Thread: Pain at the pump in Kotzebue!

Unhappy Pain at the pump in Kotzebue!

I have a bunch of emails and calls regarding what is fuel costing up here so I thought I would share the pain at the pump. We only get fuel in the summer and fall when the barge throws anchor about 10 miles out of town and Crowley litters the fuel in to tow. Well last week I filled everything I could find hoping to make it through the summer on last falls prices. Well over the weekend the barge arrived and the prices went up on Monday as planned. July 1st a drum of boat gas was $246 or about $4.65 a gal, as of yesterday a drum now costs $345 and that translates into a $2 a gal increase at $6.65 a gal. Price at the pump should be about $7.50 a gal.

I donít know how this will affect the flight services but we should expect some kind of fuel surcharge. The food in the grocery store also went up with milk seeing an immediate $1 a gal increase to a whopping $10.45 gal and I have 3 kids! Thank goodness I donít burn milk in my boat motor!

Take care and think about us when your complaining about the gas prices at your pump. When you come up to Kotz this fall please bring gas in your carry on luggage!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

Looks like you're going to have to start milking caribou!!

Default milk

10.45 for a gallon of milk? Holy crap. My wife thinks I complain too much now about how gas and groceries have gone up...she'd have left me for sure if I was up there and had those prices to scream about. That is insane.

I guess cereal is out of the question in the morning, huh?

Man, suddenly 4.90 seems like a pretty good deal

WOW, might have to take a collect up for you so you can get a good pair of sneakers.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default More reason to pay attention.

Those prices are terrible. I can understand remoteness, but that is unbelievable! Just more reason to be aware of who you vote for.

Talking Throw them all out!

Quote Originally Posted by knikhunter View Post
    Those prices are terrible. I can understand remoteness, but that is unbelievable! Just more reason to be aware of who you vote for.
    Hay I thought we were talking about gas prices and hunting! I agree with you and lets make sure it is the candidate who has not hugged GW Bush or wants to extend the Status Quo!

Throw them all out!

Red face Kaktovik (i.e., Barter Island) Gas Price

was only $3.45 per gallon last week. the barge should get there mid-August, so better hurry and fill up

seriously tho, my sheep hunt charter will come out of there so i expect a hefty fuel surcharge by the time i fly out 8/19

I thought the price of fuel in the bush would be at least 3-4 times what it is here. I guess it is a lot less than that. It is not even double. That is very interesting.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default very true

to a point RMiller, but those are just the costs in the hubs. People in some of the outlying villages like Shungnak and others have been paying $8 or better a gallon for a year or two. A Bering air pilot told me that this is the quietest he's seen the villages up this way-few or no four wheelers driving around in several of the villages.

Exclamation

i should point out that the fuel station in kak should be charging what they expect to be charging when the barge arrives middle of august, which would bring their price in-line with other villages. apparently the operators of the fuel station do not understand that for them to afford the new shipment of fuel, they need to charge the mid-august price now.

believe me, i was shocked when i paid only $3.45/gal last week. i doubt i will ever see that price anywhere again in my lifetime.

um, gas still costs $3.45/gal in Kak...i just topped off here today! and here i thought i would not see that price again in my lifetime

that barge outta be to Kak soon, so y'all better hurry to fill up your tanks

cheers

Default KAK??

Where in the world is Kak? And send me gas please!

Default Walt

Kaktovik

see about 5 posts prior

barge arrived last month, so gas in kaktovik is now $4.90/gal...still not bad considering the remote location.

cheers all

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska View Post
    .....The food in the grocery store also went up with milk seeing an immediate $1 a gal increase to a whopping $10.45 gal and I have 3 kids! Thank goodness I don’t burn milk in my boat motor!....
    And milk is a "renewable resource", so you can be sure that the "renewable fuels" the environmentalists are demanding will not be the relief we so desperately need.

so you are paying only 40 cents more a gallon then I do in seward where Im sure demand is slightly higher. Makes sense to me!