Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 Strokes on mouth and lower Kenai?

Default 2 Strokes on mouth and lower Kenai?

OK so who has the skinny on using 2 strokes on the lower Kenai?

Everything I read is that upstream from the mile 4 marker below the bridge is 4 stroke / DFI only and less than 50 HP

So does that mean I can still run my 2 stroke 70 HP outboard in the lower river to dipnet from the boat?

Any input would greatly be appreciated, I'd like to get out there and get some sockeyes since the Upper Cook inlet Kings are a big zero this year,

Thanks

BR

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state.../nr.cfm?id=970

This is from the emergency orders site.

So realistically the commercial boats shouldn't be able to park in the river now correct? 50hp max?

The HP restriction is from river mile 4 and upstream.

Unhappy Very disappointed about new reg.

I just just bought new motor that was long time coming 2 years ago. I use my boat mainly for personnel use at the Kenai. Now I can not use boat dipnetting since I have a 2 stroke motor. I cannot afford a new motor and besides what does one get for a newer two stroke or trade in?
    I understand that commercial boys can still use their two stroke motors going back and forth to their big boats.(What about all the oily water pumped out of the commerial fleets boats)
    This decision was based on poor science. The lower Kenai river was compared to "Lake Tahoe" for Pete sake. Don't they realize that is is tidal area. When they restricted 2 stoke on this lake it didn't make much difference anyway. I believe the reason for polution is all the detuned motors in upper river. Its like running with choke on all the time.
    Now they have also changed it so you can not run to Warren Ames bridge will a motor over the Hp limit on upper river. This used to be good place to use restroom or pick up/drop off. Down stream from Mile 4 which is approx. one mile below bridge has no HP restrictions.
    Bottom line I am disappointed to loose this this chance to put up my salmon for winter.
    I have raised my family eating salmon and spent many hours bonding with family and ,in my boat in, the Lower Kenai River.
    I quess I need to buy my fish from Out of State(in winter) Commercial fisherman? I have lived in Alaska for 47 years and each year it gets more diffucult to get Salmon for the household.

Default Clarifications on the rules

All of this is in the current fishing regs booklet, but you have to read it at least 17 times before you start to understand.

River mile 4 and up, is 4-stroke or DFI and 50-hp max only. This is well above where the commercial fleet parks, so it has no effect on them.

From the Kenai mouth up to mile 4 is unrestricted for horsepower or oil injection method... EXCEPT for dipnetting. If you are dipnetting, you must be running a 4-stroke or DFI, but horsepower is unrestricted.

I can run all over the first 4 miles of river with a "dirty" 2-stroke 115 Yami skiff, but I can't put a dipnet in the water from that boat. If it were 4-stroke or DFI, I could dipnet the first 4 miles. If it were also 50-hp or less, I could dipnet all the way up to the bridge.

Skilak and Kenai lakes are now 4-stroke or DFI only, but horsepower remains unrestricted (some areas have specific motor and date restrictions, check the regs).

There were some Fish-n-Feathers type folks at the old man's fab shop a couple weeks back to get some welding done. They were complaining about the fact that even their government owned boats are now illegal to operate on Skilak because they are old 2-stroke motors. So all the government's parks and wildlife boats need to have all the motors replaced with 4-strokes before they can go out and do their jobs. More tax dollars wasted as well as all the lost productivity while they wait for the requisition forms to go through.

Gotta love the government
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Thanks

I appreciate the information, looks like my old boat won't cut it.

As I see it I can run my boat in the mouth but not drop a net.

Oh Well

Thanks All

You can always dipnet from shore like the rest of us. No need for your family to go hungry. You can ride the boat upriver, park it and dip. You can get towed up and drift down.

As I understand the reg, a 2-stroke can not be used above the bridge only in July?

August for silvers is OK?

That is correct Mike, any other month a two stroke is leagal on the Kenai as long as it's 35 h.p. or less.

Default Screwed again

I just ran across the clarification on the Emergency Orders site - plans were to use my 4 stroke kicker while netting going donwstream and go back up on my main 2 stroke.

Now I'll have to see if I can borrow a small boat my 9.9 kicker will power.

Like AlGore I'm more that happy to sacrific and save the planet from the evils of global warming (there must be connection somewhere).

The Kenai River fishery is openly and publically stated by the F&G as as being managed for commercial fishermen. This is the policy we have to change - right now we are views as plainly taking money out of the commercial fishermen's wallets with every fish we "steal".

Anybody try to get info from the G&F as to the statistics on the commerical guys in the Kenai? We need to know how many of the fish are at least processed Ak, how much of the catch stays in AK, how many of the boats are registered and stay in in AK throughout the year, how many of the license holders actually live in AK, etc. With this information we may have a chance at changing things since the resources are required to be managed for the benefit of Alaskans - not out of state fishermen.

If we could only follow the money - the money trail always explains everything.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Sorry to hear about your engine.

Glad to hear you will pitch in!

You sure know management!

And for the rest...........you can find it if you wanted to. You can educate yourself if you'd like. All of that is public info and some on here (not me) are more or less experts.

Also what's with all the crying about boat? You can dip from the beach. Some may be to old for that, but I doubt a boat would help much. You are lucky to even have a boat. Many of us don't.

ON the boat thing.............I think a fair thing to do would be to extend the Kenai dipnetting season through aug so dispaced users could dip in a non-impaired month.

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    I think a fair thing to do would be to extend the Kenai dipnetting season through aug so dispaced users could dip in a non-impaired month.
    ... and put in (or take back... after all, the original one was stolen) a public boat launch near the mouth of the Kasilof so we can just take our "dirty" boats down there. It sucks to have to put in at the Kenai and motor all the way down to the Kasilof just to dipnet from a larger boat.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Getting too old

I'm in my 60s and getting a bit old to do the thing from the beach - sorry but you will get there too if you are lucky.

I worked two jobs to get my boat- sometimes 80 or 90 hrs. a week. Bet you can work two jobs too if you really tried. Of course I went for years without having a boat too - finally saved up enough to buy one so don't try to make me feel sorry for you

Extending the dip netting into Aug. would be a fair move- don't count on it in your wildest dreams!

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post

Also what's with all the crying about boat? You can dip from the beach. Some may be to old for that, but I doubt a boat would help much. You are lucky to even have a boat. Many of us don't.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    The Kenai River fishery is openly and publically stated by the F&G as as being managed for commercial fishermen.
    Open and publicly? I haven't heard such a statement. Did you read this somewhere? At the risk of sounding like Mark, do you have a reference?

Default Managed for commercial fishing

If I recall I found this on one of the public sites in the F&G website. it's been a while; you can probably find it as easy as I can but I'll look.

The basic statement is that the Kenai Fishery is managed as a commerical fishery - I don't recall the exact wording but it was pretty clear who the fishery is ran to please.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Open and publicly? I haven't heard such a statement. Did you read this somewhere? At the risk of sounding like Mark, do you have a reference?

Default "Managed for commercial harvest"

I found this link real quiick - I sure there are others on the managment of the Kenai River. http://cf.adfg.state.ak.us/region2/p...ockeye08mp.pdf

The statement is: "The Kenai River late-run sockeye salmon is managed primarily for commercial harvest."

This means of course that the dip netters and sport fishermen are basically ignored in the operation of the fishery - our desire to catch fish for our families matters little to the F&G. Obviosuly their statement is plain - their intent is to keep all the commercial fishermen happy at the expense of sport fishermen and dip netters. So when you see all the boats going out on Sat. or Sun. morning on an "emergency openning" when you drove all the way down from Anchorage on your precious days off don't be surprised - you now know where you stand.

Until enough fishemen get ticked off enough to demand change we can expect more of the same tretment as we've seen in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post

This means of course that the dip netters and sport fishermen are basically ignored in the operation of the fishery - our desire to catch fish for our families matters little to the F&G. Obviosuly their statement is plain - their intent is to keep all the commercial fishermen happy at the expense of sport fishermen and dip netters. So when you see all the boats going out on Sat. or Sun. morning on an "emergency openning" when you drove all the way down from Anchorage on your precious days off don't be surprised - you now know where you stand.

Until enough fishemen get ticked off enough to demand change we can expect more of the same tretment as we've seen in recent years.
    I've gotta say, man, I don't understand what there is to be ticked off about. I've dipped for the past three years, and while it isn't always hot and heavy, I have had an amazing opportunity to fill my freezer. When I sport fish the Kenai (multiple times each summer), I almost always come away with plenty of fish and a smile from ear to ear. Additionally, the early run of kings and reds, in addition to the late run of silvers gets no commercial pressure whatsoever. Even with the commercial fishing going on, personal use dipnetters take hundreds of thousands of reds each year, and sport fishermen take tens of thousands more. This is something to be ticked off about? From where I'm standing, we've got it amazingly good.

Default Ditto

Thank you Brian. People need to realize how good we have it! Respect the fish, the habitat and other fishermen. Didn't we just go through 8 months of winter to get to this point? Most of my relatives still say "So you can just go down to the river and net 35 fish, and then catch more with a rod and reel!!!!????".

Default Lucky timing

You have obviously had lucky timing in the last three years - good for you. Timing is everything and while you can increase the odds somewhat it is still primarily luck

Wait until your luck turns and you take time off from work and make a few drives down to the Kenai to dipnet only to find out the walls of death are out and there aren't any fish in the river.

I'm ticked off because the river is managed primarily for the benefit of a relatively few - a signficant number of which aren't even from Alaska -while the fishing rights and needs of tens of thousands of residents from the most heavily populated portion of the state are considered almost insignificant.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I've gotta say, man, I don't understand what there is to be ticked off about. I've dipped for the past three years, and while it isn't always hot and heavy, I have had an amazing opportunity to fill my freezer.
    . Even with the commercial fishing going on, personal use dipnetters take hundreds of thousands of reds each year, and sport fishermen take tens of thousands more. This is something to be ticked off about? From where I'm standing, we've got it amazingly good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast