Thread: Homer Halibut

Default Homer Halibut

How far have people been travelling out of Homer for Halibut? Maybe how close is a better question. Plan to try my luck for the first time this weekend. Have a 20' boat and don't really want to go much further than I have to. Was planning to go out to Seldovia or flat island if the seas are calm. If anyone has a good tip on where to drop anchor and fish I would appreciate it. Hoping to find a chicken hole to give the kids a work out.
    Thanks

Default humps

Try the Seldovia Humps. There are lots of chickens that should give them none stop action. I'm just a little worried that with the price of fuel, more people will hit these spots hard. I was there on Friday and a large charter boat was sitting on the first hump, along with 2 pleasure boats.

we've been seeing more and more charters there too. Maybe weather, probably fuel costs. But Thursday there was more then chickens... 2 at 90# and a few scattered between 40 and 20#

Too bad it was on my boat but I was in Anchorage!
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Default try

yukon area on the inlet side at around 200' of water, were we have caught some nice fish. One 60# or so between yukon and the last island, a little passage way there. Then caught our limit on saturday out close to 12 or 15 miles towards augustine but a little more to the right. 90' of water, look at your gps in you have a chartplotter. Once we dropped anchor there was a couple boats in the area. A few hours later or shorter about 15. So I guess you could follow the masses if you don't leave to early. I don't have any coordinates handy.

Default not far

If you're willing (or able) to go as far as Flat Is. then you should have no problem getting halibut. I was out this weekend and got chickens 16 miles out at around 130ft. Only 15lb avg but 4 of us got about 15 of them. Don't know that exact location because I was a passenger on a friends boat. Ask around at the Spit, fishermen like to talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisutch View Post
    If you're willing (or able) to go as far as Flat Is. then you should have no problem getting halibut. I was out this weekend and got chickens 16 miles out at around 130ft. Only 15lb avg but 4 of us got about 15 of them. Don't know that exact location because I was a passenger on a friends boat. Ask around at the Spit, fishermen like to talk.
    I am hoping since there were only 4 of you that you didn't keep all 15...

Quote Originally Posted by Flintlock View Post
    I am hoping since there were only 4 of you that you didn't keep all 15...
    That would be a 'no'. I prefer to follow the regs.

Thanks for the info and the different options. I hope to fish Friday afternoon and Saturday. Maybe if one area doesn't pan out I can try another.

Thanks again.

I only make it down that way once or twice a year and havent' yet this year so I can't speak for how things are right now. That being said I used to go out 15 miles and fish in 200' or less until last year when we couldn't seem to find alot of fish. Using some advice I was given one evening on our last trip we went out 7 miles and ended up with our limits 3 days in a row (6 people) in less than 2 hours. It only took that long because we started to get a little picky. No complaints though as we caught a couple at 50 lbs on one particular day.