Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where the Extreme Shallows shouldn't roam...

Default Where the Extreme Shallows shouldn't roam...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8Wx5EThAHc

**make sure to click the 'watch in high quality' option**

we didn't make it as high as we intended... we're going back soon....

Chriso?...Skybust?...LuJon?...Who's in?...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Thumbs up

I have tue-thur off so if its on one of those days Im in for sure Man that water was moving. Once again awsome film

I'll go, I'll go

This is killing me! I can't watch the video till I get to my personal pc this evening!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    This is killing me! I can't watch the video till I get to my personal pc this evening!
    don't sweat it too much...lol..it's not that good....round 2 will provide some good footage though...if I could recruit a few other boats to go as well it would make a killer vid......<wink><wink>...
    pull my finger....

Perhaps I could figure out some things to pull out to lighten the boat up so I can gain another 1/2" of draft and get up faster.... I think the biggest thing for me is I only have 65 hp so I don't quite jump up on step like you guys do!......... When are you heading back up there?... Dang too bad I spent my SS impeller $$ on a new sheep rifle... When you going back up again..?.

Is there a part II where you get to the shallow water?

Quote Originally Posted by rdrash View Post
    Is there a part II where you get to the shallow water?
    yes...we weren't far from it...next trip there will be some very skinny stuff......if you know the area then you know where we were heading....

. When you going back up again..?.
    no firm plans yet, I usually just head out somewhere on the weekend...if you're interested in going we can firm up a day.......I work bankers hours so its gotta' be on the weekend....(sorry Skybust...)

the water wasn't too bad but the video didn't do the water justice...as we neared our turn around point the waves were approaching 4 feet in spots, give or take...may not sound like much but a flat bottom tunnel hull struggles a bit...coming down is not a leisurely cruise either.......about a 10mph current and about a 22mph minimum speed to stay on step keeps things going around 35 mph or so....throw in a healthy dose of boulders and things get exciting....
    pull my finger....

Wow the last paragraph sounds like you are tryin to talk me out of it... I did go and buy new life vests for the wife and I today so at least the search and rescue folks should be able to recover my corpse. I also got a couple new boat seats that I can actually put a knee on while I am runnin.
    I have 3 day weekends every weekend but I am on call for 2 week intervals. Next weekend is my last free weekend before I get the leash (pager)back from work. I am free every Monday even if I am on call from 5am till 6pm since the shop is covered if that makes sense.
    More than anything I just want to get some experiance reading the rivers and have some fun!

Wow the last paragraph sounds like you are tryin to talk me out of it...
    quite the opposite!......I'd love to have some company....I ran the river with a buddy for the first time last weekend and it definitely makes it more enjoyable...I just wanted to let you know what was in store for us...I'm not in a rush so we can go during your next free hitch.......that will give some time for the fishing to improve a bit......what kind of boat do you have?..
    pull my finger....

Ahhh my favorite question... Here are some pics of my $13K river sled

Here is it just a wee bit too shallow

It is a 93 wooldridge 17.5' Alaskan with a 90 horse merc (65 at the jet). Just a good old fashioned outboard tunnel hull. I am sure it won't go as shallow as yours but it has surprised me more than once when I braced for a hit that never came.

looks like it'll take the rough water better than mine..at least in the bow area....i'm not sure that they make a rougher riding boat than mine...lol....should be a good time
    pull my finger....

Yeah she is certainly a good boat for the money but as soon as my wife gets through school (about 3 years) I am planning on getting something with a bit (bunch) more HP and room that will get really shallow. I doubt that I will ever get rid of this old wooly though it will be a great boat for the kids to learn in. The biggest downfall is it is much slower than the big horse inboards to get on step and since it drops the back down it vacuums the river bottom and I get to practice dropping the jet foot again

I'll take you for a ride in my airboat, you'll never go jet again. Wait my airboat is always awaiting repairs. Scratch that idea.

Who told me one time.... airboat stands for......

anytime
    it
    runs
    break
    out
    another
    thousand

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Wait my airboat is always awaiting repairs. Scratch that idea.
    I think that once the 'repairs' require things like new motors, it gets classified as more than just a 'repair'....lol...
    pull my finger....

LMFAO! :P

What are you talking about? Simple repair I tell yah.

OK, now that I'm cut down like grass it's time we have my wife's co-worker follows me through the Jim Creek flats. Wanna tape it?

Yeah she is certainly a good boat for the money but as soon as my wife gets through school (about 3 years) I am planning on getting something with a bit (bunch) more HP and room that will get really shallow. I doubt that I will ever get rid of this old wooly though it will be a great boat for the kids to learn in. The biggest downfall is it is much slower than the big horse inboards to get on step and since it drops the back down it vacuums the river bottom and I get to practice dropping the jet foot again
    Get a bigger OB for that Ak and you'll never regret it!
    I'm really impressed with how much jam the 115 has with the same set up as yours, gets on step FAST with two guys and gear.
    As much as i am impressed with the Extreme Shallows, and i'd love to have one, there are times when the extra width will simply not allow you to keep going. Was out last weekend scouting out a little river, and came to a spot where there was a big logjam blocking the main "channel" and the only way around it was a little chute snaking through some willows and banks of gravel. This thing was a hair narrower than my AK, but a good foot deep, so i figured giver her a go. Well the Ak snapped up on step, and with the bow wake we whipped through the bends on the chute and were in bigger water once more. I couldn't believe we didn't even touch, don't think a wider boat could have fit as the banks were a good foot above this chute.
    Here is a quick video of part of this trip. My buddy has yet to download the more exciting footage of the rapids
    http://www.metacafe.com/watch/147426...cks_jetboat_2/

Default mile 15 kashwitna

I was at that exact spot about three years ago with my Mokai. I think the water might have been a little lower then. How did you avoid the huge boulder in the middle of the river just down stream from there? Also are you guys going to try to make it to the north fork?

Quote Originally Posted by slow reflection View Post
    How did you avoid the huge boulder in the middle of the river just down stream from there?
    I remember the boulder you speak of.....there was actually 2 in a row just below the turn around point.....the process to avoid them is pretty in-depth....let me explain...

1. turn wheel far left
    2. mash throttle all the way down
    3. pull back on throttle
    4. turn wheel far right
    5. repeat step 2

just keep repeating that series of steps and before you know it you're down to the calm water...lol

Quote Originally Posted by slow reflection View Post
    Also are you guys going to try to make it ...
    we're going back soon...there is a long rapid section just above that spot...I think it would be easy beans with a boat like a north river/thunder jet or something....its just tough to stay hooked up with a boat like mine...still going to try though...anyone with a boat like that want to give it a go?...
    pull my finger....

Default coiuld we do it in an evening run? Or does it take all day?

My weekends are pretty hooked up right now, any chace we could bust out one evening and "git 'er done"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast