Thread: Ruger .375 Alaskan Data...

Default Ruger .375 Alaskan Data...

I went out this morning and fired off a few variations in my Ruger .375 Alaskan, 20" barrel. Velocity's were measured with a Chrony Alpha Master chronograph. All shooting was off a sand bag at 100 yards on (6) power.

Conditions at the time of testing was 96 degrees, 26% humidity, 29.86 barometer pressure at 1550 feet above sea level, calm wind. Rifle was allowed to cool down and bore was cleaned after the ninth shot.

Cases are once fired from my rifle, originally Hornady 270gr spire point cartridges.

Case preparation:

Neck turned for concentricity, .013 wall thickness.
    Full length re-sizing with Hornady die set.
    Primer pocket uniforming.
    Flash hole deburring.
    Case trimmed length set at 2.575

All charges were measured by hand with a Dillon digital scale. All groups were three shots for comparison.

Nosler Partition 260 grain ogive set at .015 off of rifling, OCL 3.245

Nosler Accubond 260 grain set at OCL 3.340, Ogive is .177 off of rifling, bullet to long to set with ogive measurement and still fit in mag well so S.A.A.M.I. OCL measurement used as a starting point.

Hornady production ammo is measured at OCL 3.321. Ogive measured at .059 off of rifling.

Alliant Reloder 15 and Federal 215 primers used in all hand loads.

Nosler Partition 260gr:

72.0gr 2765fps avg. 64fps spread 1.83" group
    73.5gr 2806fps avg. 48fps spread 1.26" group
    75.0gr 2872fps avg. 67fps spread 1.74" group

Nosler Accubond 260gr:

72.0gr 2749fps avg. 10fps spread 1.54" group
    73.5gr 2840fps avg. 39fps spread 0.72" group winner!
    75.0gr 2880fps avg. 66fps spread 1.00" group

Hornady Spire 270gr Production:
    Charge unknown, 2858fps avg. 28fps spread 3.14" group

The Hornady production ammo has shot better in the past when I was breaking in this riffle and collecting brass. However, todays result are typical and the reason that I'm reloading to improve accuracy. I was quite surprised at how tight the spread in Hornady velocity is and how wide mine is even though I measured each charge to the tenth on a digital scale.

My next step is to vary the ogive distance with the Nosler Partitions in an attempt to improve it's accuracy. The Nosler Accubond is the obvious winner in this comparison.

I'm planning a hunt in area 17 with my brother the second week of September, time is ticking down fast. I'll post some more data in a few weeks.
    Last edited by marshall; 07-05-2008 at 12:19. Reason: typo

I was shooting 76.0 grains of RL-15 in my Ruger Alaskan with 270 grain TSXs and 215M primers. The groups were always right around an inch and were easy shooters. I never tried Noslers in it.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Thanks Kay9Cop,

I like the look of the expanded Barnes bullet.

Does it cause any unusual copper fouling?

What length are you setting your rounds up at?

I haven't pushed the charges up to 76.0 yet. 75.0 has been better than light charges but not as good as middle loads in both of my samples so far.

I had them seated to 3.360". I never noticed any copper build up, but I use KG-12 after every range session to remove copper.

I've since sold the .375 Ruger and built a custom .458 Win Mag. I regret selling the Alaskan almost every time I pull out the .458. I think the Ruger Alaskan is probably one of the best all around guns for up here, with the exception of carrying it up the mountains. I've got my sights set now on a a Kimber Montana in .338 Win Mag to try out as a good all around gun to include carrying it goat and sheep hunting.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Thanks Kay9Cop,

The Partitions won't chamber at that length, I'll measure some up to my rifle soon. I was at Cabela's today and looked on the shelf, they were out of 270gr Barnes bullets. If they would have had them they would be in my shop getting set up for a range session.

If I wasn't such an Alaska nut and a Ruger fan I wouldn't have fallen into the catchy marketing and would have gone the way of the .338 too, that's my brothers choice. He gets a Moose and Caribou every year and once a Brown that got a bit frisky in camp. A black was ramming his back door last month and fell victim to a 250gr Partition shot from his .338 too. He also has nine sheep's over his life time growing up in Alaska. He uses that old Remington 700 for everything and it never fails him.

Good luck with the Kimber in .338, I'm sure it will be a great all purpose Alaska rifle.
    Last edited by marshall; 07-06-2008 at 18:14. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    I went out this morning and fired off a few variations in my Ruger .375 Alaskan, 20" barrel. Velocity's were measured with a Chrony Alpha Master chronograph. All shooting was off a sand bag at 100 yards on (6) power.

Conditions at the time of testing was 96 degrees, 26% humidity, 29.86 barometer pressure at 1550 feet above sea level, calm wind. Rifle was allowed to cool down and bore was cleaned after the ninth shot.

Cases are once fired from my rifle, originally Hornady 270gr spire point cartridges.

Case preparation:

Neck turned for concentricity, .013 wall thickness.
    Full length re-sizing with Hornady die set.
    Primer pocket uniforming.
    Flash hole deburring.
    Case trimmed length set at 2.575

All charges were measured by hand with a Dillon digital scale. All groups were three shots for comparison.

Nosler Partition 260 grain ogive set at .015 off of rifling, OCL 3.245

Nosler Accubond 260 grain set at OCL 3.340, Ogive is .177 off of rifling, bullet to long to set with ogive measurement and still fit in mag well so S.A.A.M.I. OCL measurement used as a starting point.

Hornady production ammo is measured at OCL 3.321. Ogive measured at .059 off of rifling.

Nosler Partition 260gr:

Nosler Accubond 260gr:

The Hornady production ammo has shot better in the past when I was breaking in this riffle and collecting brass. However, todays result are typical and the reason that I'm reloading to improve accuracy. I was quite surprised at how tight the spread in Hornady velocity is and how wide mine is even though I measured each charge to the tenth on a digital scale.

My next step is to vary the ogive distance with the Nosler Partitions in an attempt to improve it's accuracy. The Nosler Accubond is the obvious winner in this comparison.

I'm planning a hunt in area 17 with my brother the second week of September, time is ticking down fast. I'll post some more data in a few weeks.

A very nice write-up here but I have a couple of questions.

Neck turning does what for you?

Full length resizing does what? You seem to be after accuracy but you f/l size rather than neck size...hmmm.

You have very high ES and I guess SD from the chrony but want to adjust seating depth for ...accuracy. No comprendo?

As much as I like RL-15, I have found it to be a sorry performer where the case isn't full or very close to it. The 375 Ruger case is too big for this powder for the most consistant loads, except with the lightest bullets.

I pulled the bullets form the Hornady factory loads for the 270 and 300 grain bullets in the 375 Ruger. It appears to be Win (Olin) 760 powder and I think the 270 (from memory here) were loaded with about 78.5 grains and the 300's were loaded with 76 grains of it, for what that is worth. I still have my sample of the powder, I'll check later. I do not consider it to be good ammo. I shot three different rifles in this caliber about 300 rounds each. None shot inside an inch until I bedded my present black Alaskan model in a McMillan hunter style stock. The hands down winner bullet was the partition until I tried the Accubond. It was about a half inch with a bunch of H4350 powder. I also got the best velocity and accuracy with Vihta N550. I am trying RL-19 and it is promising. I have had a problem with my chronograph and waiting for a replacement this week to get back to shooting. There seems to be some demand for data for this caliber I guess I shoudl get going on it. huh?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Adjusting seating depth is what I do for accuracy also. Once you get the velocity you want then you can adjust the seating depth to get the groups you want.

This is recommended for Barnes bullets and also GS custom bullets.

SD and ES may not matter so much if your getting the groups you like. The groups may be smaller with the smaller (more desirable)sd and es but not always.

Powder volume in the case will make more of a difference than tenths of a grain will. Many bench rest sghooters do not even weigh the charges. They use a despenser that measures in volume.

So find a good powder combo you like and then adjust the seating depth for fine tuning.

Hi Murphy,

I've been on vacation, just got a chance to read your reply.

Yes I would like better accuracy. The Hornady stuff doesn't shoot very nice groups. I realize I will most likely shoot my Moose at a range less than 150 yards and the kill zone is quite large.

I'm enjoying the time in the shop and the testing at the range. All of my loads so far have been better than the Hornady stuff and that feels pretty good.

Prior to this rifle I've only loaded for a .308 and my 40SW, 380, 45ACP, 45 Colt hand guns. All the hand gun stuff has been on a Dillon 550-B and I didn't spend much time at all on case prep and let the powder drop on it's own in it's progressive position. The powder dropped within .1 gr and was good enough for light practice stuff that my wife and I use to plink with.

I don't have 1/4 of your experience, that's obvious. I neck turned because my brass was thicker on one side. From what I've read uniformity in neck thickness allows the neck to be centered in the case when resized, this should allow for better alignment and accuracy. I turned them as little as possible to get uniformity.

Full length dies are all that I have for this round. Now that I've fired them with prepped brass I'm hoping that I can just run the die down far enough to resize the neck and not bottom it on the shell holder. The measurement right above the case head shows no expansion on the fired brass. I guess I'll find out soon.

ES and SD, yep I'm confused on that too. I took extra special care in making each round as close to identical as I could and the spread was making me shake my head.

Seating depth for accuracy, just a test keeping all other factors the same. My 308 shoots better at .005 off than .025 off. I don't want to run my .375 at .005 in the event I get some recoil jump, (not noted so far) I started at .015 and plan to test .010 and .020 with the 73.5gr load in the Accubond so I can put it to bed.

I wasn't happy with the Partition data that I gathered so I'm going to try them with different depths at the same powder levels to try and find a sweet spot for my rifle.

Other data I've read refers to full cases shooting better than partial loads, I was wondering what other powder to try. Thanks for the powder suggestions. As you know the RL-15 loads are not full cases. I have limited time so I've been going with book data.

I'll post my results as soon as I get a chance to shoot. I look forward to reading about your results soon.

As a note:
    I had my Chrony set 10 feet away because of the .375 blast. I may bring it in a couple of feet since I'm using a Vais muzzle break. Perhaps that will tighten the ES and SD?

Smile

Today I had an opportunity to test a few more loads. I wanted to re-test the 73.5gr load with the 260gr Accubond to confirm it was doing a good job in my rifle. I also tried a hotter load with that bullet.

I experimented with seating depth changes on the Partition. My original data was set with the ogive at .015 off of the rifling. Todays loads were .025 off of the rifling.

I also tried a group of 300gr Partitions to get things started on that bullet. Below is the original data followed by todays results.

Nosler Partition 260gr:

Nosler Accubond 260gr:

Nosler Accubond 260gr:

73.5gr 2834fps avg. 21fps spread 0.81" group winner!
    76.0gr 2883fps avg. 35fps spread 1.75" group, stiff bolt lift.

Nosler Partition 260gr:

73.5gr 2751fps avg. 30fps spread 1.72" group
    76.0gr 2869fps avg. 44fps spread 1.10" group

Nosler Partition 300gr:

71.0gr 2547fps avg. 16fps spread 1.25" group

Hornady Round Nose 300gr:

Charge unknown, 2635fps avg. 33fps spread 2.25" group

I should note that I switched to Federal 215M primers in an attempt to improve my loads extreme spread and standard deviation. It appears that the primers helped in that area but velocity dropped a small amount.

It's also interesting that 76.0gr of RL-15 gave a stiff bolt lift with the Accubond but not the Partition.

I plan on making a few more combinations with the 300gr Partition tonight for testing in the morning.

Sub MOA is about all I hope to get with this magnum and my 6X scope. Perhaps a better view of the target would net a tighter group but this is getting the job done for what I have planned next month.

Below is an interesting article about standard deviation. I have kept all my test loads to three shot groups because of the heat we have to deal with down here. If I ran a 5 shot string on every load it would take all day to get my rifle to cool between strings. It appears that the more shots in your string the better your SD will appear. If your happy with your groups and you have no signs of high pressure then don't worry...

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/ftp/...%20of%20SD.pdf

I think I'll settle on the 260gr Accubond load and work on the 300gr Partition. I'm hoping for 2600-2650fps with good accuracy.

Cheers,

Nosler Accubond 260gr:

Nosler Partition 260gr:

Nosler Partition 300gr:

I want to comment on your loads and make an observation.

RL-15 and the 260 grain Accubond.

You had:
    72.0 2749 fps
    73.5 2834, 2840 fps 85 to 90 fps gain for 1.5 grains
    75.0 2880 fps 46 fps gain for 1.5 grains
    76.0 2883 fps3 fps gain for 1 grain

Your maximum load is 74.0 grains, your velocity will be 2855fps, and it will be your most accurate load. Try it.

When we load in one grain (or whatever) steps, the velocity gain will be consistant until reaching the knee of the curve where an increase in pressure does not bring a comparable increase in velocity. The one grain increase from 75 to 76 brought virtually no increase in velocity, just pressure. We then want to go back to the last load that gave a "normal" velocity increase and that is about at 73.5 or 74.0 grains.

It isn't always this obvious but sometimes it is. I'll load a broad range of powder charges in one grain increments just to find the normal velocity jump. Also, it is a proven fact, from the rifle's view point, there is only one velocity where the barrel will humm, for a given bullet. It is that velocity that we try to find. If we are lucky, that velocity will be within the range of normal loads. It may be a max load or it may be a moderate load or it may be a velocity that is not attainable at normal pressures. It looks like your load for the AccuBond is about 2850 fps. Lucky you.

The max load for the partition is about 74.5 or 75.0 and will also be about 2850 fps. This makes those particular bullets quite useful. Others may be better or worse at higher or lower velocity.

Most people donot understand the purpoose of a chronograph as an aid to accuracy. The velocity is just data that must be studied and analyzed. After finding where a particular bullet humms. Then we can monkey with all sorts of other variables, one at a time, primarily seating depth, until we get it right.

Unfortunately, primers can mess with this data if they are inconsistant and they are inconsistant when they are too hot or too cold. It may take swithching brands to find the one that is best. Your data clearly shors that it wants the 260's at 2850 so load for that velocity then just use this primer then that, mag and standard, until things tighten up. Then take the best combo and adjust seating depth at will until those groups are best.

The crony is not just for velocity, it is to find consistant velocity first, then the most accurate velocity for the bullet/barrel como, then adjust.

Also just because you get a good group or two from a load doesn't mean it is a hummer, it could get really good.

All of this is subjective as are most opinions. It is less valid for heavy barreled small bore varmint/target rifles and more so with sporter barreled hunting rifles. A barrel is as good as it is, but it's best accuracy is at its preferred velocity with any particular bullet. If you keep that in mind and work to find that, you will find the sweet spot.

Thanks Murphy,

That's exactly the kind of input I need. Just so happens I was out in the shop loading up Accubonds and Partitions at 74.5 for a test in the morning. I also loaded up a few 300gr Partitions at 72gr, a 1gr increase.

I guess I got lucky and all ready prepared a batch close to your suggestions. I felt like all I had at the higher charge was more recoil so I decided to step it down. I didn't notice the drop in gain for a given increase, thanks again...

I was going to load up some H4350 tonight but, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop and Sportsman's Warehouse were all out, go figure...

Nosler has announced a 300gr Accubond. I called them to place an order but they claim it won't be available for release until the end of August. I'm headed up to Alaska on the 7th of September, it looks like I won't have time to work on the 300 Accubond load. The rep mentioned that it will have a BC of .485, I expected a bit more from that bullet shape and weight.

Thanks again, poke back for more results as I try H4350 at 83.0/260 and 80.2/300 later in the month.

Nosler Accubond 260gr:

74.5gr 2848fps avg. 18fps spread 0.98" group

Nosler Partition 260gr:

74.5gr 2831fps avg. 26fps spread 1.45" group

Nosler Partition 300gr:

72.0gr 2637fps avg. 32fps spread 2.50" group, stiff bolt lift!

This pretty much wears me out. Once I step it down to 74.0gr in the 260's and 71.5gr in the 300's I'm going to retire the RL-15 and start working with Hodgdon H4350. I hope I can find some prior to months end.

The Accubond continues to out perform the Partition in my rifle for what ever that's worth. Both are better than the production Hornady ammo that I shot to acquire my brass, new cases on the way.

All group info is for reference only. I'm sure several of you guys can out shoot me. A higher power level on my scope would probably help to shrink them as well. However all data is from one rifle, one shooter, same range, same 1.5-6x scope.

Cheers,

the 260 accubond behind 73 of rl 15 in my H&H gives me 2805 and .75 3 shot @100....GREAT LOAD...PS The 260 accubond at this velocity gives you 270 trajectories with over 2000 lbs at 500 yard...amazing what ballistis coefficient does

Sounds like a great load in your rifle.

I think Hornady was interested in getting more speed out of the Ruger for marketing purposes. Their loads are a bit faster than mine but they don't shoot well.

I'll be settling on 73.5 in the 260 Accubond and 71.5 with the 300 Partition unless H4350 shows better data before the September hunt. Those loads are easy shooters and have decent accuracy.

My hunt is planned for a Moose, that will be the 260 Accubond load. I may spring for a Brown Bear since I can pull it off without the cost of a guide. My brother is a resident and has 18 years hunting experience in Alaska. It gives me a little better feeling going out with him against a Brown. The 300 Partition will be the choice if I pull the trigger on a Brown.

I've been working a lot the past few weeks so I can take two weeks off in September for my Alaska trip / hunt. I've been meaning to get to the range but keeping the wife at bay has prevented that...

Today I was able to run a few more loads in my rifle. Further attempts with RL 15 and CCI 250's netted the most consistent loads to date. I also started with a few light H-4350 combinations, the results are as follows:

Nosler Accubond 260gr RL-15 CCI 250

74.0gr 2736fps avg. 3fps spread 1.0" group, SD 1.9

Nosler Accubond 260gr RL-15 Fed 215 M

74.0gr 2757fps avg. 18fps spread 1.4" group

Nosler Accubond 260gr H-4350 Fed 215 M

82.5gr 2698fps avg. 16fps spread 1.6" group

Nosler Partition 260gr H-4350 Fed 215 M

82.5gr 2722fps avg. 23fps spread 1.5" group

Nosler Partition 300gr RL-15 CCI 250

71.5gr 2577fps avg. 12fps spread .9" group

Nosler Partition 300gr RL-15 Fed 215 M

71.5gr 2543fps avg. 17fps spread 1.6" group

Nosler Partition 300gr H-4350Fed 215 M

79.5gr 2526fps avg. 26fps spread 1.0" group

All of todays velocities were a slower than projected based on previous testing.

The 300 grain partitions are shooting better than they have in previous tests. I'm trying to get them up to 2600fps without compromising accuracy.

The 260 grain Partitions don't like my rifle. They only group well at MAX loads and give a stiff bolt.

The 260 grain Accubonds have preformed well with a couple of combinations to date.

Todays weather was 20 degrees cooler with 59% humidity. In the past it's been hot and dry during my tests. Perhaps this has had an effect on velocities. If so Alaska's cold and rainy temps are going to throw me a curve.

My next test will bump up the H-4350 to 83.4 with CCI and Fed primers in the 260gr Accubond and 80.8 H-4350 in the 300gr Partitions with CCI and Fed primers.

Below is a re-post of previous testing with my rifle:

Alliant Reloder 15 and Federal 215 primers used.

Nosler Partition 260gr:

Nosler Accubond 260gr:

Nosler Accubond 260gr:

74.5gr 2848fps avg. 18fps spread 0.98" group

Nosler Partition 260gr:

74.5gr 2831fps avg. 26fps spread 1.45" group

Nosler Partition 300gr:

72.0gr 2637fps avg. 32fps spread 2.50" group, stiff bolt lift!

Alliant Reloder 15 and Federal 215 "M" primers used.

Nosler Accubond 260gr:

Nosler Partition 260gr:

Nosler Partition 300gr:

You're really wringing this thing out. Pretty cool. You're seeing the frustration of the tasks,too.

It takes a lot of time and a lot of shooting to become intimately familiar with your rifle and your load data. Eventually you will just come to expect certain things from different loads and you'll see trends without even doing the math. It is a feel for the way things will behave. This powder with this bullet, etc. When you burn a lot of each kind of powder you will find favorites because of this predictable behavior and you'll just instictively reach for a particular powder when you want to load a certain load.

The SD article is informative. I use SD from samples of 10 or more form the machine or calculate my own from promising loads with much higher samples. Regardless, lower ES's (and consequently SD's) are just better loads because predictability and repeatability is what we're after. I also agree with not weighing powder. A good powder measure will throw within .1 to .2 grains and that is good enough. He also brought out a good point about knowing how much velocity we get from 1 or .5 grain changes in the load. I want to be able to predict how much more or less velocity I will get from a change in charge weight. This, of course, varies from caliber to caliber and powder but is an important part of the understanding of each calibers load.

Keep in mind also that the best accuracy for any given rifle with any bullet is a product of the resonant velocity (the one velocity with this bullet will give best accuracy) and we can achieve that velocity with different powders. However different burning rates set up different oscillatations and harmonics if the burn rates are very different. H4350 and RL-15 are that different. The most accurate velocity for RL-15 will be different that the most accurate velocity of H4350. In the case with this 375 Ruger, either are more than good enough for what you want to do and either will give the velocity you're after.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks Murphy,

Today I found out that the H-4350 will not duplicate the Hornady 270gr production ammo velocity with the 260gr Accubond. I was at max load, (compressed) and peak velocity was 2742 average. Accuracy was better than Hornady but not as good as previous RL-15 loads. The 300gr Partition loads faired a little better with the H-4350.

Overall I've noticed velocities drop for a given load. Perhaps it's that I now have 149 rounds through the rifle and the bore is a little bit slicker.

Federal 215 primers are the worst for ES and SD in my rifle, Federal 215 M's are better and CCI 250's have been the best for ES and SD numbers. I will try one more batch over the weekend then I'll load the winner for my September hunt.

Some time towards the end of September I may do some testing with Barnes for grins. If they preform better I'll post the results. As it stands now look forward to some hanging Moose meat pics mid September...

Todays results are as follows:

Hornady 270gr Production ammo

2813fps fouling shot prior to Accubond string.

Nosler Accubond 260gr RL-15 CCI 250

74.8gr 2811fps avg. 14fps spread 1.0" group

Nosler Accubond 260gr RL-15 Fed 215 M

74.8gr 2794fps avg. 22fps spread 1.4" group

Nosler Accubond 260gr H-4350 CCI 250

83.4gr compressed 2749fps avg. 23fps spread 1.8" group

Nosler Accubond 260gr H-4350 Fed 215 M

83.4gr compressed 2735fps avg. 23fps spread 2.7" group

Hornady 300gr Production ammo

2624fps fouling shot prior to Partition string.

Nosler Partition 300gr RL-15 CCI 250

71.8gr 2598fps avg. 11fps spread 1.1" group

Nosler Partition 300gr RL-15 Fed 215 M

71.8gr 2555fps avg. 19fps spread 1.9" group

Nosler Partition 300gr H-4350 CCI 250

80.6gr 2572fps avg. 7fps spread 1.3" group

Nosler Partition 300gr H-4350 Fed 215 M

80.6gr 2560fps avg. 26fps spread 1.3" group

Groups are just for reference. I held the best that I could and didn't squeeze the trigger on any shot that wasn't stable.

The rifle was allowed to cool after each 6 shots and was cleaned between Accubond and Partition strings. A fouling shot was fired before the 270's and 300's.

Cheers,