Thread: Crab bait

Default Crab bait

Looking forward to crabbing in Kachemak Bay later in August and it's been soooo long, I can't remember what I used for bait. I have guts and heads of some reds I got at China Poot last week. That stuff is in the freezer but it's probably not enough for a week of crabbing.

What can I use to supplement the fish guts, etc.?

jim

Default Oh jeese..

This should have been posted in the Fishing forum, although crab pots do kinda look like dipnets if you squint really hard.....

Could the forum moderator please move this thread? Thanks...

Salmon heads work well, but fresh cod was allways the killer.

Go To The End Ofthe Dock By Lands End,where The Fish Waste Pump Outlet Is.....and Jig For Pollack I Bet That Would Work Good
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    Could the forum moderator please move this thread? Thanks...
    It's moved for you, Jim, but it'll cost you a crab!

We use salmon and cod carcasses. If you have some old herring shove them in the bait bag too. We run our tanner pots from April through mid June and check them every week. Usually had between 15-25 legals a week for the two pots.

Default More help?

TB in Kodiak
    How do you present your bait? You mention bait "bags", what are those? What about big plastic bait jugs? Thanks...

They are just the orange bait bags that the commercial guys use, if you can't find those onion sacks work too. Bungy both ends so it is suspended, but don't block the enterance or they may be able to crawl back out. You can get two salmon carcasses and a cod head or two in there. That's enough bait to keep it fishing for over a week, unless you set it in an area with a lot of sand fleas. You can kind of see how its baited in this picture.

Default Understood

Thanks TB! I know I can get the bait bags at the Gear Shed in Homer.

Next questions:
    1/ How deep? What am I looking for when placing the pots?

2/ And am I going to have to hand-haul the pots up or can I use the buoy pulling system I use with my anchor? (I have a bigger buoy...)

Thanks...jim

Default Nice

"You can kind of see how its baited in this picture."

Nice pictures...

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    Thanks TB! I know I can get the bait bags at the Gear Shed in Homer.

Next questions:
    1/ How deep? What am I looking for when placing the pots?

2/ And am I going to have to hand-haul the pots up or can I use the buoy pulling system I use with my anchor? (I have a bigger buoy...)

Thanks...jim
    Jim,

We have a couple spots that have been fished for ages so unless you know where to go it'll be hit or miss. Maybe ask at the gear shed and see if they will disclose any areas that have historically produced. Those pots were in 70-90 feet, but we also fish another area where its 200-250 feet. Find a mud bottom and hope for the best. Look for other pots, if the crab are in there you can fish them pretty hard. The spot we fish gets around a dozen pots later in May and we still take around 15-20 legals out of our 2 pots every week. We've also baited them in the morning and pulled them in the afternoon with around 10-15 legals. Just depends on how close you are to the main group and how many undersized ones pile into your pot.
    We have a block, but we've also had to hand pull them a couple times. Not fun. I'd try the bouy first.
    Make sure you get rotten cotten on there with the right sized escape hole too. I know a guy that got fined because the cotton he used wasn't the right kind. Pick up a measurer at the Gear Shed it'll make life a lot easier when you have to sort through 100 crab for 10 or so legals.
    Good luck, let me know how you do.

TB

Default hey TB

How is the dungy fishing around kodiak. Coming from oregon that's what i'm used to going after. Never tried for anything else. I would like to give crabbing a try sometime. What time of year do you fish the different species around kodiak? As always a big thanks to any info you can provide

Kevin

There are a lot of dungy. We've never targeted them, because the tanners are much better eating IMO. That's not to say we haven't pulled a couple pots to see if they were getting any. Try any of the main bays, Womens, Middle, Kalsin, in 15-30 feet. Pasagshak has to be good too. We've had 20-25 stuck in our gillnet after a day of subsistence red fishing off the beach. Don't go too deep though, we've never got any in our tanner pots in 70+ feet.
    There are also a few kings to be had. Fish the same depth as the tanners. We got one nice one on our last pull three weeks ago. Too bad it was a big female full of eggs so she had to go back. Then again, I guess that isn't a bad thing.

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the info. I have never tried tanner crab. I like dungy's so I guess I had better take a taste of tanner if they are better! What time of year is the peak for both species?

Default shameless bump

still looking for any info on times of year to fish for the different crab species around Kodiak. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakbound View Post
    still looking for any info on times of year to fish for the different crab species around Kodiak. Thanks!
    Sorry, April through November is probably the best time.

Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TBinKodiak View Post
    Sorry, April through November is probably the best time.
    Thanks for the info TB. I appreciate it