Thread: first try at ceviche

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default first try at ceviche

whipped up my very first batch of ceviche this evening. i threw together 1 tomato, two jalapenos deseeded, small bunch of cilantro, half of a large red onion, four fresh garlic cloves minced, some oregano, salt n peppa, and a nice yelloweye fillet we caught over memorial weekend. added lemon juice about a third of the way up the mixing bowl. cant wait to try it out tomorrow.

Sounds great! I've never made it with Alaskan fish (yet), but we used spotted bay bass down in Mexico to make ceviche and it was awesome!

Sounds delicious! How long do you have to let it sit in the juice before eating? Let us know how it was.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default mmm!!

its pretty good. i marinated it overnight. i could have cut the chunks a bit smaller, they are about dice size and a little chewy. my buddy says razor clams make a really good ceviche. ill have to try that next. its really an explosion of taste with the lemon, cilantro and jalapenos.

Default Sounds

GOOD! Sometimes we use half lemon and half lime. Other times we use all lime (like they do in Mexico), and will also squeeze a little orange in there too. If you are in a hurry and your fish is cut up into smaller chunks it can be done in 5 hours or so. Try using shrimp sometime or even combo is really good. Got hooked on it in Mexico and Central America and can't stop making it now!

Quote Originally Posted by AKpegleg View Post
    GOOD! Other times we use all lime (like they do in Mexico), and will also squeeze a little orange in there too.
    We've always used all lime, but that splash of orange sounds awesome! Thanks for the idea!

I usually use just lime juice, Halibut ceveche is great!

Default Octopus is good, too

If you ever get an octopus while you're out fishing or exploring a tidal pool, you might want to try that for your ceviche. We used to get them all the time on the longliners and the Mexican crew members always made ceviche out of them. Really excellent. Octopus is good a lot of ways, including sushi (California rolls), or cooked into tacos.

Default till flaky

[QUOTE=spoiled one;298476]Sounds delicious! How long do you have to let it sit in the juice before eating? Let us know how it was.[/QUOTE

mix it up and watch the meat texture... It's done when it's flaky just like grilling or baking...

Quote Originally Posted by akriverrat View Post
    whipped up my very first batch of ceviche this evening. i threw together 1 tomato, two jalapenos deseeded, small bunch of cilantro, half of a large red onion, four fresh garlic cloves minced, some oregano, salt n peppa, and a nice yelloweye fillet we caught over memorial weekend. added lemon juice about a third of the way up the mixing bowl. cant wait to try it out tomorrow.
    We've done this with Halibut and it's delicious!

Smile

Try using Key limes instead of Lemons. You will be amazed.

Rose and I made some about 2 weeks ago and it was awesome! Before eating we added some avocado.

We put a layer of nachos on a baking pan and melted some cheese on top.

We ate the ceviche just like a salsa on top of the corn nacho chips.

Yummy!
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Limes and lemons seem to be the most popular but I like to use some of that, but also throw in a grapefruit and an orange or two along with chopped tomatoes and some cilantro and roasted peppers. Made some with halibut the other night and it got eaten darn quick.

I typically make ceviche for my wife's birthday and I usually use halibut and also sea scallop if they are in decent shape. Fresh rockfish, flounder or greenling would work fine. If I can't get good halibut I use tuna. Notice that any of those things can be eaten raw. With this in mind I like to think of the dish not as cured fish so much as raw fish with an insurance policy. I usually use red onion, red and yellow peppers, snow peas, chives, and sometimes jalapeņo. Slice everything (esp fish) as thin as you possibly can and this can be really quick to make. I squeeze lime juice over the onion and leave it alone for 10 minutes so it doesn't dominate everything. Any of the above fish can be added for even just a few minutes (not more than 20) depending on what texture you like, followed by everything else. It doesn't have to be swimming in lime juice; just so you can see that it is acting on the fish. Once you're satisfied with the flavor, drain off the extra juice. Now if you are using the traditional cod or maybe lingcod, that is an overnight cure and don't be stingy.