Thread: alaska residents help

Default alaska residents help

ok here i is my ? of the day been wondering for the last three years now so here it is???is about pinks i fish in mid july so i never even seen the pinks my ? is are they that bad i have heard them called dog salmon ie feed em to the dog also i have been told by some that salmon preferance would be as followsreds then silvers followed by pinks if your starving are they really that bad reason i ask is i may be going up this aug and with it being a even year i know pinks will be there also i have been told silvers are hard to catch due to the aggressive nature of pinks one person told me he caught 20 plus pinks to get on silver anyone care to comment on this ??well thanks for the time see you all on the 18-28th

Yes this will be a big year for Pinks. My preference is Reds, Kings, Silvers, then Pinks. They arn't really that bad, just treat them like planter trout when you cook them and they will be OK. Silvers and pinks are both aggressive, it's just that on even years the Pinks are so much more numerous that they tend to get to your lure first. You can always trell when you hook a Pink, they fight in circles, and rarely run.

Good Luck TL

Dog salmon are a different species. Chum salmon are called dogs, whereas Pink salmon are called humpies due to the large dorsal hump that males develop when ready to spawn.

As for table fare, pinks in the ocean are fine. They have a much lower oil content, so they don't have the rich flavor of kings or reds. They're not very good for smoking due to this, but are OK grilled or fried. Once they hit the rivers, though, they turn to mush pretty quickly. Again, due to their low fat content they tend to turn bad much more quickly than the other salmon species. They sure are a load of fun to catch, though, and have salvaged many a day when other intended fish aren't present.

One more thing - chums (dogs) are also often found in the same waters as pinks. They're pretty agressive too, particularly for pink and purple flies and lures. Much like pinks, they're fine in the salt but turn quickly. They're beautiful for a picture with their purple and green striped sides, but you'll probably want to release them unless you're fishing in tidewater and catch one with silvery sides.

thanks for the info if anyone else has any pass it along

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    One more thing - chums (dogs) are also often found in the same waters as pinks. They're pretty agressive too, particularly for pink and purple flies and lures. Much like pinks, they're fine in the salt but turn quickly. They're beautiful for a picture with their purple and green striped sides, but you'll probably want to release them unless you're fishing in tidewater and catch one with silvery sides.
    And the Chums are sometimes mistaken for Silvers when they first enter the rivers. I checked out Kashwitna Creek yesterday. There were two on stringers that guys were carrying around showing off their "Silvers". I just said "nice fish". I am sure they probably got eaten and they did know the difference.

Default Pinks okay...

If fresh and taken care of (bled). I kept 6 pinks last year from Hope and ate them months later, they were fine, pretty mild, not as good as reds or the others, but I BBQ'd them and smoked a few. Not bad at all.
    Everyone says they gotta be fresh from the salt, but one year my dad caught a pink hog in Sterling, and that fish was just fine eating, but we bled it and ate it right away.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    And the Chums are sometimes mistaken for Silvers when they first enter the rivers. I checked out Kashwitna Creek yesterday. There were two on stringers that guys were carrying around showing off their "Silvers". I just said "nice fish". I am sure they probably got eaten and they did know the difference.
    This is funny as on the AOJ forum there is a person talking about those two SILVERS
    Last edited by 375ultramag; 07-06-2008 at 21:35. Reason: typo

Default Mmmmmm Fish

Quote Originally Posted by delicious fish View Post
    one person told me he caught 20 plus pinks to get on silver anyone care to comment on this ??well thanks for the time see you all on the 18-28th
    I THINK YOU WILL HAVE A GOOD RED SEASON THIS YEAR youre curse of the freezer is over now I hope......who does that any way I mean realy you go buy a new freezer the day before youre first trip to alaska,,NOW THATS JUST SILLY......YOU MIGHT AS WELL HAVE JUST RUBBED BANANAS IN YOURE HAIR AND BROKE A FEW MIRRORS.......DOES ANY BODY KNOW HOW LONG THE CURSE OF A NEW FREEZER LASTS ? THAT WAS 3 YEARS AGO I HOPE ITS OVER ,,,, BTW pinks are better than utah trout.

Default sivers and pinks

What I found on my trip to Alaska was that there were so many pinks in the water that I would quickly snag one. I removed the treble hook from my vibrax and replaced it with the single hook(included) and found that that allowed me to keep the lure in the water alot longer and resulted in a greater ratio of silvers caught.

ive always been told the silvers lie under the pinks. which gives the pinks the first shot at your lure. so i was told to use weight to get your lure to sink faster...?