Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the cheapest way to ship fish???

Default What is the cheapest way to ship fish???

I'm sure this question has been asked before but I couldn't find a recent thread. Does anyone know about shipping fish as cargo rather than an extra bag. I can ship one bag on the plane with me for free. The second bag costs $25. The third bag costs $100. I plan on sending three or more boxes of fish home. I will check two coolers with me on the plane and mail my clothes home. I'm looking for the best/cheapest way to send the third and possibly fourth cooler or box from ANC to San Antonio. Thanks.
    "I look into... my fly box, and think about all the elements I should consider in choosing the perfect fly... then I remember what a guide told me: 'Ninety percent of what a trout eats is brown and fuzzy and about five-eighths of an inch long." Allison Moir

Angry shipping fish

I have been checking also and think that the 3rd bag for $100 is the cheapest way. I'll keep checking .

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by txguide View Post
    I have been checking also and think that the 3rd bag for $100 is the cheapest way. I'll keep checking .

Randy
    YUP... either that or check it air cargo.

Cheaper still to limit your take so as to avoid that jump to $100 for the third box.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I think most of the airlines have the same new baggage regs effective now unless you bought your ticket on April 5 or earlier. I wish i heard about this sooner. My ticket was booked and paid for on April 8 so I missed it by 3 days and now i'm travelling lighter. The travel agent must have known something because I first went to them in March.

If you can handle the hassles at check-in, moving around the airports, and baggage pickup, bringing it yourself will likely be the "cheapest" way to bring back a lot of fish depending on what dollar value you put on the inconvenience

As far as I can see, they still allow one oversize sports item to count for your 1 checked but it must have linear dimensions of 115" i believe. look it up.

Cheapest way I have found is freeze it good and Express US Mail it in a cheap Wal-Mart cooler packed so tight there is no air.

Works for moose as well.

3rd bag is cheaper than usps express mail. We also plan on packing our carry ons with fish inside several heavy duty trash bags.

Default satx

I checked the cargo rate for seafood and for 50#s the rate was about the same as a third bag (to Texas), but for a 4th box I think cargo would be the way to go.

I'm planning on bringing back every fish I catch. It helps me justify going back to Alaska every year. This is the first year that I've had to ask this question. In previous years, I always checked a third bag for $50. This year is obviously different.

I think US mail is expensive. FEDEX is unreal. I'm really interested in knowing more about air cargo.

TX Guide, where did you go to find out about air cargo rates? I looked and couldn't find any solid info on air cargo rates.
    "I look into... my fly box, and think about all the elements I should consider in choosing the perfect fly... then I remember what a guide told me: 'Ninety percent of what a trout eats is brown and fuzzy and about five-eighths of an inch long." Allison Moir

Default air cargo

Don't plan on using air cargo if you haven't filed paperwork has a "known shipper" 8+ weeks ago.

Thanks txguide! I guess neither of us will be able to ship air cargo. The lesson learned here is to plan in advance in order to ship air cargo.

I'm flying Continental and found out that I have 2 bags free. The third to the fifth bag is $100 each. The sixth bag (if lucky enough) is $200. If I had booked after April 12th, the second bag would have been $25. The rates for bags seems to vary from airline to airline and also depends on when the ticket was purchased.

For Continental Airlines, the limit on a carry on is 40 pounds and 51 linear inches. I plan to load 40 pounds in the carry on and ship my clothes home. This will get me 190 pounds for $100. I believe this is the cheapest solution.

Smoke it all and then send it parcel post.

Quote Originally Posted by txguide View Post
    Don't plan on using air cargo if you haven't filed paperwork has a "known shipper" 8+ weeks ago.
    Not necessarily true, but it might be in this case. Unknown shippers can ship without notice, but it must go on a cargo-only plane and not on a plane that carries passengers. Obviously, cargo-only won't go to all the cities that passenger planes will.

We routinely ship our summer goodies (usually a mess of clams, some halibut & ling and ocassionally some moose) to Sea-Tac where one of our WA guests picks it up and then brings it out to us in the fall when fishing with us.

Unknown pay a bit more and it goes on a space-available basis, but it all goes into cold storage whenever it makes it there ... I seem to recall 52 cents per pound last year, but I'm not 100% positive.

Default Don't forget the personal item!

In addition to a carry-on, you can also take a personal item, which acts as a second (smaller) carry-on. It has to be a maximum of approximately 32 linear inches, but it obviously varies depending on the airline that you use. Personal items are typically considered a purse, laptop bag, but it can be virtually anything of the appropriate size. I am considering taking a small soft-sided cooler as my personal item. It won't bring back much fish, but every little bit helps and it is free.

Chad

Quote Originally Posted by chadakin View Post
    In addition to a carry-on, you can also take a personal item, which acts as a second (smaller) carry-on. It has to be a maximum of approximately 32 linear inches, but it obviously varies depending on the airline that you use. Personal items are typically considered a purse, laptop bag, but it can be virtually anything of the appropriate size. I am considering taking a small soft-sided cooler as my personal item. It won't bring back much fish, but every little bit helps and it is free.

Chad
    Just double check whether you can take frozen fish as a carry on. I attempted to take some frozen crab from Juneau to Anchorage a couple of years ago in a small carry on legal soft side duffel. I was forced to check it as no frozen fish allowed on the plane. Seems they had a smell problem with some that thawed a little and dripped in the overhead. This practice may no longer be an issue.

Tolman24 is probably correct. It might be wise to contact your airline or have some fish smoked. I wouldn't imagine there would be any problem taking smoked fish on the plane in your "personal item", but who knows in this day-and-age.

Chad

Default Recieved this from Delta

I booked my Flight with Delta back in January, 4 months prior to the change but according to their reply it didn't matter and I will still have to pay the extra bag fee of 25 for the second and 80 for the third. My Clothes and chest waders will be going USPS parcel post. I more week of this heat and I be fishing for Reds on the Kenai with SATX.

Delta's Reply below.

Thank you for your e-mail to Delta Air Lines.

When traveling domestically on Delta, each ticketed passenger is allowed a maximum of two bags free of charge, one checked and one carry-on, for travel in the U.S., the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. Additional baggage may be accepted for an excess baggage fee. All baggage must meet certain size and weight limits. Checked baggage should not exceed 50 pounds (23 kg) and 62 inches (158 cm). Carry on baggage should not exceed 40 pounds (18 kg) and 45 inches (115 cm). Business Elite and First Class passengers are allowed 3 checked bags at no charge up to 70 lbs.

When you exceed the allowed two pieces of baggage or size/weight restrictions for each bag, excess fees will be collected at check-in.
    You can pay $25.00 and check a second bag provided it meets the standard checked baggage allowance. If you wish to check another bag (bags 3, 4, and 5) the charge would be $80.00 each provided it meets the standard checked baggage allowance.

Please note that piece, size, and weight excess baggage charges may be charged independently. For example, if you have two checked bags (three
    internationally) and one of them is oversized, both an excess piece and excess size charge will apply.

You could also mail your clothes back home after the trip and use that spot as a checked bag.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaKen View Post
    I booked my Flight with Delta back in January, 4 months prior to the change but according to their reply it didn't matter and I will still have to pay the extra bag fee of 25 for the second and 80 for the third. My Clothes and chest waders will be going USPS parcel post. I more week of this heat and I be fishing for Reds on the Kenai with SATX.

Delta's Reply below.

Thank you for your e-mail to Delta Air Lines.

When traveling domestically on Delta, each ticketed passenger is allowed a maximum of two bags free of charge, one checked and one carry-on, for travel in the U.S., the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. Additional baggage may be accepted for an excess baggage fee. All baggage must meet certain size and weight limits. Checked baggage should not exceed 50 pounds (23 kg) and 62 inches (158 cm). Carry on baggage should not exceed 40 pounds (18 kg) and 45 inches (115 cm). Business Elite and First Class passengers are allowed 3 checked bags at no charge up to 70 lbs.

When you exceed the allowed two pieces of baggage or size/weight restrictions for each bag, excess fees will be collected at check-in.
    You can pay $25.00 and check a second bag provided it meets the standard checked baggage allowance. If you wish to check another bag (bags 3, 4, and 5) the charge would be $80.00 each provided it meets the standard checked baggage allowance.

Please note that piece, size, and weight excess baggage charges may be charged independently. For example, if you have two checked bags (three
    internationally) and one of them is oversized, both an excess piece and excess size charge will apply.

Bama,

You might want to check the Delta web site. They have announced a "2nd Bag Fee rebate" for travelers who booked before 4/9/08( date of the announcement), and travel after 5/5/08(Date of new charge).

I booked my flights last October, and the way I understand the rebate, you have to travel/ and pay the 2nd bag fee, and THEN submit the rebate form. We plan to do use the rebate form online after travel.

Also, as far as fish, and anything else goes.... Even at $80.00 for a 3rd 50# bag, that's $1.60/pound shipping overnight(or length of flight). That is the cheapest going. We have done the wheeled coolers up with gear/coolers with fish, duffel bags with gear home the past two years, and that is the cheapest way to go. You have to keep your extra bags at 50#, so make sure you you can weigh you stuff prior to check-in.

Good Luck

Russ F

Jeez you foks REALLY going to personally eat 150lbs of salmon? Please don't kill more than you'll eat. I have nothing against tourist but can't you find food fish at home too?
    If you'll eat it (and not give it away or freezer burn it) then go for it. I have no problem with that.

Good luck fishing regardless.

Just an alaskans thoughts.

Default yeah, Parcel is the cheapest...

but yeah, you'd have to smoke it in order for it not to spoil...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast