Thread: Hares down Girdwood/Portage way?

Default Hares down Girdwood/Portage way?

Howdy,

Starting to research some potential areas for hunting this fall with my daughter, age 12. Looking for areas that are somewhat easy access that will allow for a chance to bag a bunny or three. Been reading the forum posts and most seem to point north of Anchorage.

Are there any areas down in the Girdwood/Portage area that are good hare hunting? I know the area is popular for waterfowl, but have not heard much about small game hunting down there.

Or would I be better off heading north? Would be looking to keep the drive under 2.5 hours if possible and we have no ATV or snowmachine.

Not asking for anyone to give up their hot spot, just some general advice.

I hunted at Peterson creek for years for rabbit, always had good luck. It is now closed to shooting due to people trashing the area.

I see rabbits all the time in my yard (in Girdwood), you can shoot by the awwu road from my understanding, I would make sure to double check before hand though for that is something I have never done. I do see them back there when hiking maxx's.

Girdwood area is 14C and Chugach National Forest land, should be fine for hunting. Portage area is in unit 7 and is a closed area with heavy restrictions as far as hunting goes, you would definitely want to look into it thoroughly before trying to hunt around there. Just past Portage when you get up into Turnagain pass has fine small game hunting, I have gotten plenty of hares in that area. Just remember, the easier it is to get to an area the more people and the more hunted the area will be.

Thanks for the tips.

Had been thinking of the pass as well. I know there are lots of trials in the area that should lead to some bunnies. Will have to go up there next month and scout out some spots.

What about Twenty Mile River? Seems that it would not be too difficult to hike up river a ways then move into the brush.

Any bunnies in that area? Looks like it falls into the "Remainder of 14C" area regulation wise.

I havent seen much in the 20mile area, but I must admit I am not realy looking for rabbits when I am back there. I only heli board and snowmachine when I go there.

I do see them every now and then in Placier along the creek when I ride there. It would be a easy walk down the train tracks to the bridge.