Thread: Kaligan Island King Salmon Set net fishery

Default Kaligan Island King Salmon Set net fishery

How does a person find out how many king salmon are caught off the beaches on Kalgin island.

What is the average number of king salmon harvested in this fishery?

When does the fishery Start? ( mid June? )

What percentage of king salmon in this fishery come from upper Cook Inlet? Kenai River?

I know some of the Kalgin set net sites are having a very good year and Northern Cook Inlet King salmon are not showing Up. Could this be one of the reasons?

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Early King salmon fishery

I don't know if I totally trust their numbers? But their charts points out one of the biggest problems in Cook Inlet! Commercial fishing to early.

Ten days of commercial fishing 5-26-08, - 6-19-09
    4800 Kings caught and only catching 17,000 Reds!
    To me that a huge wast of a public resource.

Very few commercial fishermen fish before July 1 It's not worth their time, effort or fuel. Commercial and Sport fishermen would all benefit If the Game and fish limit most if not all commercial fishing before July 1

You may be onto something here. You should contact someone about this big problem of the commercial guys fishing to early and always getting all the fish, leaving none for other users. I'm surprised there is 1 fish left to hit the rivers when guys like you know the commercial guys are soaking the public resource for all it's worth. I think you have made a new discovery. Fish and Game needs to be apprised of this discovery and do something about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert johnson View Post
    I don't know if I totally trust their numbers? But their charts points out one of the biggest problems in Cook Inlet! Commercial fishing to early.

Very few commercial fishermen fish before July 1 It's not worth their time, effort or fuel. Commercial and Sport fishermen would all benefit If the Game and fish limit most if not all commercial fishing before July 1
    how wasted? 'wasted' just because the commercial and private sport fishery doesn,t get to catch them?

the operative word in your ill-informed rant is 'public.' the commercial nets make fish available to the vast majority of the public that doesn't fish for kings.

Default Bob, where did you get these numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert johnson View Post

I looked at the Kaligan Island set net fishery catches for this year and they were 643 chinook and 20,329 sockeye. This fishery is designed to target Big River and Crescent River stocks and I believe there is a management plan for the Big River fishery (5AAC 21.368) which limits the fishery to a cap of 1000 chinook.

So I am not sure how the Kaligan Island question got diverted to the numbers you cite above. Hope this helps put things in perspective.

Also, your comment about a wasted chinook salmon is really not true. As Gramphy has pointed out in most years there is harvestable surplus going into the escapements. Letting more fish go into the escapements over the goal is a waste of fish by definition relative to human use.

Also, the Northern District fishery is a targeted, with restrictions on gear,time, and cap chinook salmon fishery so the ratio of chinook to sockeye really does not apply.

Trying to make a correlation between the 643 Kaligan set net Kings caught and the dismal Northern District Deshka King count is quite a stretch. Who knows where those 643 Kings are headed. Even if that commercial fishery was completely removed, would it have made a difference in the Northern District? No.

I think it is time to get past pointing a finger at the commercial fishermen for the Northern District's problems.