Thread: MD 70 pre-64

Default MD 70 pre-64

How many different featherweights were made?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cabin View Post
    How many different featherweights were made?

Thanks.
    Only one Winchester pre-64 model 70 feather weight. They were made in just about every caliber with standard 22" and with carbine length barrels and English style stocks (straight grip) and I've seen one full length mannlicher style stock. And possible other special orders. All actions are the same (the bolt grasping ball is hollow after the introduction of the featherweight) the stock, the barrel, the bottom metal and the sights were different from the standard rifle.

They were introduced in 1952 and continued until 1963.

How many different feather weight M70's did you think were made?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

There is of course the Super Grade FW also. Both grades of standard and Super Grade can be found with Low cheek pieces. and raised Monte Carlo. Now for the real shocker, they are seen with clover leaf tangs and solid bolt knobs.

The special order make up a further three different classes. The rarest of these I've seen is a Super Grade FW made in 7X57 in a pre war serial number range (below 66,xxx). That rifle is in a fellow mod 70 collectors collection here in Alaska. This rifle was built for a well known Doctor in S.E. Alaska, this fellow was a hunting buddy of JACK O'CONNOR. He had a fabulous collection of special order WINCHESTER Mod-70's. All the paper work with these rifles. This estate auction occurred in the mid 70's.

I can find no record either in Whittaker or in Rule's book of chamberings in the 7.65 or the 9mm nor in the .35 REM for the feather weight. That does not mean they were never made. Just never catalogued.

What I have never seen on any FW is a forged front sight ramp. Unlike all the carbines will have forged ramps. (if they don't, run away).

The bad part of this mess, there are no factory records for the pre-64 model 70's. That's another reason I feel no other model is faked so often.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Al,

So there were F/W's made before WWII or specifically before 1952?

And the clover leaf tang of the M54 was on the early M70's but I didn't know some made there way into later production.

I never say Winchester never made any particular configuration, I've seen too many odd balls. I've never seen a F/W with a pre-war or transition safety, I've never seen a F/W with a solid bolt and I've never seen a F/W with a clover leaf tang. There are lots of guns I haven't seen.

My favorites would be that transition safety, and I love a clover leaf tang but all I've seen had the pre-war reverse safety. I'd take one of those if it was in a 7x57.

I have owned a standard rifle in 358 Winchester. It was real.
    I have owned a 7.65 x 53 with a clover leaf tang and pre war safety. it was real.
    I have owned a F/W in 264 WM (geez) and all were sold as the gem they were. The super grades apparently allowed many options when ordering, I've seen them in many odd configurations. The M-70 does make for a great collectable gun.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Al,

So there were F/W's made before WWII or specifically before 1952?

And the clover leaf tang of the M54 was on the early M70's but I didn't know some made there way into later production.

I never say Winchester never made any particular configuration, I've seen too many odd balls. I've never seen a F/W with a pre-war or transition safety, I've never seen a F/W with a solid bolt and I've never seen a F/W with a clover leaf tang. There are lots of guns I haven't seen.

My favorites would be that transition safety, and I love a clover leaf tang but all I've seen had the pre-war reverse safety. I'd take one of those if it was in a 7x57.

I have owned a standard rifle in 358 Winchester. It was real.
    I have owned a 7.65 x 53 with a clover leaf tang and pre war safety. it was real.
    I have owned a F/W in 264 WM (geez) and all were sold as the gem they were. The super grades apparently allowed many options when ordering, I've seen them in many odd configurations. The M-70 does make for a great collectable gun.
    Yep Murphy we see clover leaf tangs into the clean-up replacement receivers with the "G" prefix serial numbers after 1964. The pre-war safeties) include the TILLDON safety used for rifles that were pre and post war scope use. They were made to use with the early shroud. In fact the later style safety from WINCHESTER (flat shroud) is a copy of the TILLDON.

The hollow bolt knob was a later feature and should have only been found on bolt handles in the 1950's (late). but solid head are seen as late as 1961-63. I have one such late standard length in my collection made in 62-63.

How about factory M-70 action that was made in the mid-50's solid bolt head, no stripper slot, clover leaf tang. That has not been drilled and taped in the rear bridge? Possible? Do you have room in your E- mail?
    I can send you pictures of just this sort of rifle. This one is in .375 H&H. It is a total special order rifle with a super grade stock with standard grade checkering. Solid pad (correct) super grade swivels, original WINCHESTER factory sling. Late shroud. I have this rifle in my collection. The floor plate is not stamped SUPER GRADE.

When we make hard core statements about catalogs rifles, we always tend to forget the model-70 had big sales in Canada and other countries around the world. We think of only in America. All most all of the 9mm went south of the states, just like the 7.65's.

As to the FW being built prior to 1952, I really doubt it, WINCHESTER using pre-war actions to build FW's on? Heck yes! You know the only reason the 66,700 # number sticks in people's heads is because the scope mount people put it in our heads.

Yep the old M-70's are my favorite to collect, just don't let an Oberndorf Mauser get between me and the 70. I'm easily led astray. Much better action with skill levels in building far and away better than anything our beloved WINCHESTER ever built.( I know, I'll probably smoke a toad in hell with that statement.)
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Only one Winchester pre-64 model 70 feather weight. They were made in just about every caliber with standard 22" and with carbine length barrels and English style stocks (straight grip) and I've seen one full length mannlicher style stock. And possible other special orders. All actions are the same (the bolt grasping ball is hollow after the introduction of the featherweight) the stock, the barrel, the bottom metal and the sights were different from the standard rifle.

They were introduced in 1952 and continued until 1963.

How many different feather weight M70's did you think were made?
    Thanks...I was looking for 30-06 info and did not know the FW came in so many CAL.

What i want to ask is ,how many pre 64 had op that were sold at stores and not sp order from WIN.?

There were around 600,000 made. Your guess is as good as any, as to how many were special order. THERE ARE NO FACTORY RECORDS. Even the Curator of the WINCHESTER museum at Cody can not give you an answer to that question.