Thread: The're here, in Seward.

Default The're here, in Seward.

Silvers -Pony Cove, Chival Narrows, Ailiak Bay, Day Harbor - Come and get um!!

They are a little skinny but they are salmon none the less....

I would imagine that halibut this year would be frustrating to private boaters. Many of the charters are fishing close to home to save fuel. This means less fish for the private guys....
    The local areas are getting fished heavily. Cloudy Cape out west seems to be holding a million chickens this year.

We are still running to Montague daily until the dogfish show up. Fishing has been a little spotty at the island but being there everyday helps.

To go all the over in a private boat for a day trip could be an expensive trip, with 5 dollar a gallon gas at the fuel dock. I would think if you could stay over for the night and have two days of prospecting on a private boat you would find some quality fishing.

If you do head over to the island, give the boats already fishing a little breathing room. Fishing is spotty over there and there is plenty of space. If you give the other boats at least 1/2 of a mile behind of 1/3 along side, everyone catches more fish in the long run.

Good luck and follow the boat that won the halibut tournament.....

Thanks for the report... I will be at the island tomorrow. I'm bringing my silver gear just incase.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Thanks for the update Captain

Where is Cloudy Cape?

I really appreciate the news that the Silvers are in. That goes a long way towards helping me figure out what to do next weekend.

Are the cove's you mentioned considered in the bay where the limit is 6? If not where does the bay start? Thanks for the help!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Are the cove's you mentioned considered in the bay where the limit is 6? If not where does the bay start? Thanks for the help!
    Good question. You guys should all know that enforcement in Seward is more strict than any other port in Alaska. If you break the law, it is highly likely that you will get caught.

Pony Cove and Cheval Narrows are within Ressurection Bay. Day harbor and Ailiak Bay are not.
    The limit is 3 silvers outside the bay or 6 silvers inside the bay. With that said, it is my understanding that you MAY keep three silvers and three pinks outside the boat for a total of six salmon.

Lingcod inside Ressurection Bay is Closed and possesion of any lingcod while fishing inside the bay is a violation of the law. So if you want to catch both,

Catch your 3 salmon inside the bay and then fish outside for bottom fish and do not fish again on the way home.

It looks like the most common violations that private boaters are getting popped for is fishing more rods than there are fishermen on the boat.

The fisheries enforcement guys have several boats and stabilized binoculars so that can see how many rods are out at a log distance.

It is best to just play by the rules in Seward. I am speaking from thousands of dollars worth of experience

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    The boundry line, as I remember, is from Aialik Cape to Cape Resurrection. Inside this area is considered the Derby area and the 6 per day limit applies (confirm your regs) Pony Cove and Cheval Narrows are within the boundry. Check the 2008 pictures for some samples of the available fish.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

I always planned it so that I'd catch 3 silvers inside the bay, head outside for halibut, and then back inside to pick up my remaining 3 silvers. Of course if I caught a ling outside the bay then I couldn't fish inside the bay on the way home.