Thread: Smoking in cold/wet weather?

Question Smoking in cold/wet weather?

Two Part Question...

1. Okay...so I smoked a bunch of fish this summer in 60-70 degree dry weather and it took about 6-7hrs....

Now that is raining and 50-60... how long should it take? Or...should I just avoid smoking when it is raining? I am using a Big Cheif elec smoker. *Currently on hour 9 of first batch and still not done.*

2. Now that it is taking a lot longer then expected to get the first batch done, how long can my fish sit in the brine? At this rate I might smoke one batch a day...and I have 3 batches left. Can I just keep the fish in the brine for the whole time in the fridge? Or refreeze it until it is ready?

Thanks for any advice!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

I'd have to ask how you are determining "done-ness." Are you measuring internal temp, external temp, moisture content loss, time, 'feel'? I've smoked fish a bunch in the rain (where exactly did you find this 70 degree dry weather this summer?) and it does take longer, but I couldn't give you a specific time, because I don't use time as the determining factor. One option I would offer is to smoke for a certain amount of time, to ensure flavor, then finish in the oven to guarantee the fish reach the proper dryness/internal temperature. I've used 160F.
    I wouldn' keep the fish in the brine much longer than what you normally do. Wash it off, and store in the fridge in a sealed container/bag if possible, or freeze if necessary (more than 24-48 hr delay). Not the best choice, but it does work.

--fanger

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher
    Two Part Question...

1. Okay...so I smoked a bunch of fish this summer in 60-70 degree dry weather and it took about 6-7hrs....

Now that is raining and 50-60... how long should it take? Or...should I just avoid smoking when it is raining? I am using a Big Cheif elec smoker. *Currently on hour 9 of first batch and still not done.*

2. Now that it is taking a lot longer then expected to get the first batch done, how long can my fish sit in the brine? At this rate I might smoke one batch a day...and I have 3 batches left. Can I just keep the fish in the brine for the whole time in the fridge? Or refreeze it until it is ready?

Thanks for any advice!
    Jim Creek - Home of the burning car hook cast!