Thread: Working Up Loads For The 338 Lapua

Default Working Up Loads For The 338 Lapua

I just recieved my 338 Lapua that I had built on a Rem 700 action, with an ABS carbon wrap barrel that is 31" long including the brake, set up with a Seekins Detachable box magazines to take a 3.9" COAL, set in a Rem. Sendero stock. I originaly wanted to shoot the 325 grain Wildcat rebated boatail bullet, but it will not stabilize in the 10 twist of my barrel. They were key holeing even with velocity over 2700 FPS. Today I tried some 250 grain SMK bullets with 98 grains of H-1000 they averaged 3189 FPS with a SD of 11 FPS and 95 grains of Reloader-25 averaged 3197 FPS with a SD of 9. I also tried 98 grains of Retumbo and this load averaged 3010 FPS but seemed a little mild in the pressure department and di not shoot nearly as acurately as the other 2 powders did.

Next I moved back to shoot a group with both loads to 330 yards according to my lazer range finder. I only had 2 of the H-1000 loads and the 2 shots went .634 inchs. The 95 grain load of Reloader-25 with 3 shots went into a group of 1.125 inchs with the first 2 into .424 inchs

I was very pleased with this performance both in the velocity and accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by jwp500 View Post
    I just recieved my 338 Lapua that I had built on a Rem 700 action, with an ABS carbon wrap barrel that is 31" long including the brake, set up with a Seekins Detachable box magazines to take a 3.9" COAL, set in a Rem. Sendero stock. I originaly wanted to shoot the 325 grain Wildcat rebated boatail bullet, but it will not stabilize in the 10 twist of my barrel. They were key holeing even with velocity over 2700 FPS. Today I tried some 250 grain SMK bullets with 98 grains of H-1000 they averaged 3189 FPS with a SD of 11 FPS and 95 grains of Reloader-25 averaged 3197 FPS with a SD of 9. I also tried 98 grains of Retumbo and this load averaged 3010 FPS but seemed a little mild in the pressure department and di not shoot nearly as acurately as the other 2 powders did.

Next I moved back to shoot a group with both loads to 330 yards according to my lazer range finder. I only had 2 of the H-1000 loads and the 2 shots went .634 inchs. The 95 grain load of Reloader-25 with 3 shots went into a group of 1.125 inchs with the first 2 into .424 inchs

I was very pleased with this performance both in the velocity and accuracy

I would keep trying the Retumbo, It has proven it's self in these big capacity cases in the .338's. I would work with it until I saw pressure signs. Are you shooting off of a lead sled?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I would keep trying the Retumbo, It has proven it's self in these big capacity cases in the .338's. I would work with it until I saw pressure signs. Are you shooting off of a lead sled?
    I'm not going to work a whole lot with these 250 grainers, I hope to work up a good load with the 300 grain SMK and that will be my bullet, since I built this rifle to shoot out to 2K
    I bought the only box of 250 grain 338 bullets within a reasonable driving distance just to make sure that the rifle would shoot well, once the 300 SMKs arreive that is where I will concentrate. I only had 50 of the 250 and I am going to shoot the rest at a longer distance using the H-1000 load.

No I am not shoot from a lead sled, I am shooting from my shoulder with a front and rear bag set up using the back of my truck tool box for a rest with a Nightforce NXS 5.5X22X50 scope.

Lapua factory .338 LM with 250 Scenars hit 2970 out of the muzzle. With VN 570 and a 300 SMK, max load per the data will get you 2700.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    Lapua factory .338 LM with 250 Scenars hit 2970 out of the muzzle. With VN 570 and a 300 SMK, max load per the data will get you 2700.
    Yep, but he's got a 31" tube less the break. He should see a mite more FPS with that length barrel.

This must be his brush gun for quick snap shooting.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson