Thread: Remington 722 extractors

Default Remington 722 extractors

I have a 722 in 257 Roberts. Have heard the stories of broken extractors in these and the 721's and the problems with finding a replacement. I've got a possible source and am wondering how many sizes there are? It appears that the extractor is different for the .222 but do all the other 722 calibers use the same extractor?

Quote Originally Posted by idahoducker View Post
    I have a 722 in 257 Roberts. Have heard the stories of broken extractors in these and the 721's and the problems with finding a replacement. I've got a possible source and am wondering how many sizes there are? It appears that the extractor is different for the .222 but do all the other 722 calibers use the same extractor?
    I checked with Numrich, my usual source for parts. They list only two sizes, so that's a pretty good clue. They also note that they're out of the larger one as you'll see in the link, so picking one up from a known source might be a good idea. Never broke one in all that I owned, but I kept hearing the same stories.

BTW- The one I used to own in 257 was a noted tack driver. Let a buddy talk me out of it after I had a lefty built on a 700 action, and still feel stupid for parting with it. And he just grins when I make noises about buying it back! The rat.......

The 721 came with the larger of the two. The 722 came with the smaller of the two. I have kept two of each new ones in my box for over 40 years, because of these stories. I have never had to replace one. Now when it comes to the Remington 700 replacements, I can not even guess how many of these I re-riveted/replaced back in bolts?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the info. After about two hours of searching the web I only found one extractor that'll fit. Several for the .222 however. The guy wants $60 for the one I found. Might be cheap insurance.
    Took the solvents and oil to 'er today. Wasn't bad for a 58 year old. Bought it yesterday and found out today that it was made in July of 1950. Nice coincidence. Here's a pic of it pre-scope. Picked up a nice Vari-X 3-9 compact today and will put a few through it tomorrow. Gotta say it's been a great weekend so far.

Man that rifle looks in great shape. Nice for a rifle that's getting close to it's 60th birthday. Mike Walker would be proud.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by idahoducker View Post
    Thanks for the info. After about two hours of searching the web I only found one extractor that'll fit. Several for the .222 however. The guy wants $60 for the one I found. Might be cheap insurance.
    Took the solvents and oil to 'er today. Wasn't bad for a 58 year old. Bought it yesterday and found out today that it was made in July of 1950. Nice coincidence. Here's a pic of it pre-scope. Picked up a nice Vari-X 3-9 compact today and will put a few through it tomorrow. Gotta say it's been a great weekend so far.
    It looks brand new!!!! Obviously lotsa loving care in it's history.

I'm always struck by the little extra drop in the comb, compared to the 700. It's obvious the model was developed in an era when open sites were prime and adding scopes was a secondary thought- exactly the opposite of the 700. I bet you have to use low rings on your scope!

Sweet Roberts. I had a buddy who was a 721 nut, all the ones he had shot well. I wouldnt mind coming across one in the Roberts or a triple deuce.