Thread: Backpacking stove gas in Dillingham?

Question Backpacking stove gas in Dillingham?

Are backpacking stove (butane) canisters sold in Dillingham? If so, where?
    Thanks!
    Chris

Default Mail it up or get M S R whisperlite international stove

If you are able to, mail the fuel ahead of time. I had to do that just the other week for a trip up in the Noatak out of Kotzebue. Hard to find that msr (or similar) fuels in places like that. Actually, its almost impossible. I would also recommend getting a msr whisperlite international stove. It burns white gas which is available anywhere. It will also burn car gas, diesel, and kerosene. Very tough reliable stoves. I carried mine as a spare on the recent trip and fell in love with it. Boils water twice as fast as my msr pocket rocket and you never have to worry about mailing fuel or finding fuel again. Takes alot of stress out of the stove department. A repair kit is available for about $15 that includes every possible part that could break/wear out and good instructions. Vacuum seal them or zip lock atleast and you can take this stove anywhere in the world and have a reliable stove that you know you will be able to get fuel for.

Yes, there is a good hardware store across from the Wells Fago Bank and Post Office.

USASOF

Default AC stores too...

Because they run a network of stores across the state, a phone call to the AC stores can be useful. For a map of their stores click the "visit our family of stores" button at:
    http://www.alaskacommercial.com/

Then, Internet search for your location, such as: "alaska commercial store dillingham", gets you the phone number and whether they carry compatible cannisters. Once in town, you may find other stores also have fuel.

Shipping fuel? Plan ahead - see: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?p=448970. Multifuel stove option?: Danattherock's suggestion to use a multifuel stove is a good, practical suggestion. Imagine cold Mountain House...for 10 days...mmmmm

Good info there Dwight.

White gas is the way to go. You can get it anywhere.

Mailing fuel is illegal. Don't take advice from any fool that suggest you should do that

We get smarter as we go. Or that is the plan anyway.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default I don't know about...

Quote Originally Posted by USASOF View Post
    Yes, there is a good hardware store across from the Wells Fago Bank and Post Office.

USASOF
    ... across from Wells Fago, but I think he is referring to L&M Supply. Coleman fuel is always a sure bet in the bush... good old "Blazo" for those of us who have knocked around awhile.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

lol not only can you not mail it... shipping it via airline will nail you down to unless you pay some expiditor with the correctl legal classes to fill out the FAA HAZMAT forms. i tried to ship non flamible gas last week and was lucky to get out of there with all my parts attached. though my voice is still a little Sqeeeeky!

that will include the burton, msr, jet boil canisters as well...i had no idea hazmat shipping was such a pain... till last week.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

WhisperLight international and gas drained from your air taxi's plane when you realize you forgot to fill your fuel tank
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem