already and then turned towards me about 18 feet away. So I put a 235 grain hardcast through his mid-section. I managed 3-4 more as he ran through the bush towards the back of the property. Unfortunately it was raining heavy and I am not into chasing black bears in the rain, in the dark. He hit the river last night on the way out of the yard so I could not find him this morning. The muzzle flash from a 6" Smith at night is interesting.

I had just refurbished all the pots to go back into the water. Now two are bent up from him standing on them.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

This reminds me of a moose I knocked down in a slew. Sure glad I had a flash light with me. It gets mighty dark fast, that time of year. Crawling along packing meat in the dark, makes me uncomfortable.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I reckon my buddy isn't going to be to happy when he finds out about the electronic moose call being banned........since I sold it to him 2 years ago.

Default get it togather

We need to oppose that law and try to get it undone. I never seen anything about it either! Where do we start?
    Μολών λαβέ

Was discussed here at the beginning of the year. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=24603

Personally I could careless, I call moose in just fine by myself. There's a 100 different ways to call in moose i.e. pitches and tones and knowing when to use them and when not to. I think most of the Ecall bull grunts sound like a constipated old fart in the morning anyway. It does suck to loose a right though. Keep your eye out on the "GAME MANAGMENT" part of this site, someone usually gives a heads up to proposals coming down the pipe and will give you the chance to chime in at the BOG meetings.

Default fox pro

I wasn't too worried about the grunt or cow call but if you heard the brush thrashing or banging heads you'd really be impressed, then a guy isn't having to make smells where he does't want them. Calling a bull in in the heat of rut isn't hard but then THEY took the last ten days of season from us, who have to hunt close to home!
    Μολών λαβέ

Default ironartist...some info

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist
    We need to oppose that law and try to get it undone. I never seen anything about it either! Where do we start?
    John, here's where you start:
    http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/b...s/propform.php

Original proposal didn't intend to be statewide, was part of the 2007 southcentral agenda. It was carried over to the statewide meeting in January of '08. May help to actually read the reasoning in that proposal:
    http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/a...-Proposals.pdf

It's #51 in above link. All this stuff is posted on the BOG website before it happens; I mean you get a chance to submit written comments in favor of, or opposed to, any proposal. You can also sign up to speak at BOG meetings for or against. Southcentral region stuff is coming up next spring, late Feb/early March '09, runs on an every-other-year cycle.
    Best,

Default on the other hand...

you might try learning to mouth call... it ain't that hard and sounds better once you practice at it...
    and nothing sounds more like an antler on brush then ... well... an antler on brush.
    i have used antlers, bucket lids, and a "moose magnet". the moose magnet is skookum for mouth calling too.
    it was people who left the gol-durn electronic calls on all night that got the ban proposed, and remember, local AC's all considered this proposal and submitted their recommendations.... do you read the proposals and attend the meetings?
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Surprised

I'm surprised it took this long. I am from wisconsin and using electronic calls for big game has been illegal for at least 15 yrs. I have an electronic call with moose calls on it and have to honestly say it is a bit of an unfair advantage.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    .....it was people who left the gol-durn electronic calls on all night that got the ban proposed.....
    So what did this Mr. Hanes do about moose who call and butt heads all night? Call the Troopers with disturbance of the peace complaints?

In addition to the ACs, look who else supported the proposal: Defenders of Wildlife and Alaska Wildlife Alliance.

It's another case of a "hunter" killing hunting to the glee of the antis..................

I was at the Game Board meeting in March. The complaint made to the Game Board was that a party had left an electronic caller on all night, playing very loud. People felt this was abuse, and were tired of it happening. At present it only pertains to Moose. Hope no other game gets included. I use one for bears, wolves, and coyotes.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 07-09-2008 at 07:00.
    Gun Control means hitting your target.
    "Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley
    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"

Default noise all night

Ya know I have been camping several times where you can hear drunk people hooting and howlering and shooting guns all night it's not aginst the law for drunk stupid people to be making noise to invade my quiet time. so whats the differance?
    Μολών λαβέ

Default Big whoop

I mean really guys, I love to call stuff in whether it's a deer, elk, turkey, moose whatever. Getting proficient with a call or technique is way more rewarding than some electronic, instant gratification mumbo jumbo. Plus, is there really anything more fun than than taking an antler or or scapula and abusing some unsuspecting tree and rolling around in the brush to call moose?, I think not, I laugh uncontrollably every time I do it, it's ridiculous, but it's fun and it works. If all I had to do was push a button, I'd be cheating my self. My 2.5 cents worth.

Default Thats the reason

I am on the AC in Delta and that is the reason for the ban, people leaving them on all night. That is what the preposal said. Put in another next spring if ya want to try and turn it back. Just like everything else one bad apple. No need to try and have all the bulls in the valley standing by your call when you get up in the morning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast