Thread: Bone Yard Baits

Default Bone Yard Baits

I have read several posts by boneyardbaits and checked out his website. I wondered what made his grubs so much better for catching fish compared to what I have been using for the last couple years. This past weekend we finally limited out both days. Have been catching fish every weekend though. Every trip out to the "hole" we always limit, when we can make it out there. Have limited out for years there.

I have not ordered anything from boneyardbaits. I don't think I need to either. A guy this weekend out fishing with me picked up a grub I rig up on 300# mono. The tail said, BONE YARD BAITS. I have been buying them from B&J Commercial for alteast 2 years. So boneyardbaits claims are true. His grubs do catch more fish!!!

So boneyardbaits, do you sell your grubs to B&J? I have never noticed any "Made in Alaska" stickers on any of the boxes. Just wondering if this is your stuff or not? How do you rig up your grubs?

I left my stuff on the boat. Otherwise I would post pics. I put some on 16oz lead jigs with some herring. Mainly I use the 300# mono, 18" long and put a #4 swivel up top with a metal loop. Then the biggest circle hooks I can buy. With a straight piece of metal wire, I use a coat hanger and cut it. Heat it with a lighter and it burns right through. Chase it with the mono and then crimp the rest of the hardware on.

I have three or more with the tails bitten off the grubs, they still catch fish. This past weekend I had a new one get bit off. I missed the fish but it felt like a biggun.

I used his grubs all day yesterday... Lost about 20 tails yesterday.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default good stuff

Man loosing 20 tails is not cool. Well it is in a way. Maybe he needs to make grubs with titanium tails?

Alaska Gray, where do you buy yours at? What colors work for you?

I have been using the glow in the dark ones mainly, the translucent green works, the orange and the blue with the silver glittery tail. Have made up a yellow one and never tried it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Man loosing 20 tails is not cool. Well it is in a way. Maybe he needs to make grubs with titanium tails?

Alaska Gray, where do you buy yours at? What colors work for you?

I have been using the glow in the dark ones mainly, the translucent green works, the orange and the blue with the silver glittery tail. Have made up a yellow one and never tried it yet.
    I got mine from B&J, and Jim from Bone yard baits.. The twin tails work great on Lings and halibut. Small in dia but deadly. I like the 11' with the big tail

Color
    http://www.boneyardbaits.com/Big_Bone_Grubs_s/1.htm

white with red tails( my favorite)
    white with blue tail (worked best yesterday)
    Metal flake
    Smoke (good on lings)
    Chartreuse
    Plain white.

I carry several colors and try them when needed. Like yesterday. They were picky. only two colors they would hit on.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thanks Guys For The Good Word....our Baits Have A Natural Swim Action That Fish Cant Resist..you Might Try Using A Trailer Hook Off The Jig Head....i Only Use 16 And 24 Ounce Jig Heads With A 12/0 Hook And With Our Jigging Rods You Can Detect The Smallest Hit... These Are The Toughest That We Can Make Them Without Making Them Hard... Try The Wishbone Twin Tail They Work Awesome...you Can Also Give A Testamonial On Our Site And Send Me Pics At jim@boneyardbaits.com And We Will Post Them On The Site....thanks Again And Good Fishin To You All..:d
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Default I am learning

This year just seems off all together. I usually just fish the glow in the dark 11" grub. Bought some different ones like mentioned. Sometimes if the bite is slow just changing a grub will get a hit. I have not tried the split tails, or wish bone tails yet, maybee the same? After the last couple weekends I am learning to change it up a bit. Also bought a 24oz metal jig that works when everything is dead. But I like the grubs on the rigs I make and just started fishing the jigs. Will try and take pics this coming weekend. So far only have two pics on the cam someone else took. I will try and get them with gear I am using.

No biggie on the tails, they still work. Just cool when you get a big hit, it hit both of our rods and it hit mine last. Did a bait check and half the herring was gone as long as the tail, the whole thing. Still caught fish with it afterwords, just seeing if made a huge difference or not.

Default Here is a pic last year

of the catch from my HOLE. I think it was close to 100# of skinned fillets that trip. 12 fish all with the boneyard baits 11" grub tail. The kid was 6 and I am 6'3" in the orange bibs for reference. Don't think we weighed any of those fish. Looks like nice 20-30#ers with a couple 15#ers or less, water was getting bad in a hurry so kept what was coming and got out of there. Out of the 25 fish we have killed this year, only 4 or 5 have been caught with other gear, big shinny jigs, the rest of the BONEYARD BAIT grubs. Man I am dying to get back down there. Kinda love hate relationship. Love the fishing but hate being so tired the couple days after, part of that is the drive though, not the fishing.
    Last edited by akrstabout; 08-27-2009 at 22:54.

Looking at that picture makes my mouth water, yum!!

AKRSTABOUT
    What are you favorite colors?

Default Mainly

the glow in dark ones. This year though has just been different on the bite. So trying the translucent green, silver with glitter and blue tail, orange and yellow. Fished them all but the yellow but have caught fish on every single one other wise.

Just bought some more at B&J's to use this weekend on jigs and maybe make another rig, they were out of the mono. I bought some glow in the dark split tails, and a white with the red tail. Alaskagray listed what he uses too. I think I bought the right one. Will try the red and split tail on 16oz lead head jigs, might put a split tail on a piece of mono I have left. Next week will make up stinger hooks with mono.

BoneyardBaits, you ever put a smaller grub or split tail on a stinger hook that is connected to your jig or rig? For example I have a 24oz shinny jig, gonna replace the trebble hook with a single J hook, then thinking of putting a stinger hook on a 5"or so piece of mono with a swivel or a corkscrew swivel and connect it to the corkscrew swivel at on my line. Stinger hook should go part way down the jig, pretty long jig. I think it will look like a bait fish trying to feed off the larger bait fish to the halibut. Then I will have herring on the J hook at the end of the jig. Make any sense?

Usually just fish the glow the in dark rigs on the 300# mono, but having to mix it up this year to keep the fish interested. I am full of ideas now. So far they have been working.

Oh the under water lights you attach to your line, I put mine on the rig I make and ziptie to the hook eye, they do work!

The Only Thing I Do Is Put Them On The Jig Heads And Blamo Another Monster Ling...i Like Your Ideas On Different Ways To Rig Them Thats Awesome...
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Yes the Grubs that are sold at B & J are Boneyard Grubs he stocks up every year before the season comes in. And the Grubs are made In Alabama them shipped to Alaska, CA. WA. OR. etc. All over the world. I am John Owner of Boneyard Bait Company and I live in Alabama about 3 hours from the Gulf Of Mexico. I have been reading over the posts and thanks for all the good words about the Grubs. A lot of sweat and Late hours on the computer marketing them just ask Jim Weber LOL..
    Thanks,
    JOhn Estes

Default Well here are some of the rigs that tear them up

or that the halibut tear up. I just bought some new Owner hooks, the huge ones and will make up some more. I left the grubs on the boat though. Will make them up when I get down there. I just tooks pics of what were using. I had some others just laying around but not on anything.

I put half a large herring on the hook also. Big hooks and bait=larger fish. If the fish are above 12# they will hook them selves. No huge monsters but a lot of nice fish that make for good eating and fill the coolers fast with good fillets.

Someone had the one with the light, I put the light below the tail on the hook eye, ziptied.

Default The bait shop at the entrance of the road to the boat launch

We get our large herring there by the case. I seen he had some grubs. I asked him where they came from and he said China! That same trip is when I realized I had been fishing Boneyardbaits all along. He had the split tail there and another grub I have not used yet. Was in there last trip down and most of them say Boneyardbaits. So next time I am in there I will school him on where they come from. You walk in and to the left of the front door is where they are at. I would have bougth more the first time in there this year but he said they came from china, but now I know and knowing is half the battle

These two fish were caught by my Little and I. He swears he caught the bigger one but if I remember correctly I did, but hearing him brag about and smiling ear to ear, his first fish finally and he is 12! Of course on boneyard baits.

Oh your talking about "Sportsmans Supply" ya I love that place by the launch. You can get bait and boneyard jigs there.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.