Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flies for silvers

Default Flies for silvers

I have yet to attempt to catch a silver on the fly. What type of flies do I need? I will be fishing mainly the parks highway streams. Thanks in advance.

Purple Egg Sucking Leeches. or olive, or black or maroon.

I also use various leech/bugger patterns with hourglass eyes.

Flash flies are the fly fisher's Pixie (spoon) when it comes to silvers. I carry them in green, red, and orange in sizes 2 through 4/0 and use a quick strip while fishing them.

Default Worked for me...

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    Flash flies are the fly fisher's Pixie (spoon) when it comes to silvers. I carry them in green, red, and orange in sizes 2 through 4/0 and use a quick strip while fishing them.
    I've also had good luck with Popsicles and Bucktail streamers with mylar tube bodies on the coastal streams on the AK Peninsula. Quick strip and hold on tight!!!

Default Yarn flies

I catch silvers - and about everything else - on yarn flies.

Carry hooks and a bunch of different colored yarns and tie on the spot to match what is working at the moment. Purists turn up their noses at my flies but they work very well for me.

Yarn flies are harder to tie with smaller hooks but I don't normally use small hooks for salmon anyway.

Same thing works for reds and kings.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default And if pink doesn't work...

Advice I read about fly fishing for silvers (FishAlaska or ADN):

"Try pink. And if pink doesn't work, try pink".

So, I always carry a few pink flies.

With silver's, my experience is "the flashier" the better. Use lots of silver mylar tubing and tinsel while tying your flies. Fish them with longish, quick strips. As far as color goes I think that is secondary to the flash. The most popular colors would be green, orange, and pink but everyone has their favorites.

Ploar Shrimp, Egg Sucking leeches and the Polly Wogg for top water action.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

My go to fly is the Pink Popsicle. After that it a Purple Egg Sucking Leech with a little bit of flash in the body. Next comes the Fash Fly with orange or red hackle in the front. Lastly I use the Fergeson and Green. I tend to tie them on #4 Salmon Hooks. even though the hook is on the larger size I like my flies tied sparsley. It does seem to make a difference on my favorite river. I like Tiemco because they come sticky sharp.

When fishing holes that contain fish that quit biting it's often worth it to change my fly to a COMPLETELY different style and that elicits a new bite.

Typically I forgo sinking lines even though I own several. Even the fastest sinking lines don't get down as fast as I usually prefer. I use a floating line with about a 12 foot leader and enough split shot to get it down FAST. I refer to it as the Duck and Chuck method. Getting hit in the back of the head on a forward cast hurts! I then cast into a likely hole, let it sink, and then start to strip at a steady pace with about one foot strips. Bring lots of flies with this method because you loose several to snags.

One other fly I'm not without when fishing estuaries is a crazy charley style fly with heavy lead eyes. Green on bottom with white on top. the fly rides upside down when in the water. Plus it's less likely to snag on barnacles and seaweed. Just a tad of flash is good in the fly too.

Good luck.

Default Flies..

I read up on the subject last year while planning our trip on the Goodnews in SW this past Aug/Sept. Everything I read said to use pink, pink, and pink. We had all kinds of bright streamers and such, yet had very little success. We started using bead head olive woolly buggers size #2 and began catching fish. We did have bluebird skies and much of our fishing was in the middle of the day as we floated the 62 mile Goodnews. Perhaps in overcast conditions or early/late in the day we would have had different results. But I would suggest taking some olive esl or woolly buggers along just in case.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Good thread...

Wow, good advice on this thread.

From Top Water by Troy Leatherman and Tony Weaver:
    "...fluorescent colors, especially pink or chartreuse...patterns tempered with black or purple...[and]...another important element...is movement" for freshwater coho.

I like dumbbell eyes for the weight and action they impart.
    I've also had good luck with the advice above to change to a completely different style of fly when they aren't biting.

Bill England, who used to work at Mtn View Sports, suggested tying a pattern in different weights, using a different color for each weight. I've recently started trying this with leech patterns because conditions often dictate a lighter or heavier fly in leeches, which I fish most.

Hope you score good fish. They're coming!

Default Book..

That is a great book. Available on the forum store I think. A must read. Also, "Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska" is a great book. Tons of maps in that book. It is the best book about telling you where to go and exactly how to get there.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I put some of these flies together to try for Silvers.

I tied a long tailed fly like the grren one on the bottom using pink and I caught two Chums on it before losing it to a snag.

The three flies at the top I was experimenting wrapping the rabbit strip and flash chenile around the fly together, it made a nice flash fur body.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails S7300073.jpg  
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Articulated Bunny Leech

For the Parks Highway streams I would have a handful of articulated bunny leeches in my fly box. You'll have do a bit of experimenting with colors, but flies with a mixture of purple and fuschia seem to work best for me. Just apply a wet fly swing using a sink tip line and top it off with a wiggle or a quick strip at the end of the swing.

Good luck,

tt

Red face what??

What, my post just below yours isn't good enough? lol

Wink Sorry??

FishnMan,

I didn't want to presume to recommend a fly for a stream I have not even seen before. Having said that though, if there are silvers around, an articulated leech will probably work.

tt

Default Lol Tt

Quote Originally Posted by trouting_thomas View Post
    FishnMan,

I didn't want to presume to recommend a fly for a stream I have not even seen before. Having said that though, if there are silvers around, an articulated leech will probably work.

tt
    No, what I meant was, I just posted a thread about "Flies for Silvers" just before MMcLaughlin did! lol

cone head dolly llamas...hands down the best fly for silvers...and in the right colors they will slay the rainbows also....I don't know what it is about them but they are just an amazing fly...my only complaint is that i've had the fly come apart at the articulation before which can be frustrating

Armo Ak,
    Are you tying your own or buying them? I use 50# spider wire for my trailer hook attachment looping around behind the eye of the trailrer and tying up the front hook shank then folding back and tying back to the bend then after I attach my material I lay a bead of super glue before I work back up to finish the fly. Hope that helps, I have never had this come apart. Oh ya, on the trailer hook build up the head so the gap of the eye is not exsposed. This can fray the braided connection to the front hook.

George

Hi all, I'm going to be coming over to kodiak island in september, was looking to tie some of the dolly llamas, I haven't been able to find any pictures of them online, does anyone have a picture they could post and tying instructions?

Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast