Thread: Pentax manual lenses

Default Pentax manual lenses

I'll be going to Anchorage next month and was wondering if there were any places I can go to get some M and K lenses for the Pentax K mount.

Also, any suggestions for places my two sons, ages 9 & 6, and I can go spend a day shooting photos and playing around in the Eagle River area? Preferably with a place(s) nearby where we can get snacks and drinks when needed.

TIA

I guess I can check the yellow pages when I get there.

In the past, Stewarts Photo, downtown on 4th, has had a selection of used glass. They might still have some. I have also seen Pentax K mount items in several local pawn shops. I haven't looked in several years though, so I'm not sure what the situation is now. Don't completely rule out the older screw mount lenses either. They lack auto aperture, but work well with a simple screw to K mount adapter.

On eBay, the demand for Pentax lenses has gone up due to newer Pentax digital SLRs that will accept them, and the fact that they can be adapted to fit Canon DSLRs (some will fit Nikon too). This has driven the price up. But chances are you can get a good deal on older Pentax glass in Anchorage because the local market usually wants only the latest & greatest gear. I'm just guessing though as I've not looked since I settled on the bit of Pentax stuff I have now (MX wtih a few fast primes).

I'll stop over at Stewarts Photo to see if they have any used manual lenses that I want. I need a shoulder bag anyway.

I am hoping I can find some good deals, compared to ebay, in Anchorage on some manual prime lenses that I've been wanting. I'll be sure to look in the pawn shops if I come up on any.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by AkSKeyMoe View Post
    I'll stop over at Stewarts Photo to see if they have any used manual lenses that I want. I need a shoulder bag anyway.

I am hoping I can find some good deals, compared to ebay, in Anchorage on some manual prime lenses that I've been wanting. I'll be sure to look in the pawn shops if I come up on any.

Thanks.
    I haven't visited Anchorage for quite some time, but there used to be a camera shop on Diamond. A small one man shop that also does repairs. He had a few used lenses, and the prices were pretty good too.

What are you looking for? I know somebody with a 300mm f/4 SMC Pentax, SN 5064647, that is in good condition (optically excellent, with a few scuff marks on the outside of the lense hood).
    It hasn't been on a camera in 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
    I haven't visited Anchorage for quite some time, but there used to be a camera shop on Diamond. A small one man shop that also does repairs. He had a few used lenses, and the prices were pretty good too.
    Diamond Blvd?

What are you looking for? I know somebody with a 300mm f/4 SMC Pentax, SN 5064647, that is in good condition (optically excellent, with a few scuff marks on the outside of the lense hood).
    It hasn't been on a camera in 20 years.
    I am not interested in the 300mm focal range, yet. Just in case, what is your friend asking for it? Is it an "M" or a "K" version?
    I am mainly looking for a 50mm f4 or 100mm f4 macro, a 35mm f2 and either a 50mm f1.4 or f1.7 if I don't find a macro lens.

The camera shop on Dimond (not Diamond as it's named after Anthony James Dimond - former AK congressional delegate) is/was in the strip mall on the SW corner with Arctic Blvd. I don't think it's still there though. There was another repair joint on the NE corner of 15th & C Street, but agian, I'm not confident they are still there either. Progress has not been kind to camera repairmen. Both places did sell used equipment though.

Those old camera's are awesome. I still have an old Pentax K-1000 I got in the early eighties. It has never missed a shot in all these yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    The camera shop on Dimond (not Diamond as it's named after Anthony James Dimond - former AK congressional delegate) is/was in the strip mall on the SW corner with Arctic Blvd. I don't think it's still there though. There was another repair joint on the NE corner of 15th & C Street, but agian, I'm not confident they are still there either. Progress has not been kind to camera repairmen. Both places did sell used equipment though.
    Thanks. I'll check on them.

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

Stay away from Stuarts Photo on 4th Ave. Their prices are 3 times the norm. Dimond is not too much better. The shop on the corner of 15th and C street was always my favorite place to check out first !!

I used to work @ Stuarts photo in 1981 for a very short time, and believe it or not. I would always send all my customers to Hunt brothers in Malden Mass. !!

At the time color paper ( 8 x 10) was 43 dollars a 100 sheet box in Stuarts Photo

In Malden Mass, that same box was only 22 dollars !! Substansial savings, to purchase twice as much at a cheaper price.

E phillip Levine in Boston Mass has EVERYTHING you could possibly want and at great prices also !!

Default Update

Both the repair shops on Dimond & Arctic and 15th & C are still up and running. Neither had any of the particular lenses I was looking for, except for a 50mm prime that I bought, they both have some zooms and some older Pentax bodies for sale though.
    Kit's (Ritz) in Dimond Center and Stewart's Photo did have some newer Pentax lenses but no manual lenses, except for one older 90mm Tamron at Stewart's that I wasn't interested in. Sadly there were no new Pentax bodies (K200D and K20D) for sale in any of the stores that I visited, I was hoping to at least get a feel for one or both of the new Pentax bodies to see if I would want to upgrade to one of them when the PFDs arrive.

@Majik Imaje,
    LOL at the thought that the Hunt bros. hired you (I'm not implying that they did) to work at Stewart's to send AK money their way.

Seriously though, thanks for the warning. I didn't buy any lens from Stewart's or Kit's knowing I can get them for less online.

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

In August of 81 - I was working in Stewarts Photo (for less than 3 weeks, My dispatch at the union hall came through as an electrician) But a young couple came in to purchase a Besler 23C enlarger that was 460 bux at the time.. I told them quite frankly .. NO ! you do not want THAT enlarger.. .. only because if you purchase that one, you can spend your 460 and take the enlarger home and just look at it.. Or.. you can send that 460 to Hunts and get that same enlarger for 220 bux and have 240 left over for trays and other important stuff.. They took my advice after 1/2 hour of trying to convince them. I have never worked for Hunts.. I have just always purchased everything from them since 1970. Even after I left Mass. I always purchased from them. Hunts was once just a tiny drug store. very tiny, but they had anything you could name and their prices were always the best in the country !!