Thread: Lyman Deerstalker- WOW!!!

Default Lyman Deerstalker- WOW!!!

I think I made a mistake.

My wife is a longtime hunter and enjoys shooting muzzleloaders with me, but hates the weight and muzzleheavy feel of most ML's. She'll shoot my 32 and 36 cal MLs all day long cuzz they're lighter, and prefers the 36 cuzz it's short and not as muzzleheavy as even the 32 Crockett. But she hasn't taken up big game hunting with a ML because she doesn't like the handling of big bores.

Based on reports and my one opportunity to handle one, I ordered a Lyman Deerstalker in 54 caliber for her birthday so she could add big game to her muzzleloading options.

My mistake?

Buying it for her rather than for me!!

Its weight is so central that it's not barrel heavy at all. It handles more like a Winchester 94. Very fast pointing and easy to carry. Its short 24" barrel completes the illusion. I haven't measured, but I bet it's not over 3' long. And it weighs just over 7 pounds, less than most bolt actions without scopes.

The barrel is 1:48" twist, so it's good for both conicals and roundballs. In fact, it may be one of the most accurate muzzleloaders I've ever seen. With light powder charges and roundballs it's an ideal small game gun, but you can heat up roundball loads for deer and more. If you prefer conicals, the twist is fine for those, too. It has a recoil pad rather than a hooked butt, so it's more comfortable with heavy loads. It comes with fiberoptic sights too, if you like those. It also has sling swivel studs.

I opted for 54 caliber to shave off a few more ounces, but it's also available in 50 cal. Best of all, I was able to order it new for under $300. Quality-wise, it's the best buy around in muzzleloaders. Just a whole lot of gun for not much money.

I feel kind of like a kid in the candy store with no money, though. She won't let me shoot it!!!!

Glad both of you like that Lyman Deerstalker. When I bought my TC Big Boar, I actually had intended to by the Deerstalker, but went with the BB cause it was one of the last one's available. The DS always looked like a good size/style to carry a lot and shoot a little. With the round ball, it probably shoots pretty sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyEngr View Post
    Glad both of you like that Lyman Deerstalker. When I bought my TC Big Boar, I actually had intended to by the Deerstalker, but went with the BB cause it was one of the last one's available. The DS always looked like a good size/style to carry a lot and shoot a little. With the round ball, it probably shoots pretty sweet!
    Hang onto that Big Bore! I looked for one for a long time and never connected. Finally spent more for my short 58, actually a TC Hawken with lots of mods to accept a custom barrel. My wife likes the balance on it, but feels it's just too darned heavy. The heavy barrel explains the weight in spite of the way the taper (1 1/8" to 15/16") makes handling so nice.

She's doesn't object to normal recoil, though I'm likely to keep her on RB loads rather than conicals unless she wants to shoot something bigger than deer. She shot my light 54 inline with a heavy charge and conicals once, and darned near quit shooting muzzleloaders altogether. Come to think of it, I don''t shoot many conicals through that sucker myself!