Thread: What does a Male Mosquito look like???

Cool What does a Male Mosquito look like???

They say that only the female of the species bites, so with that, I've never seen a male mosquito, nor have I observed them in a mating position like I do other flying insects...have you??? Likewise, they say the female sucks blood for the eggs, do the eggs develop AFTER they suck the blood, or do the mosquitos lay the eggs then suck the blood & deliver the nutrients to the eggs (highly doubtful, as they lay & forget them like some reptiles)...???

There seem to me TONS more mosquitos this year than in years past...I'm guessing that the cooler temps allow for more stagnant water, that provides them with ample breeding grouds, may be a large contributing factor, with the amount of mosquitos I see this year...What say you insectologists (aka entomologists)of Alaska???

Marv,

I have a couple books on mosquitoes; one is The Mosquito Book by Scott Anderson and Tony Dierkins, a small little pocketbook written in simple and humorous form.

Anyway, to answer some of your questions, the females suck blood to provide protein to the eggs during development. The blood doesn't fertilize the eggs, but fertilization occurs only after a blood meal.

Inre mating, here's what The Mosquito Book says:
    "Mosquitoes mate after the female flies into a swarm of males - a huge mosquito singles bar if you will. This swarm may be as small as a softball or as large as a classroom, and mating takes place almost immediately - in midair!"

No, I've never seen it. Skeets have been real bad here of late...but that's typical for us here, especially after some wet weather and calm conditions. You don't want to be in the woods without a headnet and/or bug dope.

The other book I have on mosquitoes is Mosquito - The Story of Man's Deadliest Foe by Spielman and D'Antonio. Great read, more of an overall account from a science perspective and how the little mosquito shaped world history and continues to do so by the spread of disease.

Here's a link with some good info too:
    http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art32941.asp

We had fun one winter trying to find mosquitoes for some grayling we were keeping in a fish tank in the house. Deep cold that winter had froze the ice very thickly and one day when we finally chopped through to get water it created some kind of artesian effect and water came shooting up under pressure along with dozens of grayling and other fry. My son saved a dozen or so of the grayling and the rest of that winter we searched out dead standing spruce with big straight checks running up the tree...cut those for firewood but also for mosquito food for the fish. The mosquitoes (and flies etc) like to overwinter in those cracks in trees...split one right down the check and dozens of mosquitoes are in there. We collected thousands that way...interesting to bring them in and watch them come to life too! Way cool to see the grayling swarm to the top of tank when it was feeding time.

Cheers,

They look like this

"We collected thousands that way...interesting to bring them in and watch them come to life too!"

That'd be a way cool thing to watch...

I never realized that mosquitos didn't need water to breed, they can use moist soil as well, which explains why they "came out the wood work" from all four corners of my lil cabin I am in...

& Lujon, you otter be banned just for that pic man! SICK! ;) :P
    Last edited by gogoalie; 07-05-2008 at 23:29. Reason: playful jest