Thread: Classic 1957 Husqvarna 30-06 gets her day at the range.

Default Classic 1957 Husqvarna 30-06 gets her day at the range.

This old gal came to me with some rust, a rotted recoil pad, no front sight, gummed up trigger, no scope or mounts and a cracked stock.

So I glass bedded the action and barrel channel. Plus pinned and epoxyed the split inside the stock.
    Installed an old Redfield one piece scope mount and also install the 3x9 Euro Model scope off the Rem 700 Mnt Rifle with the recently busted stock.
    Lots of cleaing and JB compouind cleaned up the old barrel. And some work on the double set trigger seems to have paid off.

I tried to kep the exterior of the stock looking close to original, So I steamed out the dents and scratches and avoided sanding it. Today I took her out to the range.

Group photos next post down. It does kick a bit since it is so lightweight. I put about 50 rounds through her today o make sure she was not going to crack.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Here are the two best groups from today off sandbags. Not for a 51 year old lightweight rifle. I need to work up some good handloads.

Mighty good shooting with that 06, yes, the 30-06 is mighty fine in a lot of ways and accuracy is one of her consistent attributes if the rifle is right, the load is good and the shooter can shoot. Nice
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Sweet Rifle

I like the fact that she came to you bruised and battered and you healed her!
    My kind of project and she looks and shoots great.

Ed

Default Now THAT's My Kind of Project!

Beat, bashed and abused pieces generally can be had for quite a bit less money to start with, OR there's a true gem hiding behind damage, abuse or neglect. Most folks just shake their heads wondering why in the world I'd be interested in such a piece.....the most common remark after the remake is 'where'd you get that one?' after they were standing there when I bought it. Not everyone can see past the foibles to the heart of a piece. An old gunsmith in Cheyenne used to describe it as having 'an eye for a line'. Good eye!!!

Fp,very Nice!!

Question For the mechanically declined

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I tried to kep the exterior of the stock looking close to original, So I steamed out the dents and scratches and avoided sanding it.
    Nice shooting.

For those of us who have no woodworking background beyond the radial-arm saw, how does a person steam out dents and scratches in a stock?

Nice shooting.

For those of us who have no woodworking background beyond the radial-arm saw, how does a person steam out dents and scratches in a stock?

1. Steal wifes steam iron for your shop.

2. Steal assorted old towels.

3. Buy some denatured alcohol, mineral spirits and maybe some acetone.

4. Buy some super fine steel wool.

Step A.

Wipe off as much oil type stain from the surface of the stock with denatured alcohol. This will remove lots of oily stuff.

Step B.

If step A went well, wrap parts of the stock with a damp towel. Get the steam iron going and steam iron the stock with lots of attention to the dented areas.

Step C.

Step B usually brings more oil to the surface of the wood. So wipe it down again with denatured alcohol.

Step D.

Repeat above until dents seem less deep. Then steel wool the stock with fine steel wool. The wood fibers will be sticking up like a two day old beard.

Repeat Steaming until desired effect is obtained.

With stocks covered with varnish type products you may have to clean them with lacquer thinner or acetone.

With old, old, stocks stained black by over oiling, mineral spirits will bring out lots of old black oil from the wood. It really works when heated by the steam iron.

I'm thinking of sending you one of my old hand me downs! Those huskys are great rifles and with the schnable and double set..very classy.

Nice job

I will try to get some good photos of how the double set trigger works.

It is in two parts... One pinned in the trigger guard/floorplate and the other part pinned under the sear. Kinda neat, but it was a big pain to get it to work right...

I would like to see pictures of how that double set trigger works, that would be cool.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Very nice work. It always gratifying to take something 50 years old and make it new again. Its projects like these that make me wonder why they dont build them like they used to.