Thread: DF 140 troubles

Default DF 140 troubles

For a year i have had trouble with my 140. Right from the start it would take 4000 to 4400 rpm to get on step plus the fuel milage is horrible. Also the oil is getting fuel into it. Compression is from 170 to 210. Any hints? About ready to send it back to the dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Badriverman View Post
    For a year i have had trouble with my 140. Right from the start it would take 4000 to 4400 rpm to get on step plus the fuel milage is horrible. Also the oil is getting fuel into it. Compression is from 170 to 210. Any hints? About ready to send it back to the dealer.
    I am not a mechanic, but if you are "making oil" (fuel in oil), I would suspect that the rings were not seated correctly during break in. Was the break in procedure recommended by the manufacturer followed? What type of boat is it pushing? How many GPH?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

It was right from the start. 22ft pacific skiff at about #1500 loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Badriverman View Post
    It was right from the start. 22ft pacific skiff at about #1500 loaded.
    Nice skiff! Are you hitting the upper half of the recommended RPM range at WOT? If not, this could be the reason for the poor economy. I assume that for any warranty service work you must send it in to Anchorage. Bummer

Sent you a PM, too.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

What pitch prop are you running on it? Max rpm at full throttle?
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

They sent a 21 pitch after taking info about boat. Would over rev at 3/4 throttle. Then tried a 23 pitch loose about 400 to 500 off of the bottom of the recommended rpm. Just spun the motor by hand with the plugs out. Heard valves or something clanking. So problably gonna send it in. The motor has never run right from the start. Wish my 99 yamaha saltwater II 150 was still good. Could go 36 mile on 6 gals and get 6000 lbs on step with it.