Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spin Fishing Rod & Reels

Default Spin Fishing Rod & Reels

I had some questions that I had hoped you folks would be willing to answer for me. I am a New Yorker (not from the city) coming to Alaska for the first time with my father and we would like to purchase our rods and reels ahead of time. We would also like to get it right the first time, which is why I am posting here. Please answer any or all of the questions below.

What length spin fishing rod do you use for silvers and what line weight is it rated for? What length spin fishing rod do you use for pinks and what line weight is it rated for (if different than for silvers)?

What size (line capacity) spin fishing reel do your use for silvers? What size (line capacity) spin fishing reel do your use for pinks (if different than for silvers)?

Default First Time Silvers

Before you get a thousand answers with a million combinations of reels, lines, and rods, I would suggest you hold off buying your equipment until you get near to where you will be fishing. If you're going through Anchorage, you can stop in at a number of places for advice regarding the equipment you'll need at the location you'll be fishing and according to your personal preference and experience. If you're arriving in another city, I'm sure you'll find an outfitter ready to help you. Your open ended question can't really be answered effectively. Most of us have too many combinations of our own in our boat and garage to decide which to use ourselves. It's always the choice of the day. Have fun when you get here.

Default I Second That

Quote Originally Posted by Sterlingmike View Post
    Before you get a thousand answers with a million combinations of reels, lines, and rods, I would suggest you hold off buying your equipment until you get near to where you will be fishing. If you're going through Anchorage, you can stop in at a number of places for advice regarding the equipment you'll need at the location you'll be fishing and according to your personal preference and experience. If you're arriving in another city, I'm sure you'll find an outfitter ready to help you. Your open ended question can't really be answered effectively. Most of us have too many combinations of our own in our boat and garage to decide which to use ourselves. It's always the choice of the day. Have fun when you get here.
    Wait till you get here. I use nothing special with my spinning/rod combos and do quite well fishing with just basic stuff and asking questions on what is being used where as far as tackle when I decide which area and which fish I am trying to catch. Not much rocket science involved here when the fish are in is what I have found.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

I am going to buy as many of my supplies as i can when i get up there. I know it may be more expensive but i want my money going to Alaska's fishing economy. I have bought a few things from people on ebay who are from Alaska so thats ok by me i just want Alaskans to get the money.

Default Cheaper in Soldotna!

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I am going to buy as many of my supplies as i can when i get up there. I know it may be more expensive but i want my money going to Alaska's fishing economy.
    Prices at Trusty beat the prices down here in the PNW by a longshot! And there's no stinkin' 8.8% sales tax either!

1) Get the right gear
    2) for the right fish
    3) at the right place
    4) for the right price

Trusty's got all four bases covered !
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

What is the PNW?? what does PNW stand for?

Pacific Northwest
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Thanks for the responses. More appreciated.

I do intend to purchase much of what I need in AK. However, I do not want to drop a lot of money all at once so I will be purchasing some of my equipment beforehand (a little at a time). So, I would appreciate any and all responses in regards to my original questions, which I have listed again below.

I appreciate the knowledge and experience that can be found on this forum, which is why I look forward to your responses. Your responses will undoubtedly vary, give different fishing preferences and situations, but they will still give me a better idea of what to be looking for.

Thanks,
    Chad

What length spin fishing rod do you use for silvers and what line weight is it rated for? What length spin fishing rod do you use for pinks and what line weight is it rated for (if different than for silvers)?

What size (line capacity) spin fishing reel do your use for silvers? What size (line capacity) spin fishing reel do your use for pinks (if different than for silvers)?

Where in alaska are you going?

Default A good question...

My father and I haven't quite decided specifically where we will be fishing, though we will have to be making that decision soon. We are definitely open to suggestions/recommendations. To give you a vague idea, which is all I have right now, we will be spending 2-4 days south of Anchorage before and after our halibut fishing and then the rest of our two week trip north of Anchorage.

Thanks,
    Chad

Default gear

depends of what type of fiserman you are. I can tell you from experence a good grafite rod will get you more fish hands down. if you watch people catch and release on slow days on the rivers almost always will sport high end gear, for a reason your best gear is just not for lookin good. it really makes a difference in the right hands. If your just here to catch fish and go home a 20 walmart special will do. Watch the guys catching them consistantly and see what they are fishing with.

If you end up near soldotna on the Kenai peninsula. Go to Trustworthy hardware right by the bridge over the river. You can find everything you need depending on what you are fishing for. Plus the prices are right or try Fred Meyer. I'm in Chicago and I leave in 3 weeks for the Kenai River.

I am using a Medium 9'6" rod for Sockeyes. I think it gives a control on the fish in the fast current.

http://www.soldotnahardware.com/

Wink

Shimano Stratic 4000 and a G Loomis 9'6" medium GL-2 with 14# test.
    I have used this combo for Silvers and Pinks and even cautght a 40# halibut off the beach in Karluk with it.

Always buy the best you can afford and you will never be sorry

Good Luck
    TL

Default Thanks. What else do people use?

Again, thanks for the replies. Others? What do you use when spin fishing for silvers and pinks? Do you typically use the same rod/reel combo when fishing silvers and pinks or different set-ups?

Thanks,
    Chad

I am from az and I have fished the kenai for the last 9 years since I was 20. Everything you need is there. Living in az you should see what the sales guys down here will try to sell you for that "alaska fishing adventure". I know because i bring friends eveey year and you should see the expensive crap that they are told is essential. If you must buy a rod and reel before you go, I use a medium action 9' ugly stick with a pfleuger presidental reel. 25 lb test. Not overly sporty (I call it my winch) but fishing the kenai from the bank has lost me too many fish to weak line and crappy gear which is why i bought what i did. This has lasted me for years now and I have never had a problem with the rod or the reel. This is effective for pinks, reds, silvers, maybe a king (never tried). Kings are going to require heavier gear and fly fishing is going to require enough skill that you would allready know what to bring. You have to find out how flipping works too. You don't have to spends hundreds of dollars on gear but keep in mind that cheap gear that fails when you are out in the boonies can ruin a day of fishing. Cheap line too! good luck. If you r near soldotna at the end of July, come see me. I have a few free tips.

Default silvers and pinks

A 7 to 71/2 ft. medium action 3 piece graphite rod that will that handles 12 to 17 # line , loaded with 14# test mono or braid will be perfect. Much more than that and you will not appreciate the fight. Carry it on the plane with you put your reel in your carry on. this is what we used on outfitted trips for silvers and it was great. I had taken a 6' medium action glass rod and was a little under gunned but still caught lots of silvers and pinks on it. Hit the parks hwy streams for silvers and pinks.

8 1/2 to 9 1/2 foot IM6 graphite medium action. You can't go wrong with this. 12-20lb quality line like Maxima, and as high of line capacity as you can easily handle and balances good. I use a 8 1/2' IM7 graphite med. action rod spooled with 220 yards of 12lb berkely big game or maxima line for all great lakes salmon in the rivers here. We regularly catch 30-40 kings a day between 16 and 25lbs each. This should be a great setup for silvers and pinks in AK. Let us know how you do, and have fun!

Pinks & Silvers can be caught on light tackle from the bank. I would consider purchasing
    an Ugly Stix Light (6-15lb) 7'. Shimano and Phlueger are excellent spinning reels. Choose one that can hold 10 - 15 lb mono.

For most places I use just a basic setup. I don't use expensive rods or reels. Most of my rods are second hand. I do have an 8 foot g loomis 10-12 line. it has a faster action but rarly does that make a difference.
    As far as line goes I use 10-12lb line for all salmon except kings.
    I usually make sure I have around 200 feet of line, but you can get by with less if you are fishing small water.

Default 7-8 ft. spin fishing rod or 8-9 1/2 ft. spin fishing rod?

So, it looks as though there are two kinds of people responding. There are those who use a 7-8ft. rod and those who use an 8-9 1/2ft. rod. Which is better or are they both appropriate depending on the fishing situation? Would you use the shorter rod for pinks and the longer rods for silvers or the same rod for each (shorter or longer)? Lastly, what size reel do you put with your rods?

Thanks,
    Chad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast