Thread: sticky bullets

Default sticky bullets

Was loading up some 7mm-o8's and in the bullet seatiing prosess the bullets are sticking up in thedie.
    Whats going on with this?
    Tried spraying some One Shot up there to lube it a little but it does it all the time.
    Thanks for any help in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Willy View Post
    Was loading up some 7mm-o8's and in the bullet seatiing prosess the bullets are sticking up in thedie.
    Whats going on with this?
    Tried spraying some One Shot up there to lube it a little but it does it all the time.
    Thanks for any help in advance.
    It's either gunk in the seating plug or a bad match between the inside shape of the seating plug and the shape or orgive of the bullet. I'd dismantle and thoroughly clean the die as a first trial. If that doesn't solve it, then it's a time for a change in seating plugs. They're cheap, so it's not unreasonable to reshape the inside of the one you have and pick up a stock version for other bullets. To reshape the inside, just chuck it in a drill and use a small file inside like a chisel on a lathe. Of course you'll need to decide what shape you want, but that's easy with inletting black or even lipstick.

Thanks BB.
    Its a new set and I've never had this kind of trouble before.
    It is leaving small marks on the bulet, so you are probibly right.
    I'll give it a try.

I run into it fairly frequently with cast bullets. Seems like every time I get a mould, I'm going to have to reshape the plug in at least one die set. One trick I learned over the years- Store the various plugs in the die box they came from, and hang a string tag on them to indicate which bullet they're shaped for. I was lazy and just tossed them in a drawer with other spare die parts for a lot of years, then finally had to sit down with a mike and a selection of cast bullets to figure out which was which. Actually with cast bullets its more a case of the plug deforming the bullets rather than sticking, but the solution is the same.

I'm going to put in another "observation" about the problem. BrownBear is right of course the plug doesn't fit well but I think there is more here. I usually sand the inside of the seater plug to reshape it to fit better and stop the marking. But a 7-08 seater should be designed for spitzers and if that is what you're seating there shoud not be enough downward grip on that bullet from the ill fitting stem to pull the bullet back out of the case on the down stroke. Is that what is happening? If so, then you are not sizing the case neck enough to hold the bullet properly and the problem may be else where.

Certainly marking the bullets is not good but is usually just cosmetic and doesn't effect accuracy unless it is very bad. And I cannot see, after seating to depth, how this stem could pull the bullet out. If you don't seat it but just start it then pull the press handle up and the bullet is stuck in the die, that's different. If that's the case try to chamfer the case mouth better to allow the bullet to enter easier and the take 600 grit sand paper and polish the inside of the seating plug. Try to make a reverse radius (parabolic shape). The opposite of this ()

What brand of dies are you using? RCBS seem to fit spitzers better than some of my Redding seater but they all will do it with some bullets.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Good point on the jacketed spitzer pullout, Murph. I've pulled lead bullets, but never jacketed.

Default Replace it.

AK Willy,

The seater plug in my 30-06 die was grabby, too. I thought the issue was it wasn't shaped right for the TSX bullets.

I had RCBS do a custom seater plug for the 180 grain TSX bullets. I think it ran $16. Maybe +$4 for shipping.

I've since learned the stock seater plug grabs Kodiak 180s and Nosler 150s, too. It doesn't pull them all out after seating them, but many. And they all get that little ring. I even tried chucking the stock plug into a drill and spinning the inside against some emery cloth. No help.

But the custom seater plug seats 'em all. Think about having another one cut for you.

Thanks again for all the help here.
    Yesterday I went out to the loading bench and ran some more brass through the dies and had problems with that, sticking.
    I had the same idea as you mentioned Murphy, I ran the FL dies deeper when the sticking started.
    The lube was fine so I am thinking there is something wrong with the dies.
    I am going to try reshaping and if this dose not work, I may get a new set of dies.
    The dies are RCBS and they are new.
    The bullets seeted are 140 Partions and 140 acbonds.
    Again thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Willy View Post
    The dies are RCBS and they are new.
    The bullets seeted are 140 Partions and 140 acbonds.
    Again thanks
    I've got those dies and use them with Partitions. None of the problems you describe. I'd make a call to RCBS and talk it over with them.

After looking at this more, it seems to be just what Murphy is saying.
    The neck seems to be ok but the bullet sticks bad no mater how far I am seating the bullet.
    I think calling RCBS is the thing to do at this point.I've had this happen a couple times on a .375, but not all the time like the 7mm is doing.
    Thanks again

I would take a couple of the bullets you are having problems with. Remove the seater plug, place it in padded vise jaws, get out some lapping compound. Smear the inside of the seater plug and the bullet. Place the bullet in a drill motor chuck and have at it. Do this with each of the bullet types you are having trouble with. Do a clean up and seat some bullets and look for the ring. I've done this with cast bullets also. This has never failed me.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

OK, here's the up date.
    Took the seating die apart and took the seating plug, placed it in a vice in a strap of leather of course, took the Dremel ans some 220, 400, and 600 grit sand paper, a drop of oil and polished it up.
    Than buffed it out and it works like a champ.
    It didn't look like it was any different than all mu other dies, but it must have been.
    Thanks for the help.
    Bill

Good deal. Glad your back on the bench.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?