Thread: How was the fishin' this weekend?

Default How was the fishin' this weekend?

Just thought i would see how the fishing went over the weekend. WE are trying to decide where to go pick up some halibut. Sounds like the commercial guys are going to have PWS surrounded going after reds. Did anyone go out to Lone Island? WE have only been to the sound once so have never been out that far and thought maybe we would be out of the fray there. Or has it been better in Seward? Just new to the game and thought you might have some tips for us. WE did okay for species our first time out and got rock fish, halibut (tiny), flounder, and a star fish on our anchor line. But would really like to limit out if possible, the freezer is pretty empty!

We headed out to the south end of Perry and Lone Island. I finally realized halibut fishing with the kids is a fruiteless endevor, they loose interest if they aren't into the fish quickly, and the rods are just too much for them to handle. We did pick up 10 rock fish in the bay on the south end of Perry, and managed a whopping dozen shrimp At least I didn't loose my pots.

All and all a decent day on the water, but for what it costs to take the boat out, I think next trip will be 2-3 days, and a bit further out in the sound. Either that or an adults only long day trip.

Default thanks

We plan on spending a few days. The tides are supposed to be good so thought we might tryand find a nice cove and anchor up for the night. We used Long bay last time but wanted to explore a little. Is there a good anchorage on Perry or Lone Island? Like the shallower ones as apooswed to the deep water.

If the weather is good you could anchor in that south bay of Perry, but it offers no protection from Southerly blows. The best anchorages are on the North end of Perry. For a totally protected anchorage, you could go to Hidden Bay on Culross. Might be a bit buggy, and the entrance is a bit tricky, but a neat place to visit.

I don't think there are any anchorages on Lone Island.

I'm assuming you don't have a copy of the Lethcoe's PWS cruising guide, it is worth every penny and I wouldn't go out in the sound w/o it. Very thorough description of every anchorage in the sound, and good advice as to the hazards.

West Twin Arm Bay on Perry. Go quite a ways into it, but not too far (don't go to the right around the spit) because it gets shallow to dry at low tide. Up next to the spit is good, or to the left as you look at the spit. Fairly shallow, around 50 or so if I remember. Bring bug dope or head net. No see-ums were bad all around last weekend.

Default thanks

WE did get a copy of Lethcoes book, yes it is very informative. Like to get first hand info too as things can change. How about the Resurrection Bay anchorages is there a book for that area? WE haven't made up our mind which place to go and sounds like the Halibut fishing might be better there. But we want to spend the night to save on gas. Are the coves in Ailiak area safe from weather? It is our first year at this and so we have lots of questionsDo appriciate the help from everyone. Just really wanna be safe especially at night. Don't want to wake up adrift in rough water! So thanks

Default Fidalgo, Two Moon

I love to camp in Fidalgo and Two Moon Bay. Fidalgo is great withthe goats on the moutain. Have often seen bears out that way too. The next morning we can hit Bligh or Goose Is or go out to red head for the flat fish. If that side stinks, a run over to Naked and Story is not out of the question.