Thread: Montana creek kings

Default Montana creek kings

If anyone can get there tonight before it closes you should go!!!!

I went on friday night and it was maybe the best King fishing I have ever seen. 3 casts and you had a king.

I hear most of the valley streams did pretty good as well, but that montana creek was the best.

Also are the Park Hwy streams part of the Upper cook inlet King run? I keep reading on this forum that the ENTIRE Northern area is in the toilet. I go fish it though and have the best King fishing of my life.
    Or do people mean ONLY Alexander, and Deshka? Or are they cherry picking trying to make is seem like the sky is falling?

Default Got Pics?

Akbrownsfan where are the pics?Inquiring Texans want to know ?

There is just not that many fish in the parks streams right now.I have been floating the streams & should be seeing hundreds a fish,,but I'm not..The fish I do get I let them go,,just not enough to keep..Having a good day or two does'nt mean the runs in good shape..Hope next year not like this......

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    .....Or are they cherry picking trying to make is seem like the sky is falling?
    Or is there "cherry picking" to make it seem like the sky is not falling?

Because you had a good day at Montana Creek, are you stating that ADFG info on Susitna run strength is bad?

There are posters on this forum with game cam photos of several different brown bears at a single black bear bait station on the Kenai Peninsula, which would represent several percent of the 277 brown bears the Interagency Brown Bear Team estimated existed on the entire peninsula.

With that photo evidence, are you ready to concur that the IBBT is incorrect?

I just got back from Susitna Valley, fished there the last 2 weekends in route to the KP. I fished at Montana Creek, Sheep Creek, Sunshine Creek, and Rabideux Creek.

What I saw was a poor run of chinook salmon this year in all those locations.

Sheep Creek had kings moving in the creek all the way past the bridge this last Sunday and seem to be the best location out of the ones I visited. Maybe the Rain has allowed more kings to push past the inner-tubers I saw at Montana on Saturday?

My humble total for the Valley was 4 Kings in 2 weekends (about 10 hours each day) and yes all while using jedi mind tricks.

TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

If anyone can get there tonight before it closes you should go!!!!

I went on friday night and it was maybe the best King fishing I have ever seen. 3 casts and you had a king.

I hear most of the valley streams did pretty good as well, but that montana creek was the best.

Also are the Park Hwy streams part of the Upper cook inlet King run? I keep reading on this forum that the ENTIRE Northern area is in the toilet. I go fish it though and have the best King fishing of my life.
    Or do people mean ONLY Alexander, and Deshka? Or are they cherry picking trying to make is seem like the sky is falling?
    I was there as well and can attest to having never seen it that hot. It was FUN!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default hmm

Really? That's interesting. Talked to some guys on Willow on Saturday that said Montana was dead Friday night. They must have been lying. . . . Willow was ok and we went home with fish, but I didn't see nearly as many kings as I normally do this time of year. What I did see and what we caught were nice fish however. The water was a bit high/murky Saturday, but clear enough to see most fish. Sunday it looked like a muddy milkshake (also one reason few fish were seen). Good times though.

So a slight correction to my post. Got my days mixed up. I was there Saturday Night/Sunday Morning. Was a hoot.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Timing is everything when salmon fishing. You know what they say... "Should of been here yesterday." It's been a poor salmon year in S. Central. Let's see how the Bristol Bay rivers do in the next couple of weeks.

Angry Friday Night

Fished here all my life and can say there were a lot of fish, outnumbered only by the number of clowns fishing for them. I've seen enough combat fishing over the years along with the requisite newbies, drunks, disrespect for the resource, families in the way, pets where they shouldn't be, etc. but this was about as bad as it gets-certainly much worse than the last couple of years. I didn't even attempt to fish until about 3AM. Have to wonder how long until the "no camping" signs come out. The human waste factor alone would seem to warrant such action......and I hate more Regs with the best of them!

FYI, the best fishing was on the Susitna east bank proper as opposed to out on the sandbar and the main stem.

Default ease up and sorry!! This is about FISHING

Hey before this spirals out of control..............I'll admit I was cherrypicking about the runs!! The real dilima IMO is the Yukon King run anyway......we just fish for sport mainly. I don't usually King fish anyway as people tend to get a little overboard about everything assoicated with it. From fishing, to discussing managment, to talking to other fishers, to getting along with each other. I'm to the point where I cant' wait to see the Kenai red numbers go up, and silvers to get here.
    I don't want a fight over this please!

And to the above post..........I don't think I'll be back there again myself. I try to be polite so the only actual FISHING I got to do was when someone went to the bathroom or something. I'd squeeze in get a couple casts and then get asked to move out of the person's spot. I fished about half an hour total to catch all the fish I did catch. I waited until 4am and then went to bed. Got up at 10 and walked back and saw the same line of chairs blocking the fishing. Still in defense of the chair folks most of them told me they got there on thursday to get those spots. Plus with the fishing as hot as it was I guess I don't blame them for not stopping fishing. While there were a lot of drunks, I thought all in all everyone behaved and were mainly polite. I didn't walk back in the woods to see any human waste but I'm sure it's back there. Remember we can all choose to fish rainbows if we wanted to.

Mark

........The real dilima IMO is the Yukon King run anyway......
    That one has been bad and getting worse.

....I don't want a fight over this please!....
    Who's "fighting"?

....I try to be polite so the only actual FISHING I got to do was when someone went to the bathroom or something. I'd squeeze in get a couple casts and then get asked to move out of the person's spot.....
    That's why I just don't go king fishing anymore unless it's remote. It just isn't fun anymore.

The Little Su has plenty of fishable area in the wee hours of the morning, but the closed it one year between the hours of 11 PM and 6 AM (for what reason, I don't know) and I've never been back. Besides, the boat traffic had the fish so spooked they wouldn't bite like they used to, anyway.

Cool King Fishing

Back to the report, here's my tally for the year and comments:

(2) out of Anchor River; poor run in general with both caught the last opener. Did not see many others caught as opposed to last year, and the fish were virtually non-existent the first 3 weekends-according to others; I waited based on the reports. Ambience wise, for some reason in general people here are MUCH better than what I referred to at Montana Creek last weekend. Can't figure that one out-maybe because "camping" on the riverbank is not really feasible.........

(1) out of Talachulitna. Had to work hard all day with 2 boats / 7 fishermen going 5 for 7. Consensus seemed to be the run was fair at best, although the fish we hooked were more silver (late "early" fish?) than typical for Late June. No fish working their way up the Tal-too cold. Couple of incidents with guides trying to cork a hole that a boat had untied from to pursue a fish-on.

(1) out of unnamed "anti-Montana Creek" Susitna tributary. Lot of fish in better shape than typical (late run again?) and great fishing. The few people were what you would expect-glad to be there (fish or no) and not have the cluster experience so sadly common most everywhere else.

Lastly, back to Montana, released a couple that were just too long in-country for me. Still, there sure was a lot of fish rolling and caught and would agree that it probably couldn't get a whole lot better despite the crowd. Seemed like most were well blushed although pretty typical for this time of year. Not many in the creek proper. Had to leave when the yahoos started casting over my head from up on the bank; as someone else said, no fun and getting too old to throw em' in the river.

That leaves one more to go-maybe Clear or the Kenai. I hear Clear is sporadic as all of Cook Inlet appears to be..........hopefully a lot of late globally-cooled fish yet to make it to the spawning grounds.