Thread: Got me a little boat

Default Got me a little boat

Well, I couldnt stand it anymore. Thought by now Id have me a 20 something footer, truck, and some gas money to boot. But, traded that all in for my little baby girl. So I settled on a 30 year old, 16 foot tri hull fiberglass lake boat.

Currently has a 150 horse on it, Im hoping to work out a trade for an 85 horse. That 150 runs good but it is stupid fast, too big for the boat and drinks gas.

Took it out this weekend, trailer broke a bunk bracket, so the boat is up in willow still and the trailer is in the garage, awaiting 130.00 worth of new parts to be installed.

I installed some new swivel seats but those all came out of the floor by the end of the weekend. Im going to put a sheet of 3/4 plywood down to give them lags some more meat to bite into.

On a positive note, it seems that it will fish 3 people comfortably and the two downriggers I bought fit and work good on the boat.

So How far do I dare take this thing out of Seward or whittier? What will it handle as far as waves go? IF I leave the 150 on it I could be to pony in 15 minutes on a flat day. Im sure I was going 50 in that thing this weekend.

Should I put a kicker on? Im going to need a troller motor, but was thinking Ill save myself the room and weight and put one of those troller flaps on and use the main motor.

My neighbor has a 15 or 16 foot fiberglass tri hull with a 85 Merc and it is still way crazy fast. I would worry about delaminating the hull towards the rear. We redid the floor and new seats in his, also put some extra/big backing plates for the motor.

A 150 would be more then double what the boat was rated for 30 years ago (on prop). Most of those I believe called for 65's or 75's and the 18's were 120's or 125's. Great boats though.

As far as the kicker take a look at your weight out back. We have a trollong plate on his and it works good. Two 6 gal tanks of fuel, 3 guys, gear, food, beer, bait or a couple of good sized fish for the return trip makes it pretty heavy.

As far as what water it will handle.....how big are your......I will tell you that we got caught in a pretty bad blow on Lake Louise. Surfing the troughs made it hard to see shore and the wave tops were higher then me kneeling on the seat. We have made the trip acroos from Valdez to Allison Point pretty regular with it at one time.

Congrats on getting yourself a boat Matt. I'm sure you'll find your comfort zone with it. Small boats are great for puttering around in. I'd recommend this book to anybody with a small boat. It's full of great info on all things we small boat owners should know.

As far as how far you can/should go out of Whittier or Seward, well... I could tell you some stories. I've trolled Pigot point, fished halibut at Perry and Lone Islands, and enjoyed general cruising as far as Latouche in a 16 foot C-Dory. I've also turned around a few times when the conditions called for it, including failed attempts crossing Wells Passage and heading out to Pony Cove. Now I cruise in a 17 foot Arima and go all the places I went in the C-Dory, just with a little more comfort, and burning a little more gas.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

instead of using lags or screws to anchor seats to wood, i would use these, 1/4 20 will give a lot more holding power, specially with the pounding a tri hull boat will give in choppy/rough water... and they be stainless steel..

http://fastenmsc.stores.yahoo.net/snstst.html

roger that delaminating towards the rear. Thats exactly what it did. The paint just seems to be the only thing wore off, the glass still looks fine.
    How did you guys redo the floor?

Neet fasteners yooper!