Thread: Klutina Fishing

Default Klutina Fishing

How is the fishing coming along in the Copper River Basin? I am looking to head up the Klutina for some fishing; I have not been there since I was kid. I can remember most of the tackle and techniques my father used to catch kings, but I can not remember the pound of test he used. It seems to me he used some form of Spider Wire. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Default Klutina

For fishing for King on the Kluntia River I use at least a 65 lbs braid. The weight of the fish + the current add quite the pressure on the line.

Fishing on the Klutina was slow this past weekend. We got our fish, but it took some time. We chased Sockeye, but I did see the guides coming back with Kings. The Kings all looked pretty dark to me and the meat looked pretty light colored. I use 100 pound Ugly Braid for Kings down there just in case the monster gets on and heads for the current. For Sockeye, I use a 7' rod with 15 pound mono. I put the brakes on the Sockeye right away though and never have a problem bringing them in.

Default Use the Force!

Quote Originally Posted by FishingBum View Post
    For fishing for King on the Kluntia River I use at least a 65 lbs braid. The weight of the fish + the current add quite the pressure on the line.

I use 20lb mono, and the power of the force.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Thanks soo much for the help.

Default Force

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    I use 20lb mono, and the power of the force.
    Sorry Jedi no time for me to use the force that is why I use 65 lbs powerpro. lol

Default Klutina

Guides down there were saying that the slow fishing happens every 5th year. What do you guys think of that? I see the fish counts are finally up down on the Copper, hopefully most of those fish are headed for Klutina. It was picking up a little right when I left last Wednesday, I lost or foul hooked about 15 in 3 hours of fishing.

Fish On!
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Default Klutina Fishing

I am going to be going by the Klutina on wednesday or thursday of this week, is it worth it to bring my fly rod for reds or is the run over?

I would bring it. It was spotty but I was catching them the other day.

Default Bring It!

I stopped there today for about an hour on the way home from Valdez. I didn't see anything landed or hook into any fish. I was talking to some people that have been down there for quite a while and they all said it was extremely slow fishing. That big slug of fish should hit there in another week or two, it should get better. I would wet a line if your in no hurry to get somewhere, its always worth a shot. Good Luck!

Fish On!
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Default Klutina

Thanks for the advice. Are there any good spots (that you are willing to reveal) close to the road on the Klutina? Also, is the technique the same for reds on the Klutina as the technique for reds on the Kenai? Thanks.