Thread: 375 Ruger - Also Finished!

Default 375 Ruger - Also Finished!

Thanks to those who chimed in to help me select a good optic for the 375 Ruger back in this thread:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=25445

I ended up selecting the VX-III in a 1.75 -6x with a custom Gun Metal finish from the Leupold custom shop. It is a fair bit darker than the matte finish on the rings / rest of the rifle, but it does look great on the gun and I think it was worth the wait. They quoted 14 weeks to allow for corrections to be made if the finish didn't come out correctly the first time.

After several conversations with Leupold technical support, it became clear the scope is anodized out-of-house for the the "Leupold Custom Shop." This is less preferable to having things done in house IMHO, but it does look fantistic and has no flaws. I assume it will be as durable as one of their standard finishes.

All right, photos done uploading... sorry for the quality, taking pictures of a rifle was harder than I imagined. I hope you enjoy!

The other rifle is an M77 Mk II in .243 Winchester.

I have the 375 shooting 1-1.5" groups at 100 yards after one trip to the range with the scope mounted - I did shoot it open sights for a bit first. The low 1.75x is a great "replacement" for open sights.

My trip to the Sitka area is coming up at the end of this month. I'll post any pictures of wildlife that succumbs to this new setup after the trip!

Looks good! Are you shooting factory ammo or reloading for that rifle?

What are you hunting in Sitka? Deer and bear? I really want to shoot a bear with my Alaskan.

Shooting factory Ammo, hunting deer on this go around. I really want to shoot something larger as well, but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards for this trip...

I know that this has likely been covered before but what kind of steel is under the "matt black" ruger finish? I like the look of it but I don't want to give up my care-free stainless when I finally step and buy my medium bore.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I know that this has likely been covered before but what kind of steel is under the "matt black" ruger finish?
    It's stainless.

Bahnstoermer,
    That’s a great looking Ruger Stainless Alaskan you have there! I’ve got a major drool issue going just looking at the outfit! I have a .375 Ruger on my wish list and hope to deck it out much like yours in the near future.

Either that sling is upside down or you carry it slung barrel down on purpose?

Default 375

Awesome rig. Thanks for sharing
    Al

what loads for that are you using on deer? do you think it is over powered at all? i am looking for the all around alaska cartridge, and that rifle is awesome. im jealous.

Those Ruger's have some of the best factory iron sites as well.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the compliments. I'm experimenting with carrying it "upside down" yes... probably one of my fads, but I do like how smoothly you can bring the rifle to your shoulder from that position so I'm seeing if I can get used to it.

I'm not sure how it will perform on deer yet as it's brand new, but I will be able to tell you very shortly after the season opens up Since the 300 gr and 275 gr are shooting so similarly for me I've decided just to stick with the 300's... It was my choice to the "all around Alaska catridge" question, that's for sure! About a 10" drop at 300 yds when zeroed at 200 which is probably farther than I'll shoot it with the optics on it now, so I figured I couldn't do much better than that, being it has 4700 ft lbs at the muzzle and all. For this first hunt I have it shooting a little high at a hundred, a little low at two and we'll see how that goes.

I like it and I know you will have some fun with that one.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS