Thread: Charging batteries

Default Charging batteries

Does anybody charge their batteries in between boating/fishing trips? I've got two new batteries that I'd like to keep strong. Do I attach a trickle-charger on them with the battery switch on "OFF?" I was told that it's best to disconnect a marine battery before charging it. Are marine batteries negative or positive grounded?
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I always turn the battery switch off when its not in the water. I turn it on when I am working on the boat so I can use the stereo. I go a few weeks without using it and it holds a charge no problem. I have a solar panel that is always plugged in, but it doesn't matter the batteries last without it all summer. (Ex: I got an old truck that sits and NEVER gets used, it always starts whenever.)

Default Get a solar charger plug it in

they are about 30.00.
    This will keep he batteries charged and you can use it out on the water as well.
    Rob

Default marine battery solar charger

I haven't ever heard of these but it sounds like the best thing since sliced bread, where did you find em? I normally just do a deep cycle charge after getting home and it works well but a solar that could be used on the water sounds great. Appreciate it.

Sailboats and solar chargers are like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches they go together, walk the docks you'll trip over them. You can get them all over and in any shape and size from roll ups to big panels. Obviously West Marine has a pile of them, Sportsman Warehouse has different kinds, Overton's, etc... Mine has battery clamps and your basic cigarette plug-in, I have mine always plugged in at the cigarette (DC) plug. It suction cups to the inside of the windshield, about 4x18 inches. SILICONE THE EDGES ON THE SCREEN BEFORE YOU PLACE IT ON THE WINDSHEILD, its recommended in the instructions.

Default appreciate it

have to go have a look down at sportsman

Default Yes Yes & Yes

Does anybody charge their batteries in between boating/fishing trips?

I've got two new batteries that I'd like to keep strong. Do I attach a trickle-charger on them with the battery switch on "OFF?" I was told that it's best to disconnect a marine battery before charging it. Are marine batteries negative or positive grounded?
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Default Yes Yes & Yes

Does anybody charge their batteries in between boating/fishing trips?
    (1) Yes I put a charge on mine if they have sat for a little while, can't hurt any thing to make sure once in the water your ready to go.

Do I attach a trickle-charger on them with the battery switch on "OFF?" I was told that it's best to disconnect a marine battery before charging it.
    (2)Trickle chargers are good, but a pulse battery charger is way better, it pulses on and off to help keep the lead plates clear. Disconnecting the battery is not needed but charging them in the switch off position is important. If you charge two batterys at a time the voltage vegualtor will stop the charge when the first battery gets to a pre-set voltage, (13.8 If my memory works) hence the 2nd battery is not fully charged. Don't run with the switch in both either.
    Very important is to clean the tops of the battery, dust & dirt on the top can basicly make the contact between + & -, draining it.

Are marine batteries negative or positive grounded?
    Negitive ground but not like a auto where the ground can be picked up off the frame.

You can test for a voltage leak by, turning every thing off, dissconnect the + cable & turning one switch on, with a test light touch the + on the battery and the cable you just took off with the other end of the test light. If the light comes on you have some thing on, to isolate whats on pull fuses till the light goes off.

Default I have

duel batteries in my boat. One is strictly for starting and the other is for all other things that need flowing electrons.

I bought a battery charger from Bass Pro Shop and installed a plug connection. When I get home or before I go out I make sure I plug it in overnight.

If the starting battery goes dead (which it hasn't yet) I just pull start my Honda kicker and charge the battery.

I also have the accessory hooked up to the Big Evinrude so it charges while under way. Evinrude provides a seperate charging circut for two batteries.

Come winter I take the batteries out charge then full and stick them in a nice warm place.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/