Thread: Looking for structure on ocean bottom

Default Looking for structure on ocean bottom

Hey there,

So I'm running my eyes over my GPS blue charts and I come across some serious bottom structure in a rather remote location in AK (i.e an area I never see people fishing). It turns out I'm headed to the village nearest this place in a few days (though its still some 40+miles from that village) to try for some bottom fish (lings, yellow eye, butts). Thats my only clue for those of you who want to hunt down this map, i.e. its in AK and within 40-50 miles from a village. I've got a boat to use out there and I thought maybe I'd swing out to this location and give it a try. I have no clue really what will be out there since I've never fished a bottom structure as unique as this. Only thing is I don't want to burn that much fuel on a whim. The spot is a good ways from some fishing I know will be good for halibut. Thought maybe I'd throw the idea by a couple of you and see what you thought. Wondering what type of fish might be in the area and if anyone has fished a relief similar in any way to this. I don't intend on giving away all the secrets of this place, and hey, it may suck, but I guess if you were patient enough on the numerous AK blue charts you might come across it. Anyway here goes! Let me know what you think might be down there. I'm leaving Fairbanks in a 2 weeks to head over there. I'm looking at the hole in the pic. It is ~2 miles long and almost ~1/2 mile wide at the widest point. At first I wasn't sure if it was even real!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mrdan81 View Post
    Hey there,

So I'm running my eyes over my GPS blue charts and I come across some serious bottom structure in a rather remote location in AK (i.e an area I never see people fishing). It turns out I'm headed to the village nearest this place in a few days (though its still some 40+miles from that village) to try for some bottom fish (lings, yellow eye, butts). Thats my only clue for those of you who want to hunt down this map, i.e. its in AK and within 40-50 miles from a village. I've got a boat to use out there and I thought maybe I'd swing out to this location and give it a try. I have no clue really what will be out there since I've never fished a bottom structure as unique as this. Only thing is I don't want to burn that much fuel on a whim. The spot is a good ways from some fishing I know will be good for halibut. Thought maybe I'd throw the idea by a couple of you and see what you thought. Wondering what type of fish might be in the area and if anyone has fished a relief similar in any way to this. I don't intend on giving away all the secrets of this place, and hey, it may suck, but I guess if you were patient enough on the numerous AK blue charts you might come across it. Anyway here goes! Let me know what you think might be down there. I'm leaving Fairbanks in a 2 weeks to head over there. I'm looking at the hole in the pic. It is ~2 miles long and almost ~1/2 mile wide at the widest point. At first I wasn't sure if it was even real!

Not an ocean fishin' guy but that hole looks like it has some possibilities.
    The dropoff 3 miles away looks like it needs some shrimp pots droped on it too!!!!

Default good luck

I never fish depressions in the ocean. I look for rises,ledges, reefs and pinnacles. I doubt that is really there. GPS electronic chart cartography in Alaska is suspect at best.

Good luck

Agreed... maybe drop a pot or two to see what's there, but as far as fishing goes, there's an older publication available here in Juneau titled "Salmon Holes and Halibut Hills"... emphasis on the "HILLS" part of the title.

I just updated my CMAP electronic charts, and I've been running over "interesting looking" ridges and holes for the past 3 weeks. So far, at least 8 out of 10 don't exist, or are so minor they just don't warrant my attention.

If you know of a good spot closer to where you're staying, I wouldn't waste the fuel to go prospecting. Then again, the way our "close to home" spots are getting pillaged this year, it might be worth more of a run just to get away from the impacted areas...

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default In agreement with the above...

Pinnacles, sea mounts, etc. often work well (fishing) because of the upwelling & current variance to bring in & attract food; seems like a depression wouldn't yield the same conditions to produce a food chain affect.
    Please post your results if you make the run though, as fishing is fishing!
    Jim

Default Mr.Dan81

Dan, I'm not going to tell you not to go there but a few points: Kelp on the chart means lota kelp-clogged water intakes,fouled wheels(props). Rocks lota rocks are shown on the chart, they cause boats to ride very low in the water. Tides- big tides, make water do crazy thing when it goes around obstructions like rocks. Surf in shallow water is deadly and it happens fast as tides change and wind picks up. Then when the engines quit when they foul and you go adrift and there isn't anybody around to help bad day worse day. Only my two cents.
    p.s. if its in the rock or windy river area south of Seward about 40 miles keep your head out. Good luck