Thread: Pickled Herring recipies?

@ Seminary, Dubuque Ia

Default Pickled Herring recipies?

I must not be a good scandahoovian because I have a "passed down from the old country" recipie that is O.K. the fish comes out mushy and the pepper corns like gravel, but I had some of the commercial stuff, I think it came from Costco, that is awsome and what I want mine to taste like and have the firm texture. If anybody has a recipie they could share I would be very interested in it. I will try new recipies, however it is important to never ever tell my mom that the recipie from Norway isn't the best I've ever had. Thank you in advance. P.S. I will tell my mom that the new recipie a slight modification of hers.

Default You can use herring for this instead of salmon...

This is the recipe I use for pickling salmon. I was told it works well for herring, but I haven't caught any large herring lately so I haven't tried it for herring yet. Some people like it with less sugar than shown here. This will keep in the fridge for at least a month, but I don't know how much longer, since I usually eat it way before then.

There are tons of recipes on line for pickled herring. I'm going to try a sour cream mixture next time I do some salmon, because pickled herring in sour cream and onions is out of this world.

Good luck!
    Pickled Salmon recipe

Makes: about 4 12-ounce jars.

Time required: a couple weeks (one or two hours of actual prep time, max)

Ingredients youíll need:

• First week:
      • About a pound of salmon, skinned and de-boned, sliced fairly thin (about a quarter of an inch thick) in strips a couple inches long.
      • 1/2 cup of uniodized salt (kosher salt works for this)
      • 1 cup of white vinegar
    • Second week:
      • 1 cup of any kind of vinegar
      • 1 cup of white wine
      • 1 cup of sugar
      • 1 tbsp of pickling spice
      • 1 medium sized onion (any kindÖI like the white ones)
      • 4 or 5 12-ounce mason jars

About quantities in this recipe: As far as I know, you can vary these amounts quite a bit and the fish will still be great. I donít even measure any of the ingredients, except the sugar. Too much sugar and itíll be too sweet, but thatís a matter of taste anyway. Donít worry if your salmon pieces are too thick or too thin Ė toss them in there anyway, theyíll be fine. Youíre not baking a cake, so donít worry if you put too much wine in or not enough vinegar in the pickling mix. Itíll still be delicious.

Type of fish to use: This is really useful for the small pieces of salmon you have, or for using up salmon thatís been in the freezer a while and you want to get rid of but donít want to throw out. It will work for any type of salmon, but some people think reds are the best. I was told by someone that fish with more oil work best. Thatís why herring are pickled, I guess. Iíll try it for northern pike next time I catch one. It works okay for halibut, but it's not good enough for me to want to do that again.

Week One: Prepare Brine, Brine the salmon

• Mix the vinegar and salt together in a bowl or other container, stir until the salt is dissolved.
    • Dump all the salmon pieces into the vinegar/salt brine. Make sure all the pieces are covered by liquid; if you need more liquid, stir up a little more and add it.
    • Cover the container and stick it in the refrigerator and forget about it. Let it sit there for a week, then proceed to the pickling step.

Week Two: Prepare pickled fish

• Get all your ingredients together.
    • Drain the brine mixture from the salmon. Fill the container with cold water, stir the salmon around a little, let it sit an hour, then drain and repeat. You want to flush the salt and vinegar off the salmon. Let it sit in the water a couple hours. After that, itís ready to pickle. It can sit longer if you want. Whenever the time is up, drain the water from the salmon.

• In a saucepan, make the pickling liquid by combining the vinegar, sugar and pickling spice. You can add a bay leaf if you want, but I donít know why some people say you should add it.

• You can do this some time in the second hour of soaking the salmon in water. Heat this mixture on the stove at medium heat, stirring it every now and then, until the sugar has dissolved.
      • Remove it from heat and let it cool completely.
      • After itís cool, add the wine to it.

• Layer the salmon and the onions in each jar, leaving a head space of a half-inch or so at the top.
    • Pour the wine/vinegar/sugar/spice mixture over the salmon/onion until all the fish is covered.
    • Seal the jar and put it in the fridge. Let it sit there for a week to ten days.

Then eat it.

Default Pickled Pike recipe - might work for herring

This is from ADF&G's site about northern pike. I still haven't met anyone who's eaten pike, but if I get any I'm going to try pike fry and pickled pike.

Pickled Pike

When pickling northern pike you only have to remove
    the backbone, so keep those small northern pike!
    Cut fillets into approximately 2 inch squares. Make a
    brine of 1/2 cup non-iodized salt or pickling salt to 1 quart
    of water.
    Place fillets in crock, glass jar, or other non-reactive
    container and cover completely with brine for 24 hours.
    After 24 hours, drain and discard brine.
    Cover fillets with white vinegar for 12 hours. Drain off
    and discard vinegar.
    Pack fish in sterilized jars and add raw onion slices in
    alternate layers. Add enough cooled pickling solution (below)
    to cover fish, then seal jars.
    Keep refrigerated. Fish should be ready to eat in about
    two weeks.
    Pickling Solution
    4 cups white vinegar
    3 cups sugar
    1 cup white wine or water
    2 raw onions, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup pickling spice
    In large non-aluminum pan, mix sugar into white vinegar,
    and heat, but do not boil. Add white wine or water,
    onions, and pickling spice. Now bring to a boil, then cool.

Eagle River

Default Pickeled Pike

I can vouch for the pickeled pike, we used to make it back in Minnesota. I am a huge pickeled herring fan but i liked the pickeled pike even better than store bought herring.