Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rem Mountain Rifle Stock Failure. Photos

Default Rem Mountain Rifle Stock Failure. Photos

This is a 30-06 M-700 Remington Titanium Mountain Rifle. An $1100 rifle!

This stock failure looks like it slide down a hill. NOPE....

Maybe crushed in a bear attack..... Nope....

It was making cracking and crunching sounds around the action so I flexed it with my hands and it broke in two !!!!!

It sheared off the trigger while busting as well!!!!!
    One local therory is that I weakened it by firing it from a Lead Sled a few too many times last week.....***..

Can you believe this????

And of course since I had the rifle coated and the forearm glass bedded, it voided any warranty.

Man, am I steamed......!!!!!

Anyone know where I can find a good stock (blind Mag) for this thing without going broke?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Those were suppose to be a quality stock, above factory tupperware.

Was the bedding done right?

Default Remington Warranty?

From the Remington catalog, looks like that's a Bell & Carlson stock.

The Bell & Carlson website or catalog doesn't include prices, but for "The ultimate in synthetic gunstocks", they gotta be spendy.

I'd be inclined to give Remington or B&C a chance to make good on their gear. If they don't, a lot of folks here might be interested.

Are you sure it is a B&C????
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Was the bedding done right?
    It was just the barrel channel and under the front ring of the action.
    The accuracy of the rifle was going down-hill fast and I was trying to catch up with it.

All of the new bedding work was done inches ahead of the place where is broke. It was making this funny noise like Rice Crispies in milk after every shot, before I bedded it. I thought it was the recoil lug area.

I never got to fire it with the new bedding.

So this morning was going to replace the recoil pad.... I had my ear to the stock and noticed that it was making the noise again if I flexed the stock around with my hands.
    I gave it a twist with one hand on the forearm and the other on the buttstock. Then ccccc,,,CRACK,,, and it failed by the magazine area.

Originally the two parts were being held together by the exterior web of fiberglass. By the time I removed the action and the sling swivels, plus cussing to high heaven, the two pieces came apart even more.

The insides are some sort of substance with the consistency of a sugar cracker. (My wife says charcol brickette) Then there is a skin layer of fiberglass mesh. That is covered with the external testured coating.

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Are you sure it is a B&C????
    I'm pretty sure all of Remington's "higher quality" stocks are B&C.

Hope Remington is aware of this and the other issues you guys who forked out big cash for a "mountain gun", as far as I can tell there are way too many turkeys and I am very glad I've stuck with my old tried and true savage tactical.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by akav8r View Post
    I'm pretty sure all of Remington's "higher quality" stocks are B&C.
    WOW!!! I have used only B&C Metalist stocks on all of my custom builds and no problem, but of course the metalist has a metal support in the stock. I sure hope Remington discovers the problem before to many guys buy one.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I would send it back to remington. I had a problem with one once. They replaced it, no questions asked and part of it may have been my own fault. I explained that to them in an attached letter. No charge and the turn around was quicker than expected.

+10!! Had a friend broke the grip cap and chipped the stock on his BDL(brand new) while shooting off a target rest. I told him to send it in to Remington to see what happens. If they fixed the original stock you can't tell the damage or they may have just replaced the stock with a new one. Doesn't matter cause it was FREE. SEND IT IN!

til later

Quote Originally Posted by 300S&W View Post
    +10!! Had a friend broke the grip cap and chipped the stock on his BDL(brand new) while shooting off a target rest. I told him to send it in to Remington to see what happens. If they fixed the original stock you can't tell the damage or they may have just replaced the stock with a new one. Doesn't matter cause it was FREE. SEND IT IN!

til later
    Just don't be surpriced if they squawk about the bedding job. It is after all, modification to the factory work. I have put on a lot of the B&C stocks with no complaints from folks. They are not anywhere near the McMillan stocks in Quality. And they don't cost as much either (B&C).

Yes Sir, send it back to Remington, just don't be surpriced if they don't do it for free.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Remington response:

Float Pilot,

Who knows where this will lead, but below are highlights from Remington's initial response to your rifle stock problem. I replied with your web page info, but they're interested in contacting you. Contact them with Question Reference number and Incident number.
    Best of luck.

Dwight
    Eagle River

Subject: Remington Mountain Rifle Stock Failure - posted in Alaska [Incident: 080705-000050]
    Date: July 9, 2008 10:09:30 AM AKDT
    Reply-To: info@remington.com

Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support
    center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

Subject
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Remington Mountain Rifle Stock Failure - posted in Alaska
    Discussion Thread
    Response (Daniel) - 07/09/2008 02:09 PM
    Dwight,

I cannot get in touch with the gentleman who posted the failure because I am not a member. If you would be so inclined I would greatly appreciate any information you could get me in order to contact him and try to determine what may have happened and go about figuring out what we can do to get his rifle back up and running. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and i sincerely hope we can coordinate a way to get him fixed up.

Customer (Dwight) - 07/05/2008 09:51 PM
    Good chance to make good on your gear. Posted on outdoors forum in Alaska by owner:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=34207

Question Reference #080705-000050
    Product Level 1: Firearms
    Date Created: 07/05/2008 09:51 PM
    Last Updated: 07/09/2008 02:09 PM

-------------------------------------------------------------
    We hope that this information will be helpful to you. If we
    can be of further assistance, please contact us at
    1-800-243-9700, M-F, 9am-5pm EST.
    Remington Arms Co. -- America's Oldest Gunmaker
    870 Remington Drive, Madison, NC 27025
    1-800-243-9700 or 1-336-548-8700--FAX: 1-336-548-7801
    Visit us in Remington Country at http://www.remington.com/
    REMEMBER, FIREARMS SAFETY DEPENDS ON YOU!
    Whether you are a beginner or an advanced user,
    our new Safety Section is a must for everyone.
    http://www.remington.com/safety

Thanks, I also have a trouble-call in with them and sent them photos.

I will let you know how it works out.

All I need to do is buy a new stock...
    Well ,,, and a trigger.

Anyone have any ideas about a good replacement stock? I would not mind wood if anyone makes one for this style....

Or I can buy a B&C, glass bed it and get it up and going....

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Anyone have any ideas about a good replacement stock? I would not mind wood if anyone makes one for this style....
    Oooooh a McMillan Edge Fill is coming to mind, and in your choice of custom swirled colors to boot! Only downside is you wont have it for about 25 weeks if you ordered it today. Oh and then theres the whole $449 dollar thing too.....grin

If you want the best, (no matter who you decide is the best) It's best to box it up and send it out to them to do the work. If it was mine I would send it out to Mcmillan and pays your money and wait. You will never be sorry.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Try stockysstocks.com or google it. They sell BC that I couldn't find at other dealers. I wanted a light weight stock for my BDL 7MM but couldn't affoed a McMillan. They have BC mountain rifle stocks but made for BDLs and ADLs for aorund $240.00. They have 1 for your mountain rifle weighs about 22-24oz.

The guy from Remington got back with me... He is looking up the price. He said that this stock was a Bell and Carlson.

He said I could upgrade it to the floorplate model with a bedding block HS Precision stock. But I would have to buy more parts.

I have a block bedded M-700 XCR tactical right now and I am not all that excited about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    The guy from Remington got back with me... He is looking up the price. He said that this stock was a Bell and Carlson.

He said I could upgrade it to the floorplate model with a bedding block HS Precision stock. But I would have to buy more parts.

I have a block bedded M-700 XCR tactical right now and I am not all that excited about it.

I like bedding blocks. (they have a place) I don't like HS Precision anything.

So they (Remington), are not replacing it for free?????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast