Thread: Lake Creek Update

Default Lake Creek Update

I am flying up with some friends for a lake creek float on the 20th.
    Can anyone give me an update on river conditions, water temp?
    How is the rainbow and grayling fishing?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated as 3 Cajuns and 2 Jamaicans floating an Alaskan River will be fish out water.

Thanks.

Clint

Quote Originally Posted by LaSpearfisherman View Post
    I am flying up with some friends for a lake creek float on the 20th.
    Can anyone give me an update on river conditions, water temp?
    How is the rainbow and grayling fishing?

Any and all information is greatly appreciated as 3 Cajuns and 2 Jamaicans floating an Alaskan River will be fish out water.

Thanks.

Clint
    Well, brush up on your German and your Japanese if you want to fit in there.

We floated Lake Creek from Chelatna Lake to the Yetna river. Top of the river was calm and held lots of bows and Grayling.But the river was a blowout further down with lots of whitewater. There were some kings at the yetna but far from hot and heavy. Still had a great time (started the float June 19).

Thanks.
    Anyone else been lately????????????

Default Lake Creek

I was there last night for a little over an hour and hooked into a jack.. My buddy did the same and that was it.. Fun flight out there though!

Same Question...
    We are leaving Sunday

havent been there since the 7th near the mouth. water was high and rising and starting to go off color after finally getting clear the week before. a few fresh kings were showing up that weekend which is way late compared to the usual run. assuming the water doesnt get too murky the rainbow and grayling fishing should be good. in addition to the usual flies/beads take some stonefly/mayfly patterns. if you get a hot day lake creek this time of year has an occasional stonefly hatch big enough to get the trout feeding on the surface. one of the few opportunities in alaska to catch big bows on the surface. the first set of riffles below the long straight stretch after the put in can be great for rainbows if there are any salmon holding there yet. when you get to the bottom look out for the guided jet boats they are out of control this year. saw one ram a private boat over the fourth of july weekend, people thrown in the water, one boat rammed a tree. after the dust cleared we told the guide to be more careful and he and another guide flipped us off and told us it was the fault of the boat coming down river. i'm not sure his client with the big goose egg on his forehead from hitting the tree cared whose fault it was.

Default lake creek

Thanks a lot for the info. We will definately hit a local fly shop and pick up some of those flies. I have heard we should stop around the "cable crossing" for trout. Are you familiar with this??

As far a the guides go, there seem to be a-hole guides anywhere you go. Louisiana is no different with SOME guides who think they own the water.

What is the story on that cable across Lake creek?

the cable is probably just a little over a mile from the put in. the cable has something to do with an old weir. most years there is a camp set up just below it i assume to do fish counting. the cable is well over the water, only a concern with your backcast. the riffle just ABOVE the cable can be great for rainbows, just below the cable is a little "rock garden" that can be good but the fish tend to be smaller for some reason. i may be shot for telling you this but if you havent bought flies yet get some black and some olive dolly lama's. the fly shop will know what these are.

Thanks LakeCreek,
    We are flying in on Sunday and putting in on Tuesday. I am having trouble sleeping because I am so pumped up about this trip.

Tight lines!!

Clint

Default Lake Creek Float

Just returned from 5 days on Lake Creek (14' KD) The weir installation is complete. You pass through the center (yellow) section and then sharp right or left to miss a fish trap...easy enough as the water is slow moving. The fishing was phenominal...all the way down. Plenty of rainbows and grayling. (Success with bumblebees on upper portion). We encountered kings as canyon walls began to rise to the mouth. Looks as those using eggs were very successful. Red run should be going full bore this week. Be sure to take a fly rod!!!
    Last edited by JetRx; 07-17-2008 at 21:50. Reason: additional info

Default Red and silver timing

I will be floating in mid-August. Any ideas where the silvers or reds will be? Upper-lower?