Thread: Anchorage to Anchor Point area

Default Anchorage to Anchor Point area

I have asked this question before on this forum and have got mostly "it's a bad idea" responses.
    Has anyone taken a boat from Anchorage to Homer/Deep creek area? I have been launching my jet boat in Anchorage the past few days, and will tonight at high tide, working on getting it running smoothly. If anyone has, how long does it take? What about the shipping channels?
    It looks like a straight shot from here and a person goes a lot further going halibut fishing out of Seward it appears to me. I know the water can get bad and stuff though, but it also does the same in Whittier and Seward, whatever. It seems if you watched the weather you should be fine on a nice day with a good forecast.
    The reason I'm asking again is because I'm seeing lots of halibut carcasses at the boat launch in Anchorage, making me think someone else is doing it.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I too have seen the halibut carcasses at the downtown launch.I wondered if they were caught elsewhere brought home to clean and then dumped the carcass at the ramp. I was just about to post a thread asking what the furthest North people actually HAVE or have GOOD info on halibut being caught in Cook Inlet near Anchorage. As far as boating toward Kenai, the fact that there is very few places to take refuge from the weather is what concerns me. I have boated down around Fire Island and have ran to the Big Su and back. It can get pretty rough at times. Places to hide are few and far between if you were to make the trip.

Wild dog- It seems to me that Anchorage to Ninilchik is a long way for a small boat. I've made the Anchorage to Kenai river run twice, but that was 15+ years ago with my father in a 37' boat, so the weather wasn't much of a concern of ours. We traveled about 25-27 mph, so that particular run took us roughly 3 hours. With a jet boat, I would be very concerned about the weather. It's pretty rare when the Inlet is flat calm, and it can go calm to rough in a short time. What's Anchorage to Ninilchik? 110-120 miles by water? I would think you could trailer down there in less time.

Brian

Default Next year...

I was going to do it this year, but didn't have the time/logisitics planned out early enough. I think it is feasable though. It is about 150 statute miles to homer, which would be like going from whittier to seward, or homer to kodiak. As stated, if the weather gets foul it may be hard to find a place to hide. The shipping channels are marked on the nautical chart, and would be easy to follow, there are a lot of roving sand bars out there, so it would be wise to stay near the shipping channels, because if you hit a sandbar on a falling tide you will be high and dry in minutes, then it's a crapshoot as to what the weather will be like in 8 hours when the tide lifts you back off. That being said, if its nice in anchorage, and nice in homer, and a forcast calling for 2 ft seas for a few days it would be fun. You have a few creeks to go into for shelter if bad weather happens. One thing to consider is leaving early in the morning, like just before sun up, on an incoming tide that is just high enough to launch the boat so that when you make it close to or past calgin you will be at high tide and the rip tides won't be so swirly, and the winds don't usually start until noon or so.

Here is a good reference for this if you try it, it is a map of the potential places of refuge for the cook inlet.
    http://www.dec.alaska.gov/spar/perp/...orcombined.pdf

Things to consider are rip tides, they can be pretty nasty to small boats not only because they hold debris and deadheads, but the conflicting currents can cause standing/breaking waves and confused seas. Sand bars, LEAVE AND RETURN ON AN INCOMING TIDE, they are in the upper reaches, and not hard to find. Use a GPS and stay near the shipping lanes until ready to deviate for fish, know your places to hide, and have them marked on the GPS, don't travel to close to barges, they put out really big wakes, and USE YOUR HEAD!!!

This is all the information I have found to date, hope it helps.

Chris

Default Anchorage to Kenai

We had a guy from Kenai launch his drift boat at 20 mile river in Turnagin arm and drift/row back to Kenai. When he returned he said it was the stupidest thing he ever did and would never consider doing it again. It took him twice as long as he figured, he ran out of water and got stuck in the mud when the tide went out.

Quote Originally Posted by akmac View Post
    We had a guy from Kenai launch his drift boat at 20 mile river in Turnagin arm and drift/row back to Kenai. When he returned he said it was the stupidest thing he ever did and would never consider doing it again. It took him twice as long as he figured, he ran out of water and got stuck in the mud when the tide went out.
    That is pretty funny. (glad he made it though)

Quote Originally Posted by Powderpro View Post
    Wild dog- It seems to me that Anchorage to Ninilchik is a long way for a small boat. I've made the Anchorage to Kenai river run twice, but that was 15+ years ago with my father in a 37' boat, so the weather wasn't much of a concern of ours. We traveled about 25-27 mph, so that particular run took us roughly 3 hours. With a jet boat, I would be very concerned about the weather. It's pretty rare when the Inlet is flat calm, and it can go calm to rough in a short time. What's Anchorage to Ninilchik? 110-120 miles by water? I would think you could trailer down there in less time.

Brian
    Yeah, that's too far. I was thinking it was more like 50 or 60 miles, there is no way I would go over 100 miles in a 25 foot jet boat. Kenai looks closer, more like 60 miles though, but I don't know why I'd go there, I don't think you could get halibut there worth the ride.

Default Correction....

The water conditions in/out of Seward, Whittier are NOT the same as Cook Inlet; they don't have the tidal extremes. I grew up on boats and spent lots of time on the ocean but nothing could've prepped me for what I saw in the Cook Inlet during 3 years on a gillnetter.
    Nice weather means nothing if you get in a rip. I've seen it go from flat mirror calm to crap-your-pants scary in no time, and this was in a 34' gillnetter. I've seen crappy water out of Seward, but again I'd take that any day, any time compared to what the Inlet can offer up on a silver platter. Seems like it'd be cheaper & quicker just to trailer to good fishing anyways.
    Jim

Default Sounds dangerous

Yeah, I'm not doing it. Thanks for the input.
    I still can't believe the guy did it in a drift boat.