Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red's at Illinama

Default Red's at Illinama

Flew over yesterday in the C-180 and found that the run is just begining ... acording to FAA guy. I hooked and lost about a dozen, three keepers that were bright sliver. All in about 4 hours.

Water in the Newhalen down about 2 feet, crystal clear.

Default Iliamna fishing

Interested in heading out that direction for some fishing. Can you tell me a little about the strip, access to the water, do I need a boat, any native land concerns, best places to eat in town, best time to head out there? Any other information you may have will be very helpful.

Thanks
    AK

AK - Don't waste your time, man. There aren't any fish over there, the scenery is terrible, and the crowds awful.

The peak of the run over there is usually sometime around the 10th of July, but last year it was rockin' through at least the 20th. The strip is paved and HUGE - no issues there - and there is ample transient parking. From the parking area go through the gate and follow the trail that breaks off to the left. There is a port-a-potty there and a sign explaining the limits (5 reds/person) that clearly mark the beginning of the trail. I'm not sure what the land status is in the surrounding areas, but the trail to the river and the fishable bank is public land. It's about a mile to the river. Once you get there you can fish downstream a bit (the wadeable area where it widens is productive on light fly gear) or upstream for a few hundred yards. Besides the area by the mouth, the river is VERY swift. There are great areas, but if the fish move into the current they're as good as gone. Naturally, there are also a lot of bears in the area. I'm not sure about places to eat, as we've always brought our own food. Town itself is a little ways away, but there is a lodge there next to the strip, so I'm sure they serve food.

Good luck! I'm not sure if we'll be making it over there since we have a newborn in the house, but we're starting to get the itch and may decide to give it a shot in about a week.

Default Brian, thanks for getting back on this one

It is one of the few hassel free places to get at some great fishing. Also, the route is well traveled, internet web cams and good radio communication all the way through Lake Clark Pass. Just about anything that flies (except ultralights) can get there and back on a decent day. Just stay to the left on the way to Illiamna and do not get caught in a box canyon. I always want 5,000 ft going through. From that height you can see the entire pass and you will have a hard time making a wrong turn. Last trip had a 10 kt tail wind going there and I was seeing about 145 kts all the way through the pass, 1:10 hr/min from Birchwood ... just bragging

Default Thanks Guys!

I've always wanted to make this trip. Just never really knew how to get down to the river. Didn't want to make the trip down there totally in the dark. By the way, if any of you are going to make the trip this weekend, let me know. Would love to get the airplane out of the valley, its about time.

Default 1:10 from Birchwood...

That makes me jealous... I was 3.1 hours PAIL to PAMR !

Low and slow !

Bob K.
    Anchorage, AK

Default 1:10 from Birchwood

Yea ... but you did not burn 40 gal of 100 LL to get there and back, conditions were very good going southwest on that day. Coming back it was more like 1:45, gps of 130 kts or less with a head wind. A no damage history aircraft with a bigger motor helps. You can get in and out of places I would not even consider, it is all a matter of trade offs.

Default Friday

Headed out early friday morning weather permiting. Hope to get enough fish to make the trip worth while. Ill let you all know how it went when i get back. Well if i even make it out of town. Weather lately sure has been temperamental.

Default Iliamna this weekend

Heading out this Saturday afternoon. I got a Halibut trip on Sunday so it looks like a early Sunday morning return from Iliamna, catch a couple hours sleep and then a flight down to Ninilchik just in time to jump on the boat.

Default Friday

If I can get a "kitchen pass" I will go Friday AM, what is your "N" number AKPacer. I am N7678A white red & blue C-180.

The weather is looking good today and should improve tomorrow, it should not be an issue. Tried to go the last few days but it was too crappy.

Default Not too good this morning!

ocnfish, Well was already to go this AM with the same thought in mind as you. Looking okay yesterday, should have been better today. Until i woke up to 900 ft ceilings and 3m vis. I will be trying again tommorrow, but we will see. Although the pass looked very nice this morning. I can't say that is normally the case. Oh ya, just in case N4565A. Red and cream pacer.

Yeah ... the same crud that was in Lk Clark Pass on thrusday with a shift of wind direction ended up in the valley and Birchwood. Some times the weather is all about on shore flow, the barometer is about 30:12 mb ... should be blue sky's but the moist air coming off the water hits the moutians starts to rise and then guess what ... instant clouds & rain ...

Weather God's willing I will give it a shot tomorrow.

By the way, it is a single hook area, just like the Russian river, so bring coho files and lots of them as you will loose a few in the rocks and on fish that break line.

Thanks for the heads up on the loosing gear possibility. Ill make sure i bring extra. Will be shooting for a 7:00am departure. Im sure with that c-180 you could leave an hour after me and still beat me down.
    Hope to meet ya!

Default Lake Clark Pass

The pass looks good this morning and Iliamna is calling clr skys so it should be a decent day to run down there. Looks like there is a front heading up from Dillingham but the 24hr says Iliamna is good to go.

Time to go fuel the plane.

Default Iliamna fishing

Man, talk about slow fishing. It took about 3 casts to hook a fish. I was hoping for the 1-2 casts per fish kinda day.

AKHUNTER....Your not kidding, what a great day of fishing. After the questionable king fishing this spring in the valley, that was a breath of fresh air.

How about the ride back ... at times I was indicating 140 mph but gps was showing 92 kts (105 mph). Based upon advice from a fellow pilot flying a Cherokee 6, I decided to try the pass at around 1500 ft. to avoid turbulance. For the most part that worked except when entering the pass from the east and rounding the corner at the first mountian. I think it would have been a constant struggle at higher altitudes. Picked up a tail wind on the Cook Inlet side and made up the time I lost in the pass.

All in all a good trip but as always, between fish I was thinking about the weather in the pass and the bear that was in the area.

Default Pretty similar

Ocnfish, Took your advice and did the same. Except 2000ft following the north shore of lake clark. Got good tailwinds till about port alsworth when it started turning into a headwind. Lots of ups and downs while in the pass, but once we got out of the narrows it almost immediatly turned to a nice smooth tailwind all the way back. I had to smile at the face of my passenger when we got knocked by a few of the bursts coming out of the side valleys in the pass. And he wants to learn how to fly!!

Default Iliamna fishing

I got home on Saturday around 10pm with that storm right on my heels down in the pass. My wife was so mad that she didnt go she made me take her down there today.

I guess 2 days of awesome fishing isnt all that bad. The only difference between Sat and Sun was the weather was good down there today and we could take our time and not watch the clouds rolling in. There was also a lot less people today. And I brought a net to aid in landing them on the rocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast