Thread: Grizz hunt ?

Default Grizz hunt ?

I am looking to go find a grizz this fall, and I have no idea where to start. I need something that is road/atv accesible, and I am not looking to shoot a world record. Just want a decent bear. Any help would be appreciated.

I just flew a light aircraft a couple of weeks ago 20-25 minutes SW of Anchorage and saw a dozen Brown and three blacks. They were along the beach across the inlet on the west side of Redoubt Bay. There was a nice blond mounting a sow that wasn't to happy with the fly by.

I know you said roads but these were easy pickings. There is a flying service across the bay at http://www.alaskawestair.com/ not sure what they would charge for a drop off but it would only be about a 10-15 minute flight from their lake/strip. Area 16B, not sure if it fits your needs.

Several cow moose with calf's in the area, one with triplets, I hope they keep them.

Happy hunting...
    Last edited by marshall; 07-06-2008 at 21:07. Reason: deleted an improper word...

The Denali Highway is a great place to target grizzlies via ATV. The season is open year-round and you're allowed one every year, as it is considered a predator control area. You won't likely find huge bears, but most of them are pretty and blonde bears abound.

Matt

I've an idea for you...shooting you a pm.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The Denali Highway is a great place to target grizzlies via ATV. The season is open year-round and you're allowed one every year, as it is considered a predator control area. You won't likely find huge bears, but most of them are pretty and blonde bears abound.
    +1 for ATV Grizz hunt. Around Butte creek I never fail to see Grizzlies in fall.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Urban View Post
    Matt

I've an idea for you...shooting you a pm.

Jim
    Thanks Jim. I will give that a try. Thanks for all the replies guys.