Thread: Whats working on the gulkana

Default Whats working on the gulkana

Planning a trip this week to the gulkana. Does anybody know what baits are working? I know the numbers arnt high, but I got a feelin there gona get better this week.

Default As in the 12th!!!

Well if it does not stop Raining nothing will work well. I Just got off the thing after 4 days and brother it was in the words of my fishing P's Brutal . Not the fishing by any means for the first three days but the weather! BRRRR! Wetttttt! and rising water made for bad king fishing.

The Barn Doors blew off it on Monday water raised about 2ft even on the Middle above the forks which of course made for a bad time fishing Kings. 4-5 July last week we did well, Sunday was OK sourdough donw to the bring was good. Doug with Fish On Charters was doing well at the Forks that is until the rain hit.

All things being equal - Back trolling Flat fish was producing from Power boats, and Roe with Corkies were doing well from the shore. If the water comes down by Thurs there was a fresh small run coming through prior to the rains.

The entire river has been fishing in spurts IMO example: Monday June 23 18 fished hook on 5 clients, Tues not even close however people coming down from Poplar Grove did well.
    So on and so forth over the next 7 days. Fish were larger than average.

Any Who Hope this helps! Keep an eye on the weather if the rain has stopped head on down if it is still raining! ICK!

Blue Moose

Default Backtroll??

Leaving friday afternoon, hope the weather breaks. How do you back troll flatfish from power boats? Ive never tried it. usually I bank fish at the forks.

Point bow of boat down stream, toss baits out and pop the motor in and out of reverse to hold your position.

Default backtrolling

I bactroll by going to the upstream end of a hole then let out lines and slowly back off power to the point the current is moving you backwards through hole divers with spin and glows and eggs works best this time of year . try different colors it can make a difference good luck