Thread: Fishing Guides in Kenai or Copper River

Default Fishing Guides in Kenai or Copper River

Hello! We will be traveling to Alaska August 11-24. My father-inlaw- who is coming with us is an avid fisherman, so we want to give him a great experience!

Two places that have been reccomended for (salmon) fishing at that time are Copper River near Glenallen, and the Kenai Peninsula. Most people have suggested the later, would everyone here agree with that also?

Any reccomendations on a guide? He slightly prefers river fishing over ocean, but I am sure would not be picky. We are landing in ANC August 11 around 5pm. I wouldn't mind driving down to Kenai for a guide on August 12, so maybe somewhere closer on the peninsula (Copper Landing maybe or Sodoltna)

Does anyone have a reccomendation on a guide, there are so many! There would be four of us.

Also, He might be better off with a half-day adventure (I assume that rules out halibut and salmon, so maybe we will focus just on salmon), any reccomendations on guides given that, on salmon in Kenai (or Copper RIver), trips that are half day in length (4-6 hours?)

THanks!!!!

Default Stick with the Anchorage area

The Copper river does not support rod and reel fishing. The Klutina along the Richardson Highway, as wella s the Gulkana River do. In August the fishing can become fabulous for sockeye and very little traffic. It is a beautiful part of the state.

That said, there are WAY more opportunities to catch salmon around Anchorage. The Mat-SU valley streams will have silvers and pink salmon. The Seward bay will be loaded, Ship Creek in Anchorage, Bird Creek south of Anchorage toward Seward will have pinks and Silvers. The same can be said for the flowing waters on the Kenai Peninsula.

You ABSOLUTELY CAN AND SHOULD fish halibut and salmon off the Kenai Peninsula.

I am jealous!

REPORT back about your trip.

Default The Kenai

Your timing should be very good for fishing on the Kenai peninsula. The traditional peak of the "first run" of coho is around the 15th of August. With everything running late this year, I also suspect that the sockeye may still be in the lower Kenai, certainly the middle and upper and the Russian should be on fire!

This is also a pink year for most area streams and rivers, and the middle of August is the peak time for that as well.

In addition, the trout/dolly varden fishing will be ramping up to full pace in August as they begin their annual feast on salmon eggs.

So, when you consider this and the previous post, you will find that even with 18 hours of daylight, there won't be enough time to do it all.... You'll have to plan another trip

It is generally not difficult to find a guide in August for river charters or saltwater charters (i.e. halibut or salmon trolling or ???). There is definitely an abundance though. My suggestion is to visit some web sites, talk to people, ask for references. And then it is still a difficult choice, but the good news is that, though there may be some sour apples, the majority of the guides and charters run a pretty tight ship.

Good luck in your planning and on your trip.

Thanks for the info! My father-in-law (and us of course!) are looking forward to this already! I think we will do this the first day of the trip (August 12, after arriving at ANC the evening of August 11). Then we will head into interior Alaska, but save time near the end of the trip before our return (August 24) for another visit to Kenai. Thanks for all of your help!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    Your timing should be very good for fishing on the Kenai peninsula. The traditional peak of the "first run" of coho is around the 15th of August. With everything running late this year, I also suspect that the sockeye may still be in the lower Kenai, certainly the middle and upper and the Russian should be on fire!

This is also a pink year for most area streams and rivers, and the middle of August is the peak time for that as well.

In addition, the trout/dolly varden fishing will be ramping up to full pace in August as they begin their annual feast on salmon eggs.

So, when you consider this and the previous post, you will find that even with 18 hours of daylight, there won't be enough time to do it all.... You'll have to plan another trip

It is generally not difficult to find a guide in August for river charters or saltwater charters (i.e. halibut or salmon trolling or ???). There is definitely an abundance though. My suggestion is to visit some web sites, talk to people, ask for references. And then it is still a difficult choice, but the good news is that, though there may be some sour apples, the majority of the guides and charters run a pretty tight ship.

Good luck in your planning and on your trip.

I know middle to late July is at the end of the King run, but can you fish for kings still on the Gulkana and where is a good area or spot?