Thread: Was the Trooper wrong?

Default Was the Trooper wrong?

Dipped at the Kasilof on Sunday. It wasn't too bad, people were getting about 5 fish each during the incoming tide over a one hour period. Then a state trooper came by to check permits. He casually told us that we were fishing illegally and had to pull our nets out of the water. Pretty much everyone was surprised by this news. No one was cited but it was a major buzz kill to stop fishing while fish were still coming in. We were lined up starting from buoy 6 going North towards river.

Anybody have some insight on this? I saw about a hundred people dip from the South beach last year with no problems. Lots of long time dippers said they've been going to that spot for many years. The ADF&G reg guide map shows a shaded region that is open to dipnetting. According to this map we were ok, it's North of the Cohoe Rd.

Ah yes, the old "I'm with Fish And Game line---- I know it well!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    Ah yes, the old "I'm with Fish And Game line---- I know it well!
    I've got an ADFG cap that I got when I did some work for one of the hatcheries.

It's funny when wearing it while fishing. People give me plenty of room.......

Huh? I don't think that was the case. I don't know anyone with cajones big enough to impersonate a state trooper in uniform, walk down a beach with 20 fisherman, check their permits, and then tell them they can't fish there.

Default Big un's

Your absolutly correct, we have never met!

Default ***?!?

I've never heard/seen such a thing. It really does sound like an impersonator... that takes a hairy brass sack coupled with a vacant cranium.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Sounds like a misinformed Trooper. With that many people there you would think someone would've questioned him on it. Someone should've asked him to show the regulation.

Another good reason to carry a copy of the reg booklet with you. Whip that baby out and point to the map and ask him to explain what it means...
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I had a friend there as well. He said the trooper was young and maybe didn't know what was up. He didn't have a copy of the regs either. We talked it over and I think that spot is totally legal. I've dipped right there for 5 years counting. I go to the mouth when the tide gets higher.

Well I spoke to the troopers office and had some light shed on this. Apparently there is a discrepancy between the marker buoys and the map in the ADF&G booklet. The confusion lies with the marker in the mouth of the river that says 'dipnet area' with an arrow upstream. Troopers believe this is the start of the dipnet open area and the beach is actually the set gillnet area. Sounds like they need to work this out with ADF&G. It sounds crazy to me that you can set gillnet from the beach but not dipnet. Take the river marker down and this is no longer a problem. Then we can go with what the booklet shows and it is consistent with the Kenai, which allows dipnetting from the beach.

Default what?

So it's illegal now? That is crazy. The reg booklet shows that as a good spot all the way to cohoe road. I thought the setnet was for silvers?
    Wow, I'm confused.

Default Interesting

Setnet season closed 2 weeks ago (it was for Reds)... the day before the dipnet season opened. There should be no confusion between the two as there is no overlap. The reg booklet has 2 separate maps, one for setnets and one for gillnets. The only difference between them is that the dipnet map is shaded upstream for 1 mile in addition to all the beach front.

That said, the wording of the dipnet section doesn't really help the case, "from ADF&G markers posted on Cook Inlet outside of the mouth of the Kasilof River, to about 1 mile upstream to ADF&G markers." Which does seem to imply that the river mouth is the starting point, not the beach markers.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Hope this confusion does not include the north shore. Been dipping there for several years and would hate to see it go away.

Default 1 mile each side of river?

The regs pamplet implies the dipnet area extends 1 mile on each side of the river mouth. The map shows it goes way past Cohoe.

Has anyone else encountered a problem dipping on the south side of the Kasilof?

This was the first I heard about it, and turns out Kisutch is the buddy I was talking about (jerk! ) He just laughed and kept typing. ) He has talked to troopers since, but I can't remember what the results were.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisutch View Post
    Take the river marker down and this is no longer a problem. Then we can go with what the booklet shows and it is consistent with the Kenai, which allows dipnetting from the beach.

I wouldn't do that; you would just turn a warning into a violation for destroying ADF&G markers and possibly lose your right to fish for a while.

The best thing to do is have the Trooper show you the regs, don't be a jerk about it but you should at least be allowed to look at the regs. If you still have a problem ask for his business card and then talk to his supervisor.

Good luck, sounds like the troopers and ADF&G are not talking to eachother!

Quote Originally Posted by CapnCrunch View Post
    I wouldn't do that; you would just turn a warning into a violation for destroying ADF&G markers and possibly lose your right to fish for a while.
    Reading my post again I see how it could be read two ways. By NO means did I intend to say that a dipnetter should take down the markers. I was implying that ADF&G should take them down because they aren't in synch with the printed Reg book.