Thread: This one fish cost over $400

Default This one fish cost over $400

How's that possible? It's easy. Just hook a ling, back up to the other side of the boat to give your buddy room to bring the fish on board, and as you're backing up knock your buddy's brand spankin' new Avet $329 reel that's attached to a brand spankin' new halibut rod into PWS. Then you watch it sink, as if in slow motion, into the depths. Earlier this season, my buddy had his line break and he lost his weight and circle hook in about 100 feet of water. As we were making a second drift, I was jigging and brought up his rigging. Figured I'd at least try to snag his new Avet setup. But sometimes lighting doesn't strike twice.

So why the smile on my face in the pic? Maybe has to do with killing the lings (we brought back 3 but released more), getting halibut limits 2 days in a row, 6 reds, and 15 gallons of shrimp over the July 4 weekend. Oh, and knowing that I had a couple of days before I had to tell my wife I'd need to replace my buddy's gear! I offered to pay to replace it all, but he offered to split the cost. That was cool.

And if you snag a Avet setup near Montague, you'll know the story behind it!

Default Great fish

Thanks for sharing the story.

Maybe someone may find the outfit for you. (fingers crossed)
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Coordinates...

Skydiver,
    I'm headed out there in a week. If you give me your coordinates where you lost it, i'll jig around and see if we can snag it. Always willing to help ya know!! (LOL)
    BK

That sucks! I can feel your buddy's pain.

I once had a 9 wt 4 pc Sage RPL+ with a matching Abel fly reel loaded with brand new shooting line and Hi-D shooting head go overboard on a WA albacore trip.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    How's that possible? It's easy. Just hook a ling, back up to the other side of the boat to give your buddy room to bring the fish on board, and as you're backing up knock your buddy's brand spankin' new Avet $329 reel that's attached to a brand spankin' new halibut rod into PWS. Then you watch it sink, as if in slow motion, into the depths. Earlier this season, my buddy had his line break and he lost his weight and circle hook in about 100 feet of water. As we were making a second drift, I was jigging and brought up his rigging. Figured I'd at least try to snag his new Avet setup. But sometimes lighting doesn't strike twice.

So why the smile on my face in the pic? Maybe has to do with killing the lings (we brought back 3 but released more), getting halibut limits 2 days in a row, 6 reds, and 15 gallons of shrimp over the July 4 weekend. Oh, and knowing that I had a couple of days before I had to tell my wife I'd need to replace my buddy's gear! I offered to pay to replace it all, but he offered to split the cost. That was cool.

And if you snag a Avet setup near Montague, you'll know the story behind it!

Where and how deep is the water, I got a buddy that might go diving for you?

100 ft. The exact coordinates are.......gee, memory escapes me
    But thanks for the offer!

Nice ling!

I have small carabiners that I clip my butt rods in with, I figure I need not learn the $400 lesson

I wish I could figure out a way to fish for nice ling cod around Montegue for only $400.00 per keeper fish.

Quote Originally Posted by kcedar View Post
    I wish I could figure out a way to fish for nice ling cod around Montegue for only $400.00 per keeper fish.
    $400 just for the lost gear. I don't want to even think about everything else money went towards that weekend!

Default $80 per pound

That's about what I shelled out for three reds I caught week before last at the Russian. The fuel pump went out on my truck at the top of Turnagain Pass on the way home. Cost me $200 for a tow to Bird House Garage, nearly $800 for repairs, plus fuel down and back twice trying to fixit myself.

I feel your pain.