Thread: Colt Trooper MK III values?

Default Colt Trooper MK III values?

Anyone know the value on an 357 Magnum CTG, 6" Colt Trooper MK III at (estimated) 85% + condition. The serial # begins with L47XXX. I tried to research the production date but am not sure where to look. The trigger is smooth and overall the mechanics are excellent. The grips are original with a gold colt on each side. The cyl. wheel holds 6 rounds. Its been carried but not fired much! I can't wait to clean it up and try her out! Thanks in advance. What do you think of some of the Y2K guns when compared to these 1960's to 1970's guns?

Default The first revolver I owned...

was exactly as you described, my old gun's serial was J34319, a fairly early one. At the time I bought it in 1970, I paid list price for it, $142.00 and 3% for the Governor. Worked my butt off that summer for that gun. Buckin' hay and moving irrigation pipe didn't pay a whole lot then!
    The last few I've seen that were in really decent shape were quite a bit later guns, but averaged $350-$525. The higher end prices were a bit optimistic, as far as I'm concerned, but Colt wheelguns DO hold their value really well.
    I loved my old Mk III. There was a Python and a 6" Model 19 S&W on either side of it in the rack, and I wanted something a bit more substantial than the 19 (an opinion I changed after I packed it for awhile), but the Mk III I had was darned near as smooth as the Python.
    I appreciated the new lockwork, with the coil spring setup it was a lot nicer gun than the earlier Troopers, and it never did shoot loose, nor did the carry up fall short.
    That's also the gun I started reloading for, and my old standard load was 7 grs. Unique behind a 158-160 gr. half jacket Speer hollow point. Later on I found out about H110 and 2400, and put some loads through the thing that should've vaporized it! Took 'em all in stride. I always wondered why in the world they didn't produce that exact gun in .41 or .44 mag.....

Thanks Darreld Walton. Well you won't believe my short story; I went with a friend the July 4th weekend to the Yukon River and helped his Mom, and his Mom's Husband put in a set-net in the Yukon River for some King Salmon (no luck) and brought my Marlin 1894 .44 rem. mag. with me, and my friends Mom saw it and wanted it. She offered her Colt Trooper for a trade. Well this was an easy decision; but I told her that I wanted to take the Marlin in and make sure it was cleaned properly for her first. I brought in the Marlin, had it cleaned it up at a local gun shop. Long story short, she could no longer handle the Colt pistol well enough at her age and wanted a camp gun exactly like the Marlin so here I am with the Colt. She had a pre 64 possibly early to mid 50's Winchester M-94 30-30 that she also keeps on hand at Camp which she can still shoot quite well, which I witnessed. The Colt looks like a real good shooter for its age even though it has been carried around the Alaska wilderness alot. I have cleaned it up the Colt and as you can imagine was well over due but still looks good.