Thread: Outboard Jet Problems

Default Outboard Jet Problems

Anyone have any ideas?
    I've got a 1995 35 hp Evinrude factory jet. When I run it at full throttle for about 10 minutes, it shuts down and will not allow me to throttle past idle. I had similar issues last season. I have cleaned out the thermostat and rebuilt the carb (I had a stuck float back then). I'm using good (new) gas and fuel is getting to the motor. I have also made sure my fuel can vent is open.
    Any ideas?!?!?!

When was the last time you replaced the bulb?
    Could be something in the motor is defective causing you to go into "limp" mode. Just a couple of guesses here.
    Tennessee

Check the easy stuff first. Sounds like a similar roblem I had a few years back and found it to only be a kink in my fuel line. Gravity would feed enough past the kink to the carb at idle, but when I went to full throttle it would sputter and spit all over itself after 5 or 10 minutes. I would shut it down, look at everything, cuss, and shout, then start it back up and it would run great again... For 5 or 10 minutes. What was going on was that every time I shut it down, some fuel would gravity feed back to the carb and it would run fine again until that fuel was used up. I hate to tell everything I did, and how long it took for me to find this 5 minute and $.20 fix!!!

Low oil and high temps will both cause most outboards to go into a safe mode and limit you to idle. Its common in outboard jets to fill the water pump or the inlet/outlet plumbing with sand or river vegetation. Assuming you have oil, drop the jet foot, remove the impeller, and remove the jet unit housing from the powerhead. You don't need to remove the shaft assembly to do this, it'll drop out with the housing. You'll find the water pump attached to the top side of the jet unit once you have it out. Its a little plastic housing that the shaft runs through. Remove the water pump, clean it out, and reinstall the jet. That'll usually get it done. One sign that the water pump is clogged is the your above water exhaust will be venting steam, not water. If that sounds familiar, drop the jet and clear the water pump for sure.

Thumbs up try iboats

try iboats.com

they have a great forum broken down by engine manufacturer.... (and other topics) research the forum FIRST! You'll probly see another posting w/ similar problem (& fix)